Just bought ATI stock - any advice?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by gearboxaz, Jan 17, 2010.

1. gearboxaz

gearboxaz Member

Just bought the ATI stock and buttpad for my new (had it a month) 995 "classic" (I guess it's the classic). I'm a gun newbie in general - any advice or warnings about the ATI stock or the "classic" in general?

2. Nope the ATI is a really good stock. Have you put it on yet? If not there is a tutorial floating around here somewhere. Might even be a video on youtube, I've never looked so I don't know. :welcome:

3. If I'm not mistaken, the ATI stock voids the HP warranty. Some others may be able to verify this, though.

4. gearboxaz

gearboxaz Member

Haven't put the stock on yet, I just ordered it this evening. I'm looking forward to the improved styling though - the styling on the old stock is, um, not the best. And the oversized aftermarket buttpad I got from Cabelas doesn't help it any, unfortunately.

As for voiding the warranty, I'll have to take the chance. I've probably run another $200 of ammo through the rifle already trying to get the scope sighted in (no luck so far). It still shoots a group the size of a dinner plate at 50 yards, so either I'm an exceptionally crappy shot (possible) or the rifle's just not shooting well (also possible). I'm hoping the stiffer ATI stock will at least help.

5. Maybe your scope's moving around. I've got a cheap scope on my 995TS and it's solid as a rock at 50 yards.

6. gearboxaz

gearboxaz Member

It's possible that it is the scope. I got the rifle, the scope and a soft-side carrying bag all at the same gun show, but with the scope installed the bag can't be closed all the way. I was thinking of pulling the standard Weaver rail and replacing it with something that rides lower and maybe longer so I can reposition the scope.

I would try it with just the iron sights, but my eyes are REALLY bad and I wear very thick glasses. Makes it a little different to see ANYTHING precisely, let alone line up front sight/back sight/target.

Have you (or anyone here) had any luck with replacing the stock rail on the classic with a picattinny?

7. No, you are wrong. If you want to send it to the mothership, go ahead and put it back in the original stock though.

8. slider_buck

slider_buck Member

you will have to open up the front hole on it. it seems like they are all off and you will have a heck of a time getting the front bolt through the hole. also on mine i noticed that when i tightened down the barrel clamp that it actually pulled the barrel down quite a bit. i put a small washer under the clamp so it didn't pull the barrel down when i tightened it.

9. cfl18

cfl18 Member

If its a model without LRHO then it should fit rite in except for the front bolt hole may need alittle passing with a file to lineup, do alittle at a time so you don't make it to loose.If it's a newer one with LRHO the you need to grind alittle on the bolt side just above the mag release botton and just bellow the bolt handle in the closed postion so the LRHO parts fit.Installed mine the other day and I love it, went to the range Saturday and it shoots great 10 rounds 1 1/2 pattern at 50 yard. Had the scope sited in 12 rounds.

10. C5sam

C5sam Member

The only point not covered is aligning the magazine release on the ATI,also be careful when separating the original stock, there is a small spring on the mag release that will go flying, I lost mine a year and a half ago. HP sent me a complete mag release assembly, arrived in four days[no charge]When installing center the release or the mags will hang up, and use a little blue locktite to hold it in place.Do this while you have a clear view of the mag release before installing the receiver in the stock.The difference in accuracy is simply amazing. I went from 6" groups to 2" groups at 50 yds.

11. If you are having that much trouble sighting it in, spring for a laser boresighter. You can get em on ebay for about $35 and it is well worth the investment. Also, I use a BSA red dot from Walmart ($39) on my classic hi-point (with ATI stock) and it has held zero for 9 months of shooting. As for installing the ATI stock, here is the tutorial I used

http://nagr.multiply.com/journal/item/1240/Installing_a_ATI_stock_on_a_Hi-Point_995

I did have to do alittle filing in the front holes to make the receiver cover fit, but it took about five minutes and the gun feels much more sturdy no with the ATI stock.

12. gearboxaz

gearboxaz Member

Sweet! Thanks for the good suggestions and the links! Hope my stock gets here soon!

Tom