JHP 45 mag won't lock in gun

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by LostFedExMan, Aug 23, 2014.

1. LostFedExMan

LostFedExMan Member

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum/hi-points/first time pistol owner. Anyways yesterday I got my JHP 45, very exciting. Everything seemed fine, mag locked in the gun and ejected perfectly, I just haven't had a chance to shoot it. Well today I pulled it out to put on new grips that just came in the mail, and all of the sudden the mag won't lock in the gun. I put the old grips on to see if that was the problem, the mag still won't lock in the gun, it just falls right out. Tried it with no grips on, same thing. I tried searching and didn't have any luck finding info on this particular problem. Does anybody have an idea as to what I can do to fix this?

Thanks for any help,
    -Lost

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  2. onelife

onelife Member

When you took the grips off there's a little bent bar that puts tension on the mag release. It probably fell off when you changed the grips.

3. onelife

onelife Member

Take your right hand grip off and see if there is a bar connected to the mag release.

4. onelife

onelife Member

There will be a notch where it sits

5. LostFedExMan

LostFedExMan Member

Well it's fixed. There was a spring on the old grip the pushes the mag release. I don't know why it wouldn't work when I put the original grips back on, but I put the spring from the old grip on the new grip and everything works again. Thanks for the input guys

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Little late to the party but, 380 & c9 have a tension bar working the mag release. 40 & 45 have a spring.

7. onelife

onelife Member

Oh ok didn't know they were different thanks for the new knowledge.

8. GKC

GKC Lifetime Supporter

Not to hijack the thread, but since your problem is resolved, may I ask what new grips did you get?

9. Welcome aboard, but we need pics or it didn't happen. :D

10. GKC

GKC Lifetime Supporter

Thanks....but, huh? Pics of what?

11. LostFedExMan

LostFedExMan Member

lol Well I wen't with the white grips off ebay. Not sure what I think about them yet, I think I like them tho. I'm currently in process of polishing the slide, I really like that look. So once that's done I'll decide weather the white grips go well with the polished slide. Here's what I've got so far, will keep updating as I progress. I have Airplane paint remover on it right now, the industrial strength stuff, and it's bubbling like no other. I think this is going to be a relatively easy strip.

[​IMG]

Edit: To show how well this air craft stripper works. Just put it on and let it do all the work. I just have to make it shiny
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  12. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) is wicked stuff.