Just got a single shot 12ga - Questions

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by SouthSeraPirate, May 13, 2013.

1. Just got my first single shot, break down type shotgun. It is a Savage 220 12ga. Seeing how this is my first of this type, it came to my attention I know jack about them.

I can break down the gun to the barrel and forward furniture, but cant get to the internals. Anyone have a schematic of this thing or know how to break it down?

The lever to break it open is really stiff. I have to take it pretty far to get it to drop the barrel. I know the button press type is fairly easy to open, but this is the side to side lever. So Im not sure if this normal. If it isnt normal; then what could be wrong?

Ill be looking for something to help with recoil. Is there anything out there besides the one-size fits all recoil pad? Is there a way to size them?

Also, there discoloration and surface rust on the body and barrel. I know this applies to other guns besides this one, Ive just never had to research such a thing. Point me in the right direction.

Im sure I could get a hold of a wider audience on a shotgun forum, but I need to sign up for another forum like I need head trauma. Besides, I like it here :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  2. Bitsman

Bitsman Member

12 ga single is a gun everyone should own...There really is not need to take the internals of the action apart unless something breaks.. So I am a little confused as to why you want to do that.

Here's a slip on recoil pad.. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pachmayr-Decelerator-Slip-On-Recoil-Pads/741408.uts
    Here are a few that you can get and screw in then shape to your stock... http://www.brownells.com/items/shotgun-recoil-pads-rifle-stock.aspx

I doubt there is anything wrong with the break open lever.. It might need a good cleaing or just a shot of oil to smooth its operation out.. My father has an old Stevens SxS that uses the lever to open.. As I recall it has always been a little stiff...

Love my single.. She's never let me down when the pumps or semi-auto's stop working for one reason or another...

3. 2111USMC

2111USMC Lead Slinger Member

I've owned a number of single-shot shotguns but never one of this style.

However, I have handled a number of them with this type of breakdown lever. Your comments about the release lever being stiff and requiring a very wide swing to release the barrel is quite typical. They usually get a little looser over time. Has it been used much?

Limbsaver makes a large selection of bolt-on type recoil pads for most all brands of shotguns:

http://www.limbsaver.com/firearms/recoil.php

4. 2111USMC

2111USMC Lead Slinger Member

A lot of the Model 220s were/are slug guns. Does it have a rifled barrel?

Just curious.

5. I want to open it up all the way to clean it all up. Ive cleaned a bit on the outside catch, but its now actually worse. I also like to know every inch of my guns. Not for any other reason than to just know.

As for the recoil pads, is there a size standard or standards? I really want to screw one on. I hate the covers honestly; I really prefer stock look?

It looks to be really old, so I could only imagine heavy use. After cleaning it the best I could, it actually seems stiffer. Not to mention I have been working it. Ive seen a couple of videos on Youtube showing these same type releases and I see them barely moving them, and from what I can tell, fairly minimal effort.

Not rifled, nor a slug gun. This is the 220; no other lettering behind it :/

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Are you sure it isn't a Stevens? The Savage 220 these days is a bolt slug gun, but the Stevens was a break action gun.

That doesn't mean the 220 break wasn't made under both names.;)

And yes, the release should have to be moved a long way to actuate, don't want it falling apart by accident.

7. nadodave

nadodave the Great Member

My brother has a double barrel Montgomery ward 12 ga. The lever to break open is pretty stiff, and I always assumed it was to make sure you couldn't break-open accidentally.

I only shoot my shotgun when I want a beating, so no comment on the buttpad from me!

8. If you take the butt stock off the tang should be a hollowed out area that is the access to the action. You'll be able to see if it's gunked up through there.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Did a bit more research, according to internet lore, the Savage 220 was made between '38 and '68, and with no letter suffix, it should be an early model. Pre 1946 should say Utica, after that it should say Chicopee Falls, and then in the late 50's they went to the Stevens factory, no idea if they kept stamping them Savage, or if they went to the Stevens name then. They were a $30 gun in 1957.

The 220 is actually a hammerless version of the Savage Model 94, and they made shotgun barrels and rifle barrels for both models, all of which interchange, as do stocks and fore ends, if the stuff I am reading is correct.

I have a Stevens 107B, left to me by my dad, pretty similar look to it, but my stock is cracked.

