Job Interview

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rachgier, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Well, I got tired of sitting around on my butt and whining about how I would prefer to be out working rather than collecting a disability check. I got a tip that Achieve NY was hiring and filed an online application Friday morning. Saturday afternoon I got an e-mail from HR that my application had been selected for further review and forwarded to the Hiring Manager and that only qualified applicants would be contacted for an interview. Well this afternoon, on the way home from saying our good byes to my fiancé's grandmother, I got a phone call from the HR department asking if I would be willing to accept a 2nd Shift position as a Residence Manager at one of their assisted living facilities. My interview is at 14:30 tomorrow afternoon and I'm excited as hell, but I haven't had a sit down interview in YEARS so I'm a bit nervous.

So as long as I don't blow it by barfing on the desk or something, I should be working with a house full of developmentally disabled young adults teaching them how to take care of their finances, domestic chores, cooking, and grocery shopping.

If all goes well, our Troop Shoot is tomorrow night and I get to celebrate by taking my scouts to the range.

2. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Good for you! Will be thinking good thoughts tomorrow afternoon, wishing you the best.

3. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Good luck with the interview rach! I think you will do fine. I work with the special needs population. It can be rewarding and very challenging. I spent 2 hrs this afternoon with a client that has ALS. Heart breaking. If any of you guys get a chance to take the ice bucket challenge please do. They have raised more money and awareness for ALS this year than ever before. It is a horrible disease. Sorry rach, I got a little side tracked. Good luck again.

4. Rachgier

Hey, no problem. My FD was nominated to do it and when we do, I'll see if I can upload the video here.

5. Back2School

Back2School Member

Good luck!

Try not to be too nervous, it can get in the way. Be yourself. No sense in getting a job if you have to end up being who you are not just to keep it.

6. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

After being on this forum for so long you have interacting with the developmentally disabled down pat.:rolleyes::D;)

7. Prayers and good thoughts your way!

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

1. Don't barf on his desk
    2. Don't clonk him around the head
    3. Don't blow anything up

Good luck!!!

9. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Good luck Rach!!!....... Just be your semi-well behaved self, and all wil go smooth..... Leave the coffee makes me poop coffee cup at home.

10. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

congrats on the interview, Rach! :thumbsup:

11. Rerun

Rerun Member

Don't forget to tell them You're running for the Presidency!

eldar

12. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I forgot to wish you well, so do well and don't fart in the middle of the interview.

13. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Let the Lord's will be done?
    Let us Pray!?

14. Rachgier

Good luck with that. Save your prayers for the faithful where they'll do some good.

15. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    So let me give you some useful advice. When he inquires about your previous employment, do not give him an example of how to determine the point of origin.

16. Rachgier

Actually, I think my background in fire and ems got me the interview.

17. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Now there's some good advice.

You never know, though. One day a few years ago I got a surprise visit from a hospital exec who wanted to sound me out about being the supervising psychologist on a rehabilitation unit. He saw my "Life's a *itch. Then you die." coffee cup. He said later he decided to ask me to take on the job for certain the moment he saw it. Said he figured he would not ever have to worry about psychobabble from me.

18. Good luck brother, we're all pulling for you!

19. Rachgier

I'm so friggin nervous right now. T-minus 60 minutes...

20. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Stop by the local gas station and eat the biggest microwave burrito they have...... You won't be nervous about the questions in the interview.