Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this thing two weekends ago. Sent it out the Monday after. Got it back today. Total turnaround: 9 business days. Not bad.

When I opened it, I was pleased. Here's the unboxing...

If that looks a lot like a new firearm, that's because it practically is. The only thing they used from my old gun was the receiver and the barrel. Everything else is brand new.

I bought this gun for $185. Now, it's practically brand new. Here's what was replaced.

Stock
Barrel Shroud
Sights
Clip (I think this is the clip that holds the stock halves together)
Slide
Firing Pin
Firing Pin Spring
Sear Pin
Sear Pin Spring
Trigger
Main Spring
Operating Handle

Plus, they threw in an extra magazine. And, in all honesty, it looks as if they replaced the original I sent in with the gun, too.

They sure know how to make a guy smile. Next week, I'm sending out the pistol.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
ahhhhhh, it's just a baby!!

good for you, let us know how she shoots!

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
That is awesome!! They even included all the accessories & paperwork with it.
You should give us before & after pictures of the pistol too so we can see what they do to that as well.

G

·
No matter what people on other firearms forums are saying, I don't think any other company out there in this line of product does so much for their loyal customers. Especially when u consider they don't charge anything for parts and repairs and even give u a clip to cover the cost of the shipping to them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No matter what people on other firearms forums are saying, I don't think any other company out there in this line of product does so much for their loyal customers. Especially when u consider they don't charge anything for parts and repairs and even give u a clip to cover the cost of the shipping to them.

It seems as if they are almost giving their product away. I love the fireams they sell and hope they are here for a long time. Hats off to Beemiller

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I almost feel guilty.

Not guilty enough to keep me from sending my $60 pawn shop C9 in next week, but guilty nonetheless.

I feel bad because I got both of my Hi Points secondhand, so they didn't make a dime off me. But, they fixed my gun anyway. I don't need another .40 or .45 (heck, I didn't need another 9mm pistol, but for that price, I couldn't pass it up, especially with the warranty).

I think I will pledge to myself only to buy mags and accessories directly from Hi Point. They've clearly earned my business.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Let me be sure I got this straight...... I just bought a used 995 with a beat-up ugly stock. My gunsmith checked it out and says it is perfect mechanically and operation-wise. That he guesses the previous owner probably just threw it in back of his pick-up and drove around in rain and sun for a year or two. I bought it because I am putting the ATI stock and lots of mods on it anyway, so who cares about the stock.

So, are you saying that all I have to do is send it back to Hi-Point (after talking with them of course and getting a ROA) and they will fix it up like new?

When something sounds to good to be true...it probably isn't.

I bought 2 pistols in Dec and Jan, CF380 & 40SW, so I am aware of their lifetime warranty policy, but this would be ridiculous!

Somebody say something.....please!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Let me be sure I got this straight...... I just bought a used 995 with a beat-up ugly stock. My gunsmith checked it out and says it is perfect mechanically and operation-wise. That he guesses the previous owner probably just threw it in back of his pick-up and drove around in rain and sun for a year or two. I bought it because I am putting the ATI stock and lots of mods on it anyway, so who cares about the stock.

So, are you saying that all I have to do is send it back to Hi-Point (after talking with them of course and getting a ROA) and they will fix it up like new?

When something sounds to good to be true...it probably isn't.

I bought 2 pistols in Dec and Jan, CF380 & 40SW, so I am aware of their lifetime warranty policy, but this would be ridiculous!

Somebody say something.....please!!!!
All you have to do is send it in and they will send it back in like new condition, it is TRUE.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cowabunga Clara....that's a deal. So I just call Beemiller in Mansfield and they will tell me how? I know I have to ship from my FFL, but does it come back to the same FFL or to my house?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Go to UPS and tell them it's machine parts. Don;t tell them anythign else. Then include a note with all your concerns or requests with you phone number and adress. In a little over a week Hi-Point will ship you back a basically new gun with an extra mag and sling and all kinds of little pieces. UPs charged me 8$ to ship it back. Hi-Point will ship it directly to your door.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Buckeye Charly, I read a story once about an old boy who FOUND a 995 in a dumpster. The barrel was bent, the stock was broken off and in it's place was a daisy BB gun stock, duct taped to the gun. He picked the thing up out of the trash and took it home cause he liked the idea of a project gun. He called Beemiller to BUY replacement parts so he could get to tinkering on it. They told him to send it in so they could look it over. Week or so later he got what looked like a brand new gun back in the mail.

