Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Well I'm putting my application in the mail today for a concealed carry permit. I don't plan on carrying often but I wanted to make sure that I always have the option. After taking the class I thought I'd give some advice. If you have not taken the class and own a gun for self defense, even if its just meant to stay in the house, you need to take this class. I learned some invaluable lessons about self defense laws that I believe every gun owner should know.

The gun store which I frequent offers the class every day and they were even going to let me take it for free if all I wanted was the information. I decided to pay the $40 bucks and go through with the whole process, but if you just want to take the class for information's sake ask your local gun store owner if they would be willing to let you sit in on a class. You'll be glad that you did.

Thanks to everyone on this site who helps newbies out like me.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
what was all invovled in getting the licence?? did you have to go to the range and qualify ? how long if the class? give us some details if you can i'm thinking of taking the class or should i say applying for my lisence.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
When you get the permit, do me a favor, change your mind and carry whenever possible and wherever legal.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Congrats on the course and taking your next step.

I want to say something here and I'm not trying to tick you off in ANY way, I just want to offer a different perspective and it lines up with Broomhead, but on steroids.

Carrying to me, is not something that I have an option to do, and may choose to do sometime. It's more of an obligation that carries real responsibilities. You need to be totally comfortable carrying in many situations. You need to practice drawing, shooting, retreating, reloading, clearing jams..... all that stuff. If you're going to carry once a month or similar, and not practice, you may be better off not carrying at all. If you need to react, your actions will not be familiar to you and second-nature. And your mindset won't be right. Even with all that practice, the odds of doing it right are rather low once the adrenalin kicks in. You should get enrolled in competitive shooting and used to shooting under time and obstacle pressures.

So, well done on the class and the docs and getting ready. IMHO - if you're going to really carry, step up and do it like you mean it.

And last, not trying to be confrontational at all. I'm just taking a little different perspective.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congrats OP!!! When my fiancee and I took the class it was a mandatory 12 hour course. 10 hours classroom with a written test and 2 hours range time with a shooting test. You had to score at least a 75% to be able to take the range test. You had to score at least a 75% to pass the range test and get your certificate. It was fun. We were there by 7:40a class started at 8a. By time the whole course was done and we got our certificates it was 9p and I had to be at work that night by 11p. Man I was tired but I was glad I took the course cause I learned a whole lot. These is a great thing for all of us as gun owners to do. Im glad I did and talked my fiancee into doing it too. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input! Could you give some suggestions of sites that show you how to conceal a weapon well? I want to carry often but I don't think that I can conceal my weapon with the clothing I wear. I live in Florida and that doesn't lend itself well to concealing a weapon. Most of the time I wear jeans and a button up short sleeve shirt.

By the way in Florida the class was three hours long. Most of that time was spent on the personal defense laws (when to shoot, when to not shoot, how to not get sued if you do shoot) that type of stuff. Then we had to go out on the range and show that we could handle the firearm. For my instructor that meant firing three rounds. In Florida you have to send in a copy of the certificate that they give you after taking the class as well as a passport photo and fingerprints. The state then charges you $75 dollars to process the application and $42 to process the finger prints. The total out of pocket is $117 plus the $40 for the class and $10 for a passport photo - $167.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Well, you can get an inside waist band holster or a smartcarry. I have one of both and my wife couldn't tell I was carrying. I normally wear jeans and a tshirt or polo. The IWB holster I got was tuckable so I could tuck my shirt in if I wanted to. I got a kholster from http://www.kholster.com and got my smartcarry from http://www.smartcarry.com.

I also agree with the others. I carry as often as I can. I'm not able to carry where I work but it's the first thing I put on when we go anywhere after work.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
As with everything else, it depends. Your body style, what you wear, what you are comfortable wearing as a holster and so on.

I use a couple http://www.highnoonholsters.com products and one http://www.ubgholsters.com/. UBG is more built to order; Hi Noon has some as stocking items. There's also CTAC, Crossbreed, and so on. Lots of thoughts on holsters - my input and others may/not agree - buy less expensive first to see how you want to carry, then spring for a better one of that style. MANY of the more expensive holsters offer money back if you're not satisfied so be prepared to experiment. Also, if you belong to club, ask around. I'll bet many of them carry and I guarantee if they do, they have input and can show you some. If your gun is the same, they may even let you try a few. It's a fun journey.

Good luck to you and thanks for taking the input in the helpful spirit in which it is intended.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Just look for one that says it works for 4-5" autos/semi-autos.

·
Registered
40 Posts
awesome; when i applied for my permit in WA I didn't have to take a class or anything. I previously had gun handling and training and am master hunter certified so maybe that had something to do with it. just recently we had a concealed weapons carrier discharge and kill an attacker. no charges pressed and the police deemed it justified. He was attacked by his car by a man with a stick. his arm was broke ect... its great to hear about cases like this. justifies carrying. I carry everywhere possible!!!!!!!!!! and in WA its legal to open carry, but the people get freaked out when they see a gun....... :brow:

·
Registered
315 Posts
+1 on Everything Broomhead and Newskate said. As for me, I didn't get a permit to use Part time. Fulltime here!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well, you can get an inside waist band holster or a smartcarry. I have one of both and my wife couldn't tell I was carrying. I normally wear jeans and a tshirt or polo. The IWB holster I got was tuckable so I could tuck my shirt in if I wanted to. I got a kholster from http://www.kholster.com and got my smartcarry from http://www.smartcarry.com.

I also agree with the others. I carry as often as I can. I'm not able to carry where I work but it's the first thing I put on when we go anywhere after work.
How well do you think the Smartcarry will conceal and hold a HP .45?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
You'll be quite popular with the girls!!! :devilsidesmile:

JK, don't have one.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
This thread has been bouncing from subject to subject. I don't think I'd audit a CC class in states with them due to liability. If I end up in court I don't want to be asked why I didn't actually take the class.

As for choosing when to carry; once you get used to it you'll be comfortable with it. In December I spent 2 weeks in Wisconsin and hated being disarmed everywhere I went. I was uncomfortable NOT being able to choose.

Holsters are something very personal. Everybody has a bunch they never use because after buying them they don't like them for whatever reason. I know about 4 guys that admit to having bought a Smart Carry. Not one of them still uses it; they all say it was uncomfortable and slow. (We can argue whether a CCW situation requires a fast draw somewhere else--please!) Just read this site and others you find interesting--ask if you're looking for something specific--then check for others that have bought/tried a product/technique.

So, wj11^2, welcome to the CCW world as well as this forum.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
It is hard to conceal in FLA weather. Your best bet may be some kind of IWB. This is impractical (to me) with a large frame auto. Some people go with the bellyband, but I can see where those would get very uncomfortable in high humidity. They What sort of pistol are you going to carry? Lots of times a slightly oversized shirt will do the trick with IWB. You may even want to consider a pocket pistol, but by no means should it be just dropped in a pocket if you carry with a round chambered. I would advise you to go to the LGS and try everything you can lay hands on and don't rush around, you want to be comfortable and safe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input! Could you give some suggestions of sites that show you how to conceal a weapon well? I want to carry often but I don't think that I can conceal my weapon with the clothing I wear. I live in Florida and that doesn't lend itself well to concealing a weapon. Most of the time I wear jeans and a button up short sleeve shirt.

By the way in Florida the class was three hours long. Most of that time was spent on the personal defense laws (when to shoot, when to not shoot, how to not get sued if you do shoot) that type of stuff. Then we had to go out on the range and show that we could handle the firearm. For my instructor that meant firing three rounds. In Florida you have to send in a copy of the certificate that they give you after taking the class as well as a passport photo and fingerprints. The state then charges you $75 dollars to process the application and $42 to process the finger prints. The total out of pocket is $117 plus the $40 for the class and $10 for a passport photo - $167.
Well I am glad I moved from Florida to Georgia...no class here and the cost is only around $45 for the license and fingerprints, etc. Not that there is anything wrong with a class. For those who have no or little experience with weapons, I DO RECOMMEND some type of class even if your state does not require it. You can never noty learn enough. I'm just happy I'm not required to take one...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.