Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello HP folks, longtime HP-Curious, finally dropped $77 for a Stallard JS-9 that needs a little work. I've just read through about 1/3 of the "101" thread, but the punctuation issues were making me crazy so I bailed.

From what I can tell, there were two main designs of the JS-9, one is square in every regard, looks like legos, that's the one I got. The other has a rounded palm swell and a shelf both at the bottom of the trigger guard and at the front of the lower grip.

I need a mag catch and some mags for mine, it comes with neither, how to I ensure that I get the right parts? Are they interchangeable between all JS-9 marked pistols, or do I need to find them from the lego gun specifically?

When speaking about this Stallard, how to differentiate between the two variants. Mark 1/Mark 2? Round/Square?

Any info would be appreciated, thank you.

·
Resident PITA
16,197 Posts
Hello HP folks, longtime HP-Curious, finally dropped $77 for a Stallard JS-9 that needs a little work. I've just read through about 1/3 of the "101" thread, but the punctuation issues were making me crazy so I bailed.

From what I can tell, there were two main designs of the JS-9, one is square in every regard, looks like legos, that's the one I got. The other has a rounded palm swell and a shelf both at the bottom of the trigger guard and at the front of the lower grip.

I need a mag catch and some mags for mine, it comes with neither, how to I ensure that I get the right parts? Are they interchangeable between all JS-9 marked pistols, or do I need to find them from the lego gun specifically?

When speaking about this Stallard, how to differentiate between the two variants. Mark 1/Mark 2? Round/Square?

Any info would be appreciated, thank you.
All JS mags are the same. Call HiPoint and ask if they have any mag catches lying around. If they do they'll send you a free one. I refer to them as Gen1 (lego) & Gen 2. Basically same gun internally with different slide (not interchangeable) & grips. If you find a Maverick, it's just an early Gen1 with a different rollmark.

Reactions: adam01364

·
Super Moderator
9,612 Posts
From what I can tell, there were two main designs of the JS-9, one is square in every regard, looks like legos, that's the one I got. The other has a rounded palm swell and a shelf both at the bottom of the trigger guard and at the front of the lower grip. When speaking about this Stallard, how to differentiate between the two variants. Mark 1/Mark 2? Round/Square?
Go to this post Maverick JS 9mm and skim down to Post #35 and #36. There is a pic of the differences in mag catches; the good news is early JS-9 (your lego) and later JS-9 mag catch should interchange.

If you are unable to find Stallard mags (they're out there, but some people are charging princely sums for them) the 995 carbine mag can be modded to work. I did a write up on it here: 995 mag in a Stallard!

Enjoy your JS-9!

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you both, good info. Poking around on the internet shows an 8 round mag and 9 round, both will work? I'd prefer the 9 of course until I figure out your mod Adam. I'll reach out to HP and ask about a mag catch and see if they'll send me a YC9 while I'm at it.

Is the lego version the first (other than the Maverick that made Mossberg so mad of course)? Edit: Post 35, got the info.

·
Resident PITA
16,197 Posts
Poking around on the internet shows an 8 round mag and 9 round, both will work?
They only made an 8 round mag. Although I have a couple that the springs are weak enough to cram a 9th into them but the gun won't reliably feed that extra round as it's too tight to strip. Also got a few 31 round AR & AK mags too.

·
Super Moderator
9,612 Posts
3D printed ones online for $40?
Rectangle Font Gun accessory Office equipment Cylinder

I'd be looking for other options too!

I'd probably bubba up something similar to a Raven heel catch and use the same spring until I came across something at a more reasonable price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Adam, I might. I'll have to see if the CAD/3D print guy at work is up for a challenge, or else learn how to CAD things myself. It seems like a simple enough part, but famous last words and all.

Edit: I'm going to try and make it with TinkerCAD, if you could send rough measurements to start that'd be great

Edit edit: I'm pretty sure I can make this work, I made this based on the photo above.

Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Varnish

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm...design is a little harder than I thought. Here's v2, v3 is in progress. JS-9 comes on Thursday, hopefully the roll pin is in there. Adam, is that a spare or are you removing it from the pistol to measure it?
Azure Font Rectangle Aqua Material property

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok, I may need another measurement or two, didn't want to ask though if you were driving a pin out of a fragile part. Here's v3, it's looking better

Edit: I got to thinking, if you could send over a high res picture of it from straight above, I can probably size and print that so it's exactly 35.1mm tall and then work on comparing my model to it until I think it'll fit. The part is symmetrical when viewed from the side, yeah? Well, I guess it'd be view from the front or back when installed in the pistol.

Table Wood Rectangle Varnish Wood stain

·
Resident PITA
16,197 Posts
"~DO NOT POST OUTSIDE LINKS TO EBAY ADS~ "

But what if the conversation is about that particular ad? We've done that before. Pointing out some bogus crap, gag ads, etc. And is it just ebay prejudices or does it extend to Gun Broker and other auction sites?

Not being confrontational, just curious as to the what & why.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts