Just bought a Savage Axis 223 at Academy for $279 + tax

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Browning 9 Guy, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

It's mainly for the kids (15 year old twins and older son age 21). I want to introduce them to center fire rifles. Black polymer stock, 4 rd box magazine and solid build quality. Loooong bolt travel. Surprisingly heavy for a polymer stock. Mag is plastic with a plastic release lever. Have 200 rds of Tulammo (half of it steel cased and half brass - Fiocci makes Tula's new brass ammo line.). We'll head to the range next weekend after new gun cleaning.

2. congrats have only been hearing good things about Savage
    on a side note i used some of the new tula brass i shot low every time changed up and used horady dead on.
    hope there .233 is better than there .40

3. zombiekiller

zombiekiller Member

Nice. Let us know how it shoots. I've never shot a Savage in center fire but I've had a Savage Mark 2 in .22lr for years and it's one of the most accurate rim fire rifles I've ever shot.

4. Browning 9 Guy

Will do. It's slightly similar to a 1903 - simple, heavy, bolt operated and mag fed. Nostalgic in a way. Just hope the kids like shooting it. Also hope my wife comes along. I've never gotten her interested in guns but this could be a start.

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Had a savage 110 before they got the accutrigger, was a good solid gun, with handloads I could cloverleaf three round groups at 100 yds, only downfall is they are a push feed, not control round feed, but besides that, they are a fantastic gun for the money.

6. JandN

JandN 01 FFL Member

Congrats. You will likely find the trigger heavy and gritty, at first. Usually 6-7 lbs. It is not adjustable. There are a couple solutions. Timney and Rifle Basix makes nice triggers for the Axis for under $100. Other solution is to dry fire a lot and wear the surfaces in. Other than that, you should find it to be an extremely accurate weapon. I have sold over a dozen Axis models over the past year. Our customers really like them.
    JEFF

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's why they make adjustable sights and scopes...no two loads will shot the same, unless they are the same weight, and same velocity.

My guess, the Tula is slower. The REAL question is, were the low shots still grouping?

8. gasman42

gasman42 Member

NC
    Is this how you intend on shooting it? No 223 anywhere here to be bought.

Attached Files:

9. Browning 9 Guy

Sorry to hear about the 223 shortage in your area. It's coming back here slowly. Still no 38, 357, and much of anything except a trickle of 223. Early Saturday you'll find a little 9mm, 40, 380 and 22 at Academy.

10. cblowe13

cblowe13 Member

That's a great gun! Could hit a coke cap at 100 yards but not to much with the ole iron sights haha got mine for 360 I believe with bushnell scope it's a great rifle and very accurate with little recoil as any .223

11. Browning 9 Guy

A scope + rail is my project prior to any range shooting. No iron sights on this piece.

12. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Bought mine as the combo with the Bushnell Banner scope. Very accurate, no ammo shortage for me, I can reload 1k rounds

13. Browning 9 Guy

MaryB I'm truly envious. I have no reloading tools at all. 1k rounds for me would be like I lost a tooth and the ammo fairy came.

14. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Are you gonna shoot 5.56 through it? :D

15. Browning 9 Guy

No, none at all. All the folks' knowledgable comments considered, it would put too much wear on the gun. I think shooting a round the gun's not chambered for would be the one thing that tips the scales.