JHP .45 acp and Glock 30sf

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by sicfish, May 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. I thought many of the readers of this forum might be interested in my recent purchase of both a Hi Point JHP .45 acp and a Glock 30sf.

I traded a few shotguns for a brand new Glock 30sf at a local gun shop. I put 175 rounds threw the gun. I liked it, when it worked. In the first 75 rounds I had several failures to return to battery. I wrote it off as bad ammo or magazines that needed to be broken in. 100 rounds later still the same issue, but now I experienced several return to battery but no trigger reset. The 30sf was taken back to the shop and they have since shipped back to Glock for inspection.

Shortly after my trade/purchase of the 30sf I came across an opportunity to buy a brand new Hi Point JHP 45 for $149.96, out the door, as the saying goes. 280 rounds later and no malfunctions. A soft-shooting gun. It's big, heavy and not too pretty (it's starting to grow on me), but it's reliable. I like Glocks but I also like the Hi Point. I would highly recommend the JHP to anyone interested in .45 acp.

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    If you would, please provide an update on yet G30SF when it comes back. I am curious about what causes the out of battery behavior. My own 30SF has had some minutely out of battery strikes, many of which don't always set off the primer because of the shallower strike depth.

3. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

You overpaid by $1.96 on your JHP, I got mine for $148.00 OTD. ;) :D For us Glock impaired what is a 30SF?

4. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

The JHP is accurate, dependable and a great value.

5. Think1st

Florida
    The 30SF is the compact .45 model, with "SF" indicating the short-frame model, which has a reduced front-to-back length at the top of the backstrap. It's an accurate and comfortable pistol to shoot, too. There are just a few -isms that some of them exhibit. That is why I look forward to hearing the report from Glock.

6. I knew I overpaid for that gun. Ha.

7. I will be sure post an update along with results from a range test. I don't expect to receive it back for another week or so. My impression is that Glock's customer service is good, but not as good as Hi-Point's.

8. I completely agree with you. It's also fun to shoot.

9. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Funniest part about getting my JHP was I was not planing on it. I was at Cabela's and they had it at a price I could not refuse. I figured what the hell for that price I can't go wrong.

10. Think1st

Florida
    When I was in Kaliforniastan, there was an LGS in Watsonville that used to have an annual Glock Days event, where certified Glock armorers would inspect pistols for free. The armorer they had there, one day, changed out my worn recoil spring and installed an upgraded trigger group for free after inspecting my G21.

I wish that there had been such an event when I was in South Carolina. It would have been nice to get his take on my 30SF's little issue.

11. I received the pistol back from Glock yesterday. They replaced the recoil spring assembly and the trigger bar connector. It now has the -3 connector. I am going to try to go to the range today to test it. Less than two weeks time and over a holiday too. Very good customer service. Almost as good as Hi-Point's.

Range update: 100 rounds, zero malfunctions. Looks like Glock fixed the pistol. I also shot my JHP and it was flawless and softer to shoot. The trigger is not as nice as the Glock's, but for $450 less I am not complaining. Hi Point pistols are the absolute best bargain available. I will always keep my Hi Point. Always.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  12. Think1st

Florida
    Interestingly enough, I seem to recall there having been an offer for Gen 4 owners to exchange recoil springs, awhile back. I wonder if the issue with those was affecting the G30SF.

13. Grats on your satisfaction with the JHP, but a word of advice. You shouldn't tell the people on Glockforum. their heads might explode. We own three Glocks, and they all work, but one had to be sent back after only ten rounds. It broke one of the frame rails, no hassle Glock replaced the frame under warranty.

I like my Glocks, but they are not anywhere near perfect. Awww I can hear some of those heads exploding right now.

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Depends on how you (rhetorical 'you') define PERFECTION I guess. My experience with the brand finds nothing close in any estimation. Good basic platform and starting point, but still needing lots of refinement. One definition of 'perfection' is completeness. Not even close there, either. Hence the vast proliferation of aftermarket parts and accessories, which is cool! :cool:

Attached Files:

15. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

GSSF events have armorers that work the guns for free.

It is easy to limp wrist a Glock and cause malfunctions.

I thought the 30S was the short frame, and the SF was the slimmer slide?

16. That is the Glock rule, they never fail, and if they do the shooter has a limp wrist.

OTH if a HP occasionally fails it is a POS.

17. The 30S is the slimmer slide. It's basically the Glock 36 slide on a 30 frame.

Glock fixed my pistol. 100 rounds no malfunctions.

18. Advice noted. Yes, I am well aware of Glock snobs. I like my Glocks too, and they're not perfect. I take the Glock "Perfection" to be a marketing gimmick. I also like my JHP. A really good pistol for a great price.

19. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Bass-Ack-Wards!!!

And you call yourself a "Glock Fanboi"

Turn in your Fanboi Card! :rofl:

Attached Files:

20. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I shall punish myself by immediatlely driving to Key Largo and shooting my brother's Gen 3 G30 no extra letters...............I'll take my 27, and my 23. He won't shoot them as the .40 is too much for his broken wrist with titanium plates and screws.......He will however shoot the 995TS..........I gotta "pack!" :p