JHP slide

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by 0311, Oct 11, 2015.

1. 0311

0311 Member

Awhile ago, I stripped the slide on my JHP. Masked off part of it & painted the slide & the grips.

Got the gun out of the safe today & noticed a fingerprint on the polished part. Was like it was tarnished from my skin. It came off with a little oil & an abrasive pad. (Ultra fine)

I made this gun to look like the 380 with the polished slide.

My question is, does MOM put some sort of clear finish on the 380"s slide?

Attached Files:

• OD2.jpg
      OD2.jpg
      File size:
      48.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Good question, have wondered the same, but I don't know. The slide on the .380 is made of the same material, so I would assume they "treat" is somehow.

3. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

0311, I tried finding something online about slide tarnish of the CF380, but found hardly anything that stated if Hi Point puts some kind of clear-coat on that. :confused:

4. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

How did you strip the finish?

Do you know what kind of finish the original JHP has on it by chance?

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Pretty sure it's a baked on paint, not powder coat.

6. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

I used clear nail polish. You might want to get some Mothers Mag and Aluminum first in order to put on a mirror finish. Or you could skip the nail polish and just polish it occasionally with Mothers.

7. 0311

0311 Member

Could be powder coat.Maybe a baked on paint, but I don't know about the texture.

I did it all by hand sanding. Start out with a coarse paper & keep moving up in grit till it's a shiny as you want. I could probably go another couple grits to make it perfect.......but after all, it is a HIPOINT.

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Paint it if you don't like it you can repaint it

Attached Files: