JHP question

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by ColopatironXV, Mar 22, 2008.

1. I know that there is alot of science that goes into ammunitions, and i have been reading alot about different kinds.
    I just picked up a box of hornody TAP for my 9mm i was just wondering what you guys prefer for self defence?

2. Personally, as long as it feeds reliably without jamming and goes bang everytime it's good enough for me. Now, once you get into the penetration issues that some HP ammo has over other ammo, then you're getting more into the scientific aspect of the ammo. Here is the link to the sticky post about ballistic and penetration performance for pistol caliber ammo.

http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=486

3. and thats because of the hallow point? slows it down right?

4. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

The hollow point expands (Like a mushroom), increasing the surface area, creating more drag (resistance), and in-turn, tearing more stuff up as it goes into the target. This is what JHP ammo is supposed to do. JHP ammo is intended for self defense, and hopefully does not have the powed to over penetrate and kill/hurt anyone around/behind the target.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

5. so then with jhp penetration is not a big concern??

6. Ari

Ari Guest

You still need a round that will penetrate 12 to 16 inches.

But if you are taking about over penetration they can still over penetrate. People but a bunch of worry into over penetration. Just make sure your field of fire is clear when you pull the trigger. The chances are pretty good you will miss a few shots (in the heat of battle ) a missed shot is way worse then any over penetrated shot.

7. hmmm...ok so do most jhps penetrate 12+ i know that its kind of the standard but like primal said, "now, once you get into the penetration issues that some 'J'HP ammo has over other ammo"

8. Ari

Ari Guest

Depends on a bunch of things. But if you pick a round from the list in the sticky you should do just fine.

9. What you are looking for is a JHP that will penetrate reliably at least 12 inches into a target so that you can be sure it will reach vital blood carrying organs in the chest cavity. As Ari said, if you choose a JHP from the list in the sticky, you'll do fine. Once you've decided what you are going to carry, make sure it feeds reliably in your weapon and you're good to go.

10. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Just to be fair, or unfair, whatever. TAP ammunition stands for Tactical Anti-Personnel... I don't see how you can go wrong. :lol: I like Speer Gold Dot, Gold Guardians, and Winchester Supreme SXT's... but i've been known to carry some Federal "Self Defense" in .45 acp. They drop plates all day long in the .45... i have to double tap with the .380 to drop them. ;)