Jimmy the lock?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Nov 14, 2014.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My bedside safe, a Gunvault two space model with the four finger groove buttons, has decided to become uncooperative.

It no longer responds to the combination. Just beeps at me and sits there. When I enter the proper combination it does nothing. A wrong combination still gives me a raspberries beep code in return. Because it is battery operated, it is equiped with a barrel lock for when the batteries fail. The key now won't open the barrel lock. It spins freely and completely in either direction, an infinite number of times.

The batteries are still good. It still beeps at me. It just won't open any longer and the lock won't open it either.

I've thought about taking it to a local locksmith but the fool thing has 3 loaded guns in it. (it's a bedside safe, after all)

My best guess is that the locking mechanism has somehow "jammed." But darned if I know what do do about it.

So, what do you reprobates think? I know some of you have experience jimmying lock mechanisms of this nature. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

My experience tends to be of a rather non-subtle effort.... Sorry.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So far I've (barely) resisted the urge to take a pry-bar to it. Those dratted things aren't free and, if possible, I'd like to be able to repair it and return it to service.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    3 loaded guns? Well that rules out the third floor window / pavement solution. Is there a way to reset the combo to factory default? My only other solution requires firing up the ole' Black n Decker. But that doesn't fall into your salvage it plans.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It is a bedside gunsafe. :)

Doesn't mention it in the manual. At least not without the door being open so you can access the "reset" buttons.

Sounds like my prybar solution.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Oh I know. Are they Hi-Points? the 3rd floor window solution would finally test the usefulness of the counterweight. If 1911s I fully understand your hesitation. Don't want to hurt the babies. Glocks? I'd go with the rooftop just out of principal.

7. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I guess that means the C4 is out, huh? :p

8. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Heck, if they're all Hi-Points, just shake the box, they'll open it.

9. Did you register the warranty when you bought it? Have you contacted the company?

10. I think I'd just open it with a 4in grinding/cutting wheel.

11. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

cut the top of the cylinder lock off and open it with a screwdriver.
    Have you tried the default factory code to see if it reset itself from a firearm perhaps nudging the reset button when you had it open last time?

It's a two gun safe and you say it has 3 guns in it.... quite possible you hit the reset with one of the firearms when you had it open and placed them inside. Just a thought.

12. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Or you can just drill out the key lock and then replace it. A lock smith will have it open in a couple minutes while you watch and if you ask they will not look inside.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Kel Tec PF9 with custom nickel-boron slide, Kel Tec P32 (hard to find first gen w/ ivory grip), and my customized CZ52.

Funny thing, I was CCing my Taurus TCP in my pocket when it failed to open so I didn't even have to go to the full sized safe to get a replacement CC gun. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I don't remember if I registered the product or not but it's 8 years old, roughly, now.

Do they have a lifetime warranty? I'll have to check.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'll put one of those on my christmas list. In the mean time, I'll hunt up my 3/4" cutoff wheel for my dremmel. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yeah. It registers the original default as a failed attempt.

The reset button is protected by a plate.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I don't care if he looks inside. I am just concerned that he wouldn't do it because it has loaded firearms in it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

From one of their manuals:

GunVault Limited Warranty: "The Company warrants to the purchaser that the GunVaut safe will be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period of one (1) years from the date of purchase."

GunVault Technical Support: 800-222-1055

"..., call GunValt Technical Support, most problems can be solved over the telephone, making return unnecessary."

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'll try calling them, probably tomorrow.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

20. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I would still call a lock smith and get a quote, the ones around here don't care about loaded guns as they are not using a torch to open just picks or drills.