JHP Barrel wall thickness looks uneven

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by 841gun, May 11, 2014.

1. 841gun

841gun Member

Hey all
    Just purchased a JHP and it arrived at my Ffl. Went to go check it out and he pointed out that the crown of barrel showed that one side was thicker than the other.

More specifically when looking at barrel the upper right side is thicker that the lower right.

Anyone have the same thing?

Thanks

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Did you buy it from an online vendor?
    I would recommend you return it as this is obviously something that slipped by HP's quality control.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

sending it back to Hi Point will get it a full refurbish, and replacement if need be of the barrel. call them, explain the situation, and get it sent out. yeah, it'll cost about 25bucks to ship it, but, they will replace any worn parts, fix any issues and return you a basically brand spanking new carbine (and they often even throw in a free magazine for your troubles).

4. How much difference is there? Mass produced bbls often have the bore not quite centered in the OD, Ruger 10/22 factory bbls are famous for this. Makes it difficult to thread for a suppressor unless you know what you are doing and have a lathe. Target type bbls ($$$) are often bored and rifled as a full diameter blank, then run between centers on a lathe for final profiling to ensure bore concentricity. Unless the thinner area is really thin (KaBoom), the worst case scenario is the point of impact shifts when the bbl heats up. If the crown is off center as well, poor accuracy in general could also result. In a pistol, these affects would be minor compared to a rifle bbl due to the length/stiffness differences.

If the thin areas look strong enough to handle the pressure, I would test fire it and see what happens. If the bullets hit where you aim at, all is good. If not, time for a trip back to the factory.

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

some pictures would certainly help us to help you determine if its safe to use or not.

6. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

^^^^^ This is right on the money. I couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

7. SWAGA

However, it shouldn't be that way.
    My barrel is concentric and so should yours.
    We're not talking about a 1942 Mosin here built on war quality tooling.
    Exchange it with the retailer and only if they won't handle it send it back to HP.

8. 841gun

841gun Member

I'll try and get a good picture of barrel

9. Geezer

Geezer Junior Member Member

Try to use this as a bargaining tool and get it for a discounted price. Chances are the gun will perform normally. If not, what's the worst thing that could happen? It goes back and returns better than new.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Why do you think that?

If the chamber and bore line up with the sights and the whole things shoots straight, then it makes no difference how much metal is where, as long as it's safe.

Shoot it, it it works, don't worry about it.

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

yes and no. unless you have a little experience, its much harder to safely say ''there is enough material to be safe'' and even then its an educated guess at best. if he isnt fully familiar with it, or have seen and handled a few guns to know what dangerous might look like, he is probably much better off NOT just shooting it and seeing, but rather waiting, posting a pic and letting someone more experienced help him make that decision.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There is that.
    But I'm betting a bazillion bucks it's not too thin, it's just off center, and it will be fine.

Some pics would be nice so we could help out, though.:)

13. talon

talon the banned wagon

im gonna totally agree with you that its more than likely just fine, and barely a difference, but, i'd hate for it to really be off and tell him, ''oh its fine'' and him have a mishap because it really was off enough to be dangerous.

14. SWAGA

Ok, gloves come off this time.
    I know we're all about buying 'Murican but since when do we have to tolerate that kind of sh*tty quality control?!
    I don't care if it's safe, it's NOT SUPPOSED to be that way!

15. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Mine is of center a few thousandths, enough to see it. Gun shoots great. It's also been pointed out before the rifling trends to make a bore look farther off center than it is.

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

Sorry, but you are wrong. Put your gloves back on.

You don't seem to understand, most barrels in most guns made anywhere in the world are off center a touch. It's actually very rare to have a bore be actually straight, and for the bore to be centered in the blank. High dollar bores get turned after boring, using the bore as a center, so they look better.

Pistol barrels would be less commonly really bad, because they work differently than rifles, but they are still not often perfectly straight or centered.

Google it, you will see.

17. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

^^^Ya what he said. Silly Swaga.

18. 841gun

841gun Member

picture of barrel

Here u go guys I cant really even tell

Attached Files:

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep. Not even an issue.:)

20. I would be much more scared to shoot a thin barrel with 7.62x54R than the 9mm.

War time snore time. It's a $150 handgun