Jimenez T380

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by HiPointArmorer, Feb 28, 2015.

1. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    I bought one today, cant figure out how to field strip. It doesnt have a take-down button like the Ja 9/380. The trigger is hurting my finger pretty bad im going to have sand down a few things but i cant figure out how to dissemble it. I like it so far its more compact than i was origionally expecting. Grips feel pretty good, its a 380 so im not expecting very much recoil.

2. Check Youtube, it may break down the same way the little JA380 does.

From what I gather it is the same gun as the Jennings T380, and it would be the same procedure as the JA380.

1) Remove magazine, check to make sure chamber is empty.

2) Take safety off, dry fire pistol.

3) Pull back slide slightly, push FP spring retainer forward at the same time. Lift up, and make sure to not let the FP spring fly.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015

3. Walking Wolf is correct - that's how to take the gun down.

IIRC the Jennings/Jimenez T380 is loosely based on the Bryco M48 -with subtle improvements. Jimenez started making the T380, then they stopped, and then they resumed production. (and apparently now have they have once again stopped since I can't find the T380 manual on the Jimenez website.)

4. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Thanks, I finally got the slide off after a few tries. The trigger assembly is very similar is not excactly like the hi point design. Strangly enough i didnt see any burs, but the trigger assembly was in desperate need of oil. I also shaved down the trigger with my filet knife to smooth out the edges.
    Im glad I had my glasses on when I finally got the slide off cause the spring flew out and went straight for the eye. Somthing to look out for in the future but its ready for range testing. Im using monarch brass.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The advice to wear safety glasses for field stripping and cleaning is becoming more common. My Remington 1911r1 owner's manual specifically says to wear safety glasses during take-down.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Looks like this, my only complaint is the trigger is really stiff but hopefully after a few boxes it will clear up.

[​IMG]

7. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Did a trigger job, basically used a dremel to file down the sear, firing pin, and trigger linkage. Sanded down the trigger itself. It ate a box in about five minutes without a hiccup. Pretty happy with the accuracy.

8. Kiln

Kiln Member

I'd be sure it is definitely pointed in a safe direction when chambering. Modifying the sear/firing pin on older style striker fired guns has been known to produce slam fires.

I won't lie to you, I've done it, but a little can be a lot on sensitive parts like the sear.

9. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

A baseball was coming right at me, then it hit me...

eldar

10. This is excellent advice, been there, done the sear clean up, and my "improved" gun slam fired. Scared the begeebies outta me.

11. IMO the trigger is fine on our JA380 as is, it was never intended to be a target gun.

12. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I would never use a Dremel on gun parts, especially trigger linkages and the like, unless I first knew all about the weapon system and had done it a few times. I have prolly done more precision die grinding than most people ever will in a lifetime. Guns are worse than automotive parts in most cases. You may need to replace certain parts... hopefully not. :(

13. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Not sure what a slam fire is, but I haven't experienced it. I didn't file anything to much, just buffed it out a little. Im amazed at what a little did to drastically change the trigger pull. Im guessing Jimenez coats everything to keep it from rusting, but everything is smooth now. And Walkingwolf, the trigger on yours might be ok, but mine wasn't so I fixed it.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

A slam fire is when the firearm fires a round when the slide or bolt closes, unaccompanied by a pull of the trigger. This is often accompanied by a "mag dump," wherein the firearm cycles all of the rounds in the magazine in "full auto" fashion because whatever ailment caused the first slam fire is still affecting the firearm.

The most common cause of a slam fire is probably a firing pin stuck forward (which is how "Open Bolt Full Auto" guns are designed) but there can be other causes.

In this case there are two possibilities. First, a sear interface which is not sufficiently secure can slip off when the slide slams forward, releasing the striker firing pin into the primer. This may or may not be followed by a burst fire or mag dump depending one whether or not the sear interface eventually has enough friction to "hold" during the slide forward phase.

A second cause would be for the modified sear interface to fail to engage at all because of insufficient ability for the sear shelves to "grab" and "hold" on to each other. This is effectively the same state as a "stuck firing pin."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Its a spring loaded firing pin not free floating like a full-auto. Anyways you guys need to try out out this gun if you haven't already, I found it 100% reliable. Ive been carrying it everywhere too its not that heavy or bulky compared to a similar gun.

16. Kiln

Kiln Member

The firing pin itself engaging against the sear is really what we're talking about. Basically if the sear and firing pin don't catch eachother, the sear/firing pin can slip free after the slide closes and cause it to fire.

On this design, sear/firing pin engagement is absolutely essential because there isn't a passive safety there (like the trigger safety on a Springfield XD or Ruger SR series pistol) to prevent this from happening like on many modern striker fired guns.

As a side note, I'd like to try the T380. I shot the JA9 a little and my experience was good but pretty limited.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  17. macrol444

macrol444 Member

No, they didn't stop making them. Talked with them on the phone. They are working on a new manual, website, etc. I now have two T-380's. They are actually one of their best sellers now. No issues with mine at all. They would be foolish to stop production. In my opinion by far their best product right now.

Macrol

18. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Years ago, I had heard of some folk who would place a piece of cellophane tape across the sear of their rifle and have full auto fire occur when the trigger was squeezed.

I am not advocating that any one do this as it may be against the law.

But, wouldn't that be an example of 'slam fire'...?

eldar

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Intentional but, yeah, pretty much.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

20. Ah, maybe that explains it. A number of folks on the BJJA forum noticed that the T380 was on the Jimenez website, and then suddenly it wasn't, and a while later it reappeared. (this was a few years back.) I'll bet it was simply the Jimenez website itself.