Just bought, M&P 9mm fullsize. Review.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Kuhockey27, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Kuhockey27

Kuhockey27 i love 9mm! Member

Hey all! I recently sold my glock 17 gen 4 and instantly i knew i had made a huge mistake. It was my favorite pistol ever, but i needed the money :(. So six months later my wonderful GF offered to buy me a new pistol for my bday! (I know i got a keeper!) so off i went to price out new glock 17s again! I was set on replacing it. I bought my previous 17gen4 for 550$ brand new in box with three mags and backstraps. Got a great deal. Now i cant find one in my area for under 600$. I was upset. So i went to my favorite LGS TANNERS in jamison pa and while browsing their glocks i saw it, it was like it was the only gun in the room! I may have even got a lil chub going i was soo excited. Then i saw the price tag, on sale for $409.99!!! What!? This is a 550$ gun! They were having a blowout sale on all M&P pistols and rifles! I have never shot an M&P pistol or even knew much about them, but once i held it, it was love. Best feeling gun in my hands ever! The ergos on this gun are incredible. So i got it! One sweet blue hard case, two 17round mags, three interchangable back straps, and one sexy gun! It was a steal!

Review:
    Only complaint is this, and u may have heard this about fullsize m&p guns, the triggers since its inception in 2005 have been trash. Gritty, break at 8-10lbs, overtravel and no audible reset. Now they have fixed some of this over the years. My gun has the fixed reset which is as audible as a glocks, but my pull is still super heavy and gritty.

Easy fix:
    I went in and polished the trigger bar where it rides the sear and polished some ither internals and all grittiness is gone and break is around 5.5lbs now!

I love this gun guys. I highley reccomend it. With five mins of polishing u can have a masterpiece. Or theey have a ton of drop in after market trigger internals to drop the break to 3lbs, crazy! Any questions about the gun lets hear em!

Attached Files:

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the club, I have the M&P 357. My trigger is not bad stock and the ergonomics are much better than a glock IMO. Mine is 2 years old now with over 1k rounds through it.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    My M&P9 is the best handgun I own, by far.
    The only Glock I have trigger time with is the G20c, a compensated 10mm.
    So no comparo on the calibers...
    Shoots nice, but the ergos and such are not as nice as the M&P.
    My M&P is smooth as melted butter, right outta the box :D

Cheers on the Awesome Purchase!

4. planosteve

Oh the G20, that is one Glock I would buy. Have you been able to compare it to the uncompensated one?

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I have the uncompensated one, I don't think it muzzle flips any worse than any of my non HP .40's, but then, I only have a Springfield XD-SC in .40, and I'm not after triple taps into 6 inch plates at 50 yards.;)
    The ergos are a bit odd, the mag release is too far forward for for my right hand thumb, even on the SF model I have to switch grip to reach it, my EAA Witness-P in 10mm has far better ergonomics.

Good to hear about the M&P, I've never held one.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  6. undeRGRound

INDY
    No, but as compared to my JCP it was surprisingly more tame! Not a lot, but it did feel very controllable. Just did a few quick SD range shots. Accuracy seemed on par with my JHP and JCP at that range, slightly better in fact. Prolly between the JHP and JCP for recoil. The Buffalo Bore 10mm rounds were not much more in recoil, according to my son. It is his G20 and ammo. ;)

Head and shoulders above the rest of my stuff, for ergonomics and accuracy, etc. (the M&P) I sold an LC9 with crimson trace because I could not hit with it, among other things. Picked up a sweet SCCY in it's place ;)

When I was moving weapons and ammo on the property, at night, I pocket carried the M&P :eek: (too big) but it was not uncomfortable. I felt like it would be a bad deal if someone came up in the dark and I was unarmed and moving all that stuff. One in the pipe, too! :D

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Never been able to figure that out, I can dump a mag out of my P3AT at 5 yards and put them all in a pie plate, that's SD accurate, to me.

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Much more than that and you go from SD to Murderer.

9. undeRGRound

INDY

I guess I was being a bit picky, I was shooting at least double that distance and "just missing" a soda-pop can. All were in a pie plate size. I told my son "it has a heavy trigger pull" and he said that was my problem, I'm pulling instead of squeezing... so I let him try it. He said "That's a heavy PULL!" It would have been an ok SD CCW, but it was not what I wanted. Now a P3AT like your performance, Ajole, I could accept that, knowing what I know now.

I also disliked the way the laser was activated. Pressure pad under middle finger, right under trigger. So it would always be on with a proper grip. No deactivation switch, either.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There it is, the reason so many different guns are made in so many configurations by so many companies.;)

If people could just do what you did, just get rid of the ones that don't fit their needs, and look for the gun they DO want, and quit trying to knock everything else, the fanbois and flame wars would be far more rare.:p

11. undeRGRound

INDY
    I'm not even trying to say anything BAD about Ruger, or even the LC9.
    I just thought with all the "drawbacks" inherent in a ccw pocket gun, I'd rather have the SCCY or P11. The LC9 is just like the PF9, or so I am told. I might have kept a PF9 and added to the collection, but I sold the LC9, bought the SCCY and had $130 left over ;) Bought the M&P9 after the LC9, and while it is not a "pocket gun" I kinda forgot about the LC9 until my "22lr gouger buddy" asked if I had anything for sale :D He made a great offer!

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Both my wife and I have the S&W M&P .40. Its a great gun and we both love them. In our humble opinion they are way better than a glock. We felt they were pretty accurate and didn't need a lot of siting.

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    We are kind of a Smith and Wesson Family :D
    Dad has a model 13 and something really close to a 686, but I forget the model # atm... Here is a representative pic, which is a 686. Dad's looks just like it but w/o a full underlug. Top one, long barrel, nickel w/wood grips :D

Attached Files:

14. planosteve

I love old Smith and Wesson revolvers, especially the blue steel model 19-2 with a 4 inch barrel. One of these days.

15. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

my S&W .40 is by far my favorite - can't run with it (pulls my shorts down). But I did hardly anything to get it to shoot in the 9 and 10 on my favorite perp target! I have smaller hands so I appreciate the interchangeable grips, and the easy to reach mag release. This gun is YUMMY in my book - liked it so much just purchased a .38 revolver to run with!

16. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I'm glad you like your M&P, I have a love/hate relationship with mine... Of course (my luck), I got one of the few that had "early unlocking" issues. I love the feel of the gun, but I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it... I can hit golf balls at 30 yards with my buddies M&P9, but mine is a different story... It went back to Smith when I first got it because it was shooting all over the place (even from a bench rest), and a gritty trigger... Well it came back with a crazy smooth/lite trigger (3.75lb pull), but the consistency was still crap. Smith told me it met their combat accuracy requirements...

So the gun takes a back seat to a G19 if I shoot comps, but I still carry it... One day I will get a aftermarket barrel and fix the issue...

17. undeRGRound

INDY

They make a 40 Shield :p
    Prolly lighter than any 38 Spec?

18. Welcome to the M&P club. I love my M&P40fs. Over 5,000 rounds through it and no failures. Mostly Blazer Brass, but some Winchester too.

Definitely visit the MP-Pistols forum. Lots of great info and people.

Heads up though, you really didn't need to polish to get rid of the gritty trigger. As soon as 400 rounds, it all goes smooth. Pretty much every one. Mine never was gritty and only people I read complaining of grit are always below that count. Never after.

19. Welcome to the club! Im up to 29 M&P models now, by far to me the best full size semi auto pistols. I own several Glocks (7 i believe) but have never liked them as much as my M&Ps. I have put the full Apex trigger kit in all my full size and my CC Shield. Dont worry about the $160 price as its by far the best trigger Ive felt on any Semi Auto pistol. Put that sucker in there and you will find yourself in bed cycling it over and over...ha.

20. I too am a big fan of the M&Ps. I have short, stubby fingers and when I bought my first pistol, I wanted a Glock. None of them fit my hand comfortably though. Just like you KUhockey, when I picked up my first M&P, I got a grin on my face. Yep, that was the one. I've got an SD9VE that I love the way it feels too.