Just because I am Evil (not that Evil)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by planosteve, Mar 26, 2015.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Working a split shift today so I started inventorying ammo at home between shifts. Got done with the 45, 357 SIG, 12 ga, and started on the 22. As Al has more 22 guns than I do I wanted to show him what you shoot out of them. ;) This is just 2 of my ammo cans, there are more. This is what 6772 rounds of 22 look like. My wife thinks I have too much ammo. I am going to runaway to work now and lock all the doors.

Attached Files:

2. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Brother... if you can count it you don't have enough. ;)

3. Kiln

Kiln Member

I'd dump them all out and dive into them like an ammo hoarding Scrooge Mcduck.

I wouldn't be too proud of the Winchester stuff there. That ammo is so junky I gave two boxes away DURING the ammo panic because they hang up in practically every gun I own and have lots of dead primers.

4. planosteve

I still have 5 more cans and a few thousand on the shelf.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Oh, Good, cuz I looked at that pic and thought :noob: :lame:

:rofl:

|\/|oles tend to hoard lots of ammo, too... :D
    |V|ost of my 22 has a big tapered brass case on it, with a primer, too ;)
    I admire ammo hoards, Steve! You are not Evil at all, and she
    looks a lot better than you, for sure! ;) (Don't tell m00nzy!)

6. planosteve

I have a bunch that is why I am doing an inventory. I am short on a few calibers.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Very nice!

Someday, I hope to be able to buy .22 ammo at Walmart again...:(

8. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I know I am low on some stuff so I picked up 20 pounds of lead in the form of bullets today. 800 55 grain .224 for the AR 100 55 grain SP for the bolt gun and AR for hunting, and 200 90 grain hollow points for the 380 that doesn't get fired a lot(my carry pistol).

9mm I have a full ammo can, not sure how much is in it... have a couple thousand rounds for the Mosin... 250++ rounds of 00 buck for the 12 gauge... I would have to look through all the ammo cans!

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What are you short of?

10. planosteve

I am only short in my hypothetical minimums I want for each firearm. For center fire and shotguns that is 1000 rounds for each firearm. For 22 it is 4000 rounds. The exception is the 06. I want to have about 400 rds for it now that I have settled on the load I want. 06 is currently the only one I am short of. I am not hurting as I by ammo every week one or two boxes at a time.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I've been doing the same with .17 HMR and .22 mag.:)

It's crazy, it's more than 9 mm.:(

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I already know ;-)

13. planosteve

I have been paying 13.99 + tax for 22 mag. I remember when it was 7.99 a box not too long ago. I am glad it is a bolt action so I shoot slow.

14. At those numbers, I consider myself to be out of ammo. but, we all have to start somewhere.:p

Now, all you youngins and Noobs listen up closely. This is from the Fox Family Book of Knowledge. When you turn 18 (21 dor pistol calibers. Have to keep it legal after all,. ;)) start buying a box or two of a caliber you have with each paycheck. Just a couple of boxes a week will add up to 100 boxes at the end of the year, and don't forget to mark it with a date of purchase so you know to use up the oldest stuff first. My ammo storage is kept in sealed ammo cans, with silica packs, inside of a bank of 6 old school lockers I picked up (bought a dozen and modified them to work as gun cabiunets and ammo lockers with shelving) for $3 each at auction.

I turn 40 this year, and I started at 16 (my parents picked it up when I gave them the money each week. One week some .22 LR, the next some #4 and #6 in 12 ga, ect. and I kept it going as I could afford to ever since. The only time I have ever had to buy upwards of 100 rounds is when i pick up a firearm in a caliber I don't have (Tall's JCP for instance, Never had a .40 'tol then). The 2008 and 2012 ammo hoarding never affected me, and I had enought to donate to some of the youth shooting organizations each summer during the freak outs.

The cost of ammo is driven by avalabiity, and each person who is buying it up in a panic is not helping the rest of us out. Doing this, as long as your bills are paid, will allow you to sit back and watch the fun, and keep you from having to live on Ramen Noodles just because some morons are willing to pay $100 for a brick of cheap .22 LR.

15. planosteve

KFox,

As I currently have 5 22 lr my minimum on hand is 20K rounds, I have more and I do donate to the scouts. I only buy the 22's when they are a good value. My stock is growing and I do shoot a lot so it is growing slowly.

I just got the 06 last year and have been hunting for a load that both the gun and liked. I am not going to buy more than 1 or 2 boxes of a new caliber until I find one that works. Now that I have I buy a box every week that the stores have it.

Right now my main issue is finding 357 SIG and 22 mag at a good price. I still have plenty but it has been hit or miss as far as finding it. That is one of the reasons I picked up the CZ75. My main goal is to have enough ammo on hand to where I can go shooting when I want, with what I want to shoot.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    The folks around here are rimfire crazy, so 22 Mag is harder to obtain than 22LR.
    I have a good stash of LR (less than Plano, but most of it is in Plano Boxes:D)
    22 Mag is my lightest caliber for stock in rimfire. :( :eek: Well stocked on the HummerZ :D

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    Quick Q for you, Steve...
    What fits well in 50 cal cans? I have mixed stocks of 22, like your pic and was wondering if it would be worth it to sort and stack in the 50 cal cans. Or change over to the NVG (night vision goggle monocular) cans, which are like a double stack 50 cal can. Double Tall :D It would take some time but not much I bet... :foilhat:

LOL :D

18. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    I used to keep 2000 rounds of 9mm in my "inventory" but now that I have three firearms that use that at a rate of 400-500 rounds a range trip, I'm always in the "red zone" (emergency replenish).

I've fired more than 8000 rounds of .22lr in the last coupe of years. Even with the shortage, I was always able to keep up and buy extra for friends. In the past year that hasn't worked. .22lr is harder to get now in this area than 2 years ago.

One of the major ammo manufacturers is located close by. They are still cranking out the .22 ammo but they are not running 24/7 on the other stuff anymore (per employees who work there). The company ownership was recently changed and employee morale is suffering.....

19. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

My 1903A4 loves this load:

Bullet: 168gr Hornady A-Max
    Powder: IMR 4064 xx.0 grains
    Case: Winchester at 2.484
    COL: 3.245

groups under .75" at 100' consistently.

20. planosteve

I don't reload so I had to find something that both the gun and I liked. I have settled on the PPU, Herters, and Monarch 150 gr SP. All are made by PPU and I can keep 3/4 inch groups with it at 100 yds. Best part is it is cheap and it will drop a hog so it should handle a deer well. I just need to see one that is on our property and not on the side of I-45.

When I was reloading 7.62x51 I used the the 168 match bullet and IMR 4064 very accurate.