10. Bitsman

Bitsman Member

My dad bought this for me after my 1st Dove hunting trip.. I shot close to 300 rounds out of a 1100 12ga and a think I actually hit 5 birds total... Ended up with a bruise from my shoulder about half way down my bicep... You learn to shoot a lot better if you only have one shot... Been meaning to refinish the stock just have not gotten around to it in the last 30+ years...

Attached Files:

11. It is very possible its a Stevens. But it does say Savage 220. Maybe contracted?

If its to keep from accidental opening, then it is massive over kill. Its that stiff, it really hurts my thumb.

I cannot figure out how I would get the stock off. Barrel is far as I can get. I can only imagine its full of gunk as the release is covered in it.

Appreciate the help! Links to some of said research?

Word for word:
    SAVAGE
    savage arms corporation
    Utica, New York U.S.A.
    MODEL 220

So we are talking WWII era gun?

Unfortunately, it looks like the stock has a small starting crack to it too. Doesn't look bad now, but may develop into something bigger. Hope not.

I don't hunt. Not to say I wouldn't, just saying I haven't intended to do so. I simply like my guns and I like shooting them. So the longer I can save my arm, the longer I can have fun. Not to mention, I really want the woman of the house to be able to shoot it too.

Speaking on refinishing the stock, I suppose thats another reason I want to break it down; I want to refinish the wood.

Appreciate the pics and I do like the pad. And very awesome this was bought for you by your father.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The research was about 8 or 9 different forums with stuff from various catalogs, lists, or books, as repeated by guys on the forums. But usually, they agreed on details from various sources.

Yep, I'd say pre-war, or WW2 era

The fore end should just pull off, pull the front end down first.

To get the butt off, you'll need to remove the butt plate, then use a LONG large straight blade screwdriver to reach inside the hole you will find, and unscrew the tang bolt. Once you get that off, you should be able to see some of the parts you are worried about, hit it with some gun scrubber type spray foam, wipe and/or blow it out, lube a bit, and it should solve your problems.

I really wouldn't suggest unscrewing and unpinning a lot of things...many of these old guns have non-standard screws, very hard to replace broken or stripped parts.

Here's the link to a drawing

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SavageStevensSpringfieldFox-33479/Shotguns-40503/220-41284.htm

13. You sir are full of awesome! I do indeed see the screw behind the butt plate. Now to find that one screwdriver that's long enough. I wont go too far, I just need to get in there to clean what I can and eventually refinish the stock when I get bored :D

14. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

I've been around shotguns like or similar to this one since I was a kid in the late 50s. I don't remember anyone ever taking one apart. A new on was around $30 or so. We cracked a few stocks and generally mistreated them but they were reliable. Some 12 gauges kicked hard and some didn't. We never figured out why one would kick much harder than others. I traded one to my brother because I kicked so hard I couldn't stand it. I currently have a Savage 220A 16 gauge made somewhere around 1950. It and most of the Savage shotguns prior to 1978 don't have a serial number. They felt the paperwork was burdensome.

15. Alright, so I went to a friends house who had shotguns with the same lever release. Both were less than half the effort than mine.

I also noticed its cocking is what makes it so difficult. I pulled the trigger while it was broke down and it was just as stiff in comparison to the gun when closed.

I want to break it down to clean it the best I can. With this issue happening makes me want to do it that much more so. Not to mention age. And from what I can see with just barrel open; you'd agree.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  16. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Check the lever lug and where it contacts the barrel release. May have some burrs or rust or gunk buildup.

17. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

On those old singles be VERY sure that the blade of your screwdriver fits VERY well into the slot. If you can feel any play side to side find another till it feel just right. If that screw has not been out in a loooong time, it may/will be very tight...strip it and you will be cutting that stock off. I have snapped one off before also.
    I have replaced several of those screws once they were out with allen head socket screws. Special order through McMaster/Carr or Fastenal. Better in and out.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    And who doesn't enjoy a nice tight fit in the slot, and better in and out?:D

19. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

I must visit this "NE Utah" some day. Folks seem to know alot about properly fitting slots.;)
    I know we do!
    Ok...done. Promise!
    Also, put "never sieze" on the threads of those stock bolts.

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There is still some polygamy in some of the more remote rural areas, so they get plenty of practice...

And yes, that is enough, I too am done.:cool: