Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
24,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Judge rules Colorado cities unable to enact gun restrictions

DENVER (AP) — Boulder has been blocked from enforcing its 2-year-old ban on assault weapons and large-capacity magazines in the city — potentially providing the state Supreme Court an opportunity to review whether the state’s cities can create their own gun ownership restrictions, a judge said.

Boulder County District Court Judge Andrew Hartman ruled last week on Friday that the city cannot enforce its ban because under state law, local governments cannot prohibit the possession or sale of firearms, The Denver Post reported Thursday.

“These provisions are invalid, and enforcement of them is enjoined,” Hartman said. “The Court has determined that only Colorado state (or federal) law can prohibit the possession, sale and transfer of assault weapons and large-capacity magazines.”

Full article at the link provided.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,944 Posts
Judge rules Colorado cities unable to enact gun restrictions

DENVER (AP) — Boulder has been blocked from enforcing its 2-year-old ban on assault weapons and large-capacity magazines in the city — potentially providing the state Supreme Court an opportunity to review whether the state’s cities can create their own gun ownership restrictions, a judge said.

Boulder County District Court Judge Andrew Hartman ruled last week on Friday that the city cannot enforce its ban because under state law, local governments cannot prohibit the possession or sale of firearms, The Denver Post reported Thursday.

“These provisions are invalid, and enforcement of them is enjoined,” Hartman said. “The Court has determined that only Colorado state (or federal) law can prohibit the possession, sale and transfer of assault weapons and large-capacity magazines.”

Full article at the link provided.
That's a win. Every little win we get sets precedent. President the supreme court must consider if it ever gets there. I believe FPC had a big win in Cali too on Assault weapon registration and is going after their AWB there. We'll see where that goes. It is nice to see gun groups doing stuff, while the NRA sends me their wine list...

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Bit of encouragement amidst the doom and gloom. This is good. Seems as though some of the court system still understands the Constitution

·
Administrator
24,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bit of encouragement amidst the doom and gloom. This is good. Seems as though some of the court system still understands the Constitution
A first step in the right direction, as it were. Still needs to go appellate and then COSC if Boulder challenges.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country.” -- Proverbs 25:25

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
That's a win. Every little win we get sets precedent. President the supreme court must consider if it ever gets there. I believe FPC had a big win in Cali too on Assault weapon registration and is going after their AWB there. We'll see where that goes. It is nice to see gun groups doing stuff, while the NRA sends me their wine list...
I think the NRA excommunicated me. I bought a life membership from them in 2014, but I haven't gotten shit from them in a couple years. I guess one of their call center people really did run it up the chain when I told them that I wasn't giving them another dine until Lil' Wayne got shown the door.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I think the NRA excommunicated me. I bought a life membership from them in 2014, but I haven't gotten shit from them in a couple years. I guess one of their call center people really did run it up the chain when I told them that I wasn't giving them another dine until Lil' Wayne got shown the door.
Ahhh...I would not be happy about that.

·
Administrator
24,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kind of ironic that a mass shooting would happen just after this gets over turned
Not just any mass shooting but with the specific weapon that was banned in the very same jurisdiction and resulting in the death of a cop. It's exactly what a Fudd would need to get off the fence and fuck over his fellow gun owners by accepting "common sense" gun laws.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but come on...

·
Registered
643 Posts
That certainly is some good news. Also, it sets a precedent for further consideration. And its just too bad that there wasn't a good guy with a gun in the King Soopers.

Reactions: Think1st

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Not irony.
It's by design.

eldar
Not just any mass shooting but with the specific weapon that was banned in the very same jurisdiction and resulting in the death of a cop. It's exactly what a Fudd would need to get off the fence and fuck over his fellow gun owners by accepting "common sense" gun laws.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but come on...
Thank you both. Wife and I were just talking about this. Seems everytime we hear about "common sense" gun laws there's a new shooting to prove we need them. Like Rach, never considered myself a conspiracy nut, but it does seem a little....convenient

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
Thank you both. Wife and I were just talking about this. Seems everything we hear about "common sense" gun laws there's a new shooting to prove we need them. Like Rach, never considered myself a conspiracy nut, but it does seem a little....convenient
More and more, I keep seeing glimmers of the movie "Shooter," with Mark Wahlberg, in what gets reported on the news.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Seems everything we hear about "common sense" gun laws there's a new shooting to prove we need them.
When I saw that on the news my heart dropped.
Just when you're hoping you can beat back the dems gun control B.S. some crap like this happens.
I can hear it now, "Yeah I'm opposed to gun control BUT something has to be done!"
It's a tragedy that those people lost their in this senseless act by some deranged SOB.
News said the shooter Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa, a Syrian is a devout Islamist and was upset he didn't have a girlfriend.
But the libs key words on this heinous act are, Assault weapon....assault weapon............."

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Some additional information:
He was previously convicted of misdemeanor assault and sentenced to two months of probation and 48 hours of community service.
He was on the FBI "Watch List".
How the hell was he able to buy a firearm.
At this point it looks like the FBI and background check missed one nutcase.
And before they go blaming conservatives - he was a Trump hater.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Some additional information:
He was previously convicted of misdemeanor assault and sentenced to two months of probation and 48 hours of community service.
He was on the FBI "Watch List".
How the hell was he able to buy a firearm.
At this point it looks like the FBI and background check missed one nutcase.
And before they go blaming conservatives - he was a Trump hater.
Do we know that he bought the gun legally? IF I were a conspiracy guy - IF, I said - I'd be really interested to know how he slipped through the cracks. If he passed a BGC there's a major problem somewhere. Me thinks me smells a rat - maybe a whole herd of rats

Reactions: Keystone and Visper

·
Administrator
24,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do we know that he bought the gun legally? IF I were a conspiracy guy - IF, I said - I'd be really interested to know how he slipped through the cracks. If he passed a BGC there's a major problem somewhere. Me thinks me smells a rat - maybe a whole herd of rats
According to the reports the AR pistol was purchased a week prior, and verified by his family, but they're not saying where he bought it in Denver. He's actually from Arvada, not Boulder.

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
From the New York Post:
"Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa purchased a Ruger AR-556 pistol on March 16 — six days before going on a deadly rampage at the King Soopers in Boulder"

From the Washington Examiner:
"Another teammate, Angel Hernandez, said a wrestler teased him about that wrestling match defeat in the parking lot and that Ahmad al Aliwi Alissa “started punching him.”

In another incident, in 2017 when he was 18, Ahmad al Aliwi Alissa attacked a high school classmate, according to an affidavit. He punched the fellow student in the head and continued to do so even after the student fell to the ground. He later told officers that the classmate “made fun of him and called him racial names weeks earlier.”

A year later, he was subsequently convicted of misdemeanor assault and sentenced to two months of probation and 48 hours of community service."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts