Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

This is my first post, so Hello Y'all. I have a couple of questions and observations.

I just received a used 995 and decided to give it a thorough clean. First, I wish the manual warned you about the firing pin and the bolt retainer leaping out when taking the gun apart.

The next thing is that I cannot get the bolt over the front sight. Is that correct?

Anyway, I decided to clean the barrel using the same foaming bore cleaner that I use on my milsurps. I am still seeing blue patches after three treatments. Has anyone else seen this level of fouling in a Hi- Point?

Lastly, is there a particular way to clean the firing pin channel. I think mine is a little sticky as the noise when I dry fire is not very crisp. Could it be I need a new spring?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
850 Posts
Did you buy the gun used and was it in bad shape or something? I really wouldn't have worried too much about the deep cleaning yet. Just make sure the bore is nice and clean and the action is smooth and you're good to go. These guns are very low maintenance. And no the bolt will not fit over the front sight. And what kind of bore cleaner are you using? There are some bore cleaners that will start to take of the bluing if you aren't careful. Believe me I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, keby

The gun was not in bad shape other than the front sight ring got broken in transit. That is an issue for another day.

I always disassemble secondhand guns before I shoot them because you never know how much abuse/odd "maintenance" they may have endured. The barrel cleaning is a habit I have picked up from milsurp collecting. A shiny bore has proved to be shiny with LOTS of copper in the past, so I clean all new guns this way. This barrel was a little gunky with what looked like dust or powder sitting on gun oil.

I am using Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner. Which product did you find to be too vicious?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Gun Scrubber is a little too vicious. Although they do have a synthetic safe product that works out a little better for me.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I have seen a very good video on You Tube about breaking down the 995. In it, the narrator says you have to take off the front sight so the upper rcvr can slide off the barrel. Note, the front sight also acts as a retainer for the top heat shield.

I just fired my month old 995 at the range yesterday - what a blast (so to speak) and very accurate. Even had the guys in the next lane asking about it and after I let them fire it, they to were hooked. As I cleaned it last night, I noticed how far the firing pin protrudes out and covered it as I punched the rod thru the barrel. (Cursory cleaning - not a full breakdown.)

Enjoy the new toy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts