Jennings

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by ex_isp, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Gonna try a JA-9.

Have been watching them, learning on them for a while.
    Curious. Technically, they have some advantages.
    I like the safety 3% better.
    I like the take down 8-10% better.
    The barrel "appears" to be 2-5% lower...= recoil in arm instead of wrist...
    Double stack mag.

Can get CHEAP on gunbroker.
    Simply curious...

Anyone had one? Comments?

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    We've had some discussion on that very subject lately...
    I may keep my eyes open for one, locally...
    Looks like they have finally done something right!

3. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    You already know I got one man.:foilhat:

4. Kiln

Kiln Member

They're alright if you don't have another option. Having fired one years ago, I can tell you that without gloves the recoil is worse than on the C9. The wide backstrap of the JA9 isn't very ergonomic and your hand takes a beating. The one I shot functioned like it should buuuuut...I've seen lots of cracked frames online. I've seen a few in person (not on my gun, I've never owned one). They also suffer from issues involving the loaded chamber indicator.

The mags are also so cheap I've seen the welds seperate. I just think the gun is under designed given the zamak alloy it's made of and the chambering.

Also, if I remember correctly, Jennings firearms didn't have breech blocks, so the bolt face can wear a huge amount.

With steel guns available at $250 or so, why would you risk buying a used Jennings on Gunbroker that may or may not be on the brink of a failure for $100 plus transfer/shipping?

5. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    $160 for the JA9 and $150 for the JA380, you get two guns and thirty eight rounds downrange in less than a minute for $310.00. Buy a new JA9 you wont regret it.

[​IMG]

6. tomtull

tomtull Member

I've had good luck with my J.A9,so far.about 600rnds through it,no problems ,and don't notice the recoil really.it was my first semi auto pistol and I like it ;¬]

7. They are cool cheap pistols and me personally I think they are nice guns because of all the features they have. Two mags, loaded chamber indicator, cocking indicator, glock style sights and a easy take down. I liked mine it was a nice buy I sold it to buy a pocket glock, a glock 42 but it was a cool gun.

8. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    My brother in law is on his third JA9. The first gun broke a firing pin after less than a box of ammunition. That gun was sent to Jimenez for repair and they sent him back a brand new gun ( they never said why they replaced the gun rather than just putting in a new firing pin).
    The second gun went about 600 rounds before the frame cracked. This may have been user error on his part. He told me that at least half of those 600 rounds were 9mm +p reloads that he bought for cheap at a gun show. He didn't realize that the Jimenez was not rated for +p ammo.
    The third gun has seen less than 100 rounds so far, but it has worked perfectly.
    My personal opinion is if you are going to get one and put a 100 rounds through it and then put it in your glove box or nightstand, you will be fine. If you are going to get one and go to the range with it every weekend, get something else.

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    You mean used? :D

I have been trying to compile a list of Steel and Alloy framed guns, for future
    purchases. I am very interested in your take, Mr. KILN! Please give your list...

10. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I've got a Jennings..... but it shoots arrows! :rofl:

Attached Files:

11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I don't like them one bit. Pure crap...

12. I know that they are NOT plus P rated.... that's OK. They are double stack mags... that's a plus.

I know the frames crack... a +P issue.

HPs are Zamak to!. As long as you shoot "normal ammo" ...?

Theydo NOT use the firing pin as an ejector...

Within design parameters, they should be ok...?

Can get one here for .415 transfer on other end an zero here...

I'm going to give it a try! Of COURSE!, I will review here (and elsewhere)!!!

13. Kiln

Kiln Member

It isn't just a +P issue. It's a durability issue. Trust me, the guys over at the Jimenez Arms forums loved their JA9's too at first. There were tons of posts about them being built like tanks and having a "solid feel" to them. Then 500 to 2,000 rounds downrange most of the guys had disabling failures. I'm telling you, the JA9 is a terrible gun and if you fire it much, it'll cost you a $60 overnight to the factory.

I'm not a snob. I own a half dozen guns that are considered junk guns including a Raven, a J22, an HP22, and two Rohm revolvers. Despite this I'm trying to dissuade you from buying the Jimenez Arms 9mm. If you're set on the design I'd go with the LC380. It's the same platform but in .380acp and the guys have had better luck with them.

14. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Why? Explain YOUR CRAPPINESS

15. moona11

Do I really need to? Have you not read the other posts? I've shoot 4 of them and broke all 4. They are not safe. Why waste money one crap?

16. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Because people say the same about Hi Point, I don't believe you sorry.

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    ...so sayeth the gungod

(little "g"):D

18. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

At least he didn't say their design flaws could be fixed for a nickel...... Nice try though...

19. moona11

I'm tired of explaining things to you. Just going to sit and watch you burn out.