Jerky

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by SHOOTER Z, Jan 5, 2008.

1. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

I love jerky I went shopping on the way home from work this morning and picked up some Wally World beef jerky the original flaver MMMM is that good. I always take a ziplock bag and put about 1/2 of a larger bag in it and throw it in my backpack. that and also slimjims are the best. Now to add some hardtack and some small cans of Bushes beans in it and I can eat like a king when I work :D

2. I keep a good bit of jerky onhand and toss a few bags in my pack when I head out for a day trip, more when going farther. Jerky makes a good GHB/BOB ration and when in the factory sealed bags will last a good long while. SlimJim's cause me a lot of stomach problems so I stick with regular jerky.

3. gotta love jerky. When I(or sometimes family) gets a deer we usually make jerky from a lot of it. GOOD stuff.

4. The only problem with jerky is that it is extremely expensive unless you learn how to do it yourself. For a survival skill, it would rank pretty high on the list if you ask me. I believe the indians used to dry their meat in the sun. Someone?? Anyway, if you could preserve meat without refrigeration, I think that would be a very valuable skill.

5. bobm

bobm Member

Go to Wally World and buy a dehydrator. At the market buy Rump Roast or London Broil, Soy sauce, Teryaki Sauce, Jar of crushed garlic, and course ground black pepper. Or better yet if you have Deer, Elk, Bufflo, or Moose.
    Put the eat in the freezer about an hour then slice it about 1/4" thick, cutting as much fat and grissle off it as possible. Mix the Soy Sauce, Teryaki sauce, Garlic and Black Pepper together to taste. Put the meat in a Large container or Freezer style Gal zip loc bags, pour the liquid mixture over it. Let it sit in fridge for at least 8 hours, then take out drain and put on dehydrator racks, and turn the machine on. I have 8 racks I use and it takes about 10-15 hours for the meat to dry out. Turn it over about 1/2 way thru. Shut the machine off, turn the meat over rder. You generall get 4 racks with the machine and that will make about 2 QT size zip loc bags of jerky, for about 1/2 what you pay in the stores.
    If you dont like Soy or teryaki use what you want experiment. DO NOT add SALT if you Soy or Teryaki. You can also buy the grease gun type press and make it with ground meats, just buy the seasoning packs at Wally world. If you have a Vac Seal Machine put the meat in that and it will last a couple months. I used to make this and Nut and Fruit Trail Mix, VAC SEAL it and send it to my son when he was in the GULF. It could take up to a month to get to him and it was still good.
    Also don't forget that VAC SEAL machine works great for long term storage of ammo. Seal the boxes or loose ammo and put it in GI ammo Cans or Dry Boxes.

6. my uncle does his using ground venison now. Takes far less time and the butcher shop trims all the fat for him before they grind it.

7. ummm jerky

I use this reciepe my self and it works well just make extra for snacking on .

8. SHOOTER Z

The Walmart {Great Value] brand is not that expensive and is very tasty as a little snack

9. Two things.
    Store bought jerky is usually not dry enough and has too many additives inc oils for bacteria to grow on.
    You're best off doing your own jerky with no additives like oils and making it very dry then vac seal it and it should last a very good long time.

The other thing is vac sealing.
    I do vac seal my ammo. I put it in plastic cases then vac seal it then into a watertight ammo box.

I also vac seal many of my dried goods.

In my BOB almost everything is vac sealed inc flashlight, batteries, bowie Knife, bagged ammo, fire starting stuff and even a bag of clothing. I want my gear fresh and dry when I need it.

10. bobm

bobm Member

45acp,
    When I started VAC SEALING my ammo the guys at work thought I'd stayed out in the sun too long, but then one of them heard a guy at a gun show saying he did the same thing. Now they just joke about the amount of ammo and Black Powder I keep in the house. But with 6 different handguns calibers, and 6 different rifle calibers, plus the black powder rifles, you end up with a bit of ammo.
    Also works good for medication and RX supplies when camping, boating, or Hiking.

11. For a home made dehydrator use one of those cheap square table top fans. Use the cheap furnace filters for your drying rack. Place your meets sandwiched between two of the filters then bungy the filters to the fan and let it run till you have jerky. Saw this on Alton Browns 'Good Eats'.

12. EasyE

EasyE Member

I saw that episode, I love that show. gives a lot of good info on the science of cooking. My dad makes some killer jerky with a simular reciepe sp?, but he adds beer to it.

Easy

13. Okay, the Wal-mart thing sounds great, but what would you do out in the wild with no electricity. Anybody know how to do it without electricity or a dehydrater?? I think that info would make this thread more valuable since we are in the "Survival Zone."

Case in point. Average family of four have bugged out. Dad bags a 160 lb deer, elk, whatever.... You can't eat it all before it spoils, so how do you DRY it in the woods?? That's what I want to know. :D

14. You got me on that one Plankowner. The only thing I can think of is building some sort of smoker. Eskimos dry their meets including fish in the sun but that is in very cold dry air. Brazilians also have a method of drying meet hanging from a tree in the air but I don't know anything about the process. I had a Brazilian friend who tried this method down here in Florida but the meat promptly rotted. He did tell me it was popular in Brazil and a method hundreds or thousands of years old. The only other thing I can think of is to bury in salt.

15. SHOOTER Z

Ask and you shall recieve http://www.texascooking.com/features/dec2002makingjerky.htm

16. dirtimdebbie

dirtimdebbie Guest

Done this a bunch. Here's how:

Surefire process that has worked around a million years.

Build a rack about waist high using forked sticks and crosspieces as the rack. Build a low, smokey fire below the rack. You want smoke, not flame. Punky wood works best.

Cut the meat in strips along the grain. Slice between 1/8-1/4" thick. Sock the salt to it if salt is available, speeds the drying process. Use pepper if you want too, or have it. Hang the strips of meat on the rack and keep the smoke going. You are smoking and drying the meat, not cooking it.

After the meat turns dark and starts looking dry, but is still flexable, turn it over on the rack and smoke the other side. Dry the meat untill it is dry enought to almost break when you bend it. It will probably be black and nasty looking. That means it is about right.

Stick with beef, venisim, elk, mose, animals with fat marbled into the meat. No pork or rabbit, they carry parisites. Pork and mutton have too much grease and go rancid.

The process will take about 8 hours on a dry sunny day.

17. 69burbon

69burbon Well-Known Member

If you can find them the old wire refrigerator racks work great. Basically any BBQ grill (charcoal) can be used to make jerky if needed. We used to have an old fridge that was converted into a smoker. Load it up with charcoal, add the hickory and apple wood chips and smoke away. Man that was good Jerky.