Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my .40 worked great, out of 50 rounds I had 3-4 ftf, but they were all within the 1st 4 rounds out of 10 (new magazine, just loaded on Weds)
my accuracy however sucked!! Out of 25-30 rounds at 15 yards, only 9 hit the paper and 5 of those were in the outer black. I dont know if I'm aiming to low to compensate or what, but I will just have to keep at it. I can notice the spring is loosening up and the rounds are feeding better. any suggestions for new handgun owners and how to aim? Thanks!

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
it would help to have a knowlegable pistol shooter with you to correct your mistakes. you are likely making several different mistakes to ahve results like yours. most important is proper grip and trigger squeeze.

are you holding the gun with both hands?
is your trigger finger contacting the frame or grip at all?
are you jerking the trigger?

SW

G

·
5 great things to help any shooter!

1 - Grip the gun as firmly as possible...your hand will shake, but your shot will actually be more steady. Besides, in real life, your hand will probably shake a bit anyway unless you're Bruce Willis.

2 - Focus on the Front Sight ONLY. Practice by looking at it for extended periods of time, until you notice every flaw of that little yellow square and feel like it's growing to be huge!

3 - Pullback. As you push forward firmly with your main hand, pull back with at least half of the same pressure with your other hand. This will stabilize recoil and help control the shot with a more stable gun frame.

4 - High grip. Before each shot, push your shooting hand as high up into the pistol as possible, until you see a ripple of flesh in that area between thumb and forefinger. This grip will allow you to pull the trigger without changing your aiming angle.

5 - Even Trigger Pull. Although you're shooting on purpose, you want the exact moment of the fire to be a surprise to you. You do this by focusing on the follow-through, and where your finger pull/squeeze should end up. You don't want to focus on when the shot fires. A GREAT exercise for this is dry firing. It's not harmful on center fire guns to dry fire, but some people think that if you're going to do a lot of it, it's not a bad idea to use spring loaded fake bullets, just to be safe on your gun.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I was having problems when I first started shooting my C9. I found out that I was jerking trigger. I bought some snap caps (fake bullets) and pulled the trigger on one of those. I immediately found out that the trigger travels a good distance before the firing pin is activated. I went to the range Thurs and I could not believe the difference I was shooting compared to when I first got the gun. I does make a BIG difference. I have read that it does not hurt to dry fire the HP but I'd rather have something in there. Learn the "feel" of the trigger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts