JH FTF 1st round

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by JH45, Oct 12, 2014.

1. JH45

JH45 Member

My JH45 will not feed from a full magazine on an empty chamber, but if I only add two rounds or hand insert a round in the chamber and then add the full magazine it will run like a champ. Once it gets going there are zero issues until the magazine runs out. Everything except the frame has been replaced.

The rounds get stuck in an upward position. I have put less than 300 rounds through so far. Any suggestions?

I used Tula, Wolf, and Federal and magazines are all new.

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in shortly, but you could bend the front lips of the magazine in to constrict the mag a bit more to prevent the round from flipping up as it is stripped from the mag. Are you shooting ball ammo or hollow points?

3. JH45

JH45 Member

4. JH45

JH45 Member

Is there a “special” way to rack the slide? I pull it back all the way and let it go. Seems like an OE and not the pistol. All other times it runs without any issues.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Slingshot it. Pull it back and let 'er go. They like being abused. I would check the clearance of those little tabs on the front of your mags. They could be too far apart allowing the round to shift to one side preventing it from tracking properly up the feed ramp giving you the flip feeds. I had to do that for one of my 4095 magazines. My mags and your mags are virtually identical save for the follower and a spacer strip.

EDIT: Secondly, with new mags, the common solution is to let them sit loaded for a while and/or load and unload them a bunch of times to work the springs and break them in. Have also seen the suggestion to work the follower up and down with a pencil if you value your thumbs and don't own an uplula or other mag loader.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  6. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

With having a JH, I'll assume the mags are wore some?
    Do you have more than 1 magazine?
    Is the problem happening with other magazines?
    Did this problem just start or as long as you have owned the gun?
    I have both the JH & JC, can't really tell the difference between the 2.
    MoM still makes the new JH mags.

7. JH45

JH45 Member

No, New.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Always. Everything except the frame has been replaced by Mom.

8. When loading the mag, push the rounds fully to the rear. After loading, slap the back of mag against your palm a couple of times to help seat the cartridges. Allow some more break-in time for the mags & gun. :)

9. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

Leave your new mags loaded for a while to break in the springs. If it's feeding just fine during normal operation, it sounds like the issue may be operator error. Just pull back and let go. Don't try to ease it in there. Don't tilt it to look in the ejection port either. Just grab, pull, let go. Nothing else.

Alternately I usually like to take advantage of that +1 anyway, so why not just get used to dropping an extra round in the chamber to start? Though I could see how this could be a problem when changing magazines if using it defensively.

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    +1 for Rach and Vin!

10 rounds in a JHP, 9+1 :D

11. MachoMelvin

If you have the problem with more than 1 magazine, I would think that your problem is in the gun? I know you said you just got it back from MoM, but she must have missed something. If it were mine, I would load & soak the mags in motor oil, wipe them off and allow to sit for 3-4 days. If problems persist, I would send it back. By the way, is you JH a smooth slide or a textured slide? If it is a smooth slide YOU should ignore everything I just said & PM me to see how you can send this gun to me, hehehe!

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Say what? You are going to leave the bullets in the mag, in oil for a few days? Not sure I like that idea.

I have never once had to let the mags sit loaded. I have only ever smoothed the inside of the lips, and adjusted them in or out.

13. JH45

JH45 Member

Worked fine for Mom.

14. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

So they are into S&M.

15. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Macho you are such an altruistic human being

16. JH45

JH45 Member

Mom said it was the heel magazine catch.

17. MachoMelvin

Nope, I have a tall glass in my shop, I just dip the loaded mag in, pull it out & wipe the outside off & let is lay on a towel. Some one told me this when I got my 1st HP. I haven't had a problem with new mags since. And I always try several different mags when I have chambering issues. No since messing up a good mag for no reason?

18. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    They're brand new mags that MoM fired up outdated tooling and made special for him. They just need breaking in and maybe some fine tuning.