No questions asked, lifetime transferable warranty. I have never, in my years(admittedly only 28 of them, but still) seen a company that puts it's money where it's mouth is like these people, not in firearms or ANY other business.

Now, if it were me, I would send the gun in if I suspected something might be wrong with it, or I felt it really needed a checkup. But if it just could use a new stock, I would buy one from the company and install it myself. I'm not saying you shouldn't, but to my mind, sending the gun in for something like that would be abusing their hospitality. But then that's just me and I really enjoy picking things apart, taking them down, and putting them back together.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Also, warranty/repair work to and from the manufacturer to the end consumer is not required to go through an FFL, in the case of hi-point or any other firearms. DUnno about sending them overseas though, never done it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You don't have to go through an FFL if you are shipping a firearm back to a manufacturer for service. You also are NOT required by law to notify UPS or Fed Ex when shipping a firearm. The COMPANY might require it, but failure to do so is NOT against the law, only against carrier policy.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/shipping.htm

Shirley at Beemiller explained to me that if a gun isn't functioning properly, it really is just a bunch of "machine parts", and that's what you write on the outside of the package (and that's what Beemiller recommends you do). If anyone asks you, just tell them the box contains machine parts as labeled. No one even asked me, though. Worked perfectly. Only cost me $8.79 to ship it back UPS, including $200 insurance.

But yes, you will need to call Beemiller beforehand with the serial no. of your gun and what specifically needs done, or, from what I understand, you can just ask them to go over it and make sure it is in safe condition. They'll update any obsolete, broken, or worn parts and ship it back to you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Boy, all you guys are great. I really do appreciate your input and will follow your suggestions after I get the old gun in next week sometime. I have been in email contact with Shirley Deeb over the past month regarding Official company policy about "carrying" with a round chambered in pistols. FYI, their Official position is don't do it ... it is not safe. This came from the owner and designer, Tom Deeb... A statement I completely agree with. Anyway, Shirley is familiar with me so I should have no problem explaining what I am trying to do. I plan to put on an ATI stock and mods, so a new stock is not important as it will come off. I just want to make sure it functions properly before I do the customizing work. I don't want to get repair under false pretenses. I can take it to my local gunsmith but I would prefer a factory look-see.

And again FYI, there are two other gun manufacturers that stand behind their products 100% to the current owner. They are Henry Repeating Arms and Taurus Mfg. I have had to call upon them each at one time for a free lost part (my fault) and a 30 year old gun for a new gun for free exchange. Henry, like HP, is an all American gun, made it NJ by American workers, using parts made in America with American raw materials....right down to the ore mining. There too I have had personal contact with the President.

So, for me HP is a natural choice. Again, thanks everyone for all your assistance. BC

·
Registered
17 Posts
Boy, all you guys are great. I really do appreciate your input and will follow your suggestions after I get the old gun in next week sometime. I have been in email contact with Shirley Deeb over the past month regarding Official company policy about "carrying" with a round chambered in pistols. FYI, their Official position is don't do it ... it is not safe. This came from the owner and designer, Tom Deeb... A statement I completely agree with.[/ Anyway, Shirley is familiar with me so I should have no problem explaining what I am trying to do. I plan to put on an ATI stock and mods, so a new stock is not important as it will come off. I just want to make sure it functions properly before I do the customizing work. I don't want to get repair under false pretenses. I can take it to my local gunsmith but I would prefer a factory look-see.

And again FYI, there are two other gun manufacturers that stand behind their products 100% to the current owner. They are Henry Repeating Arms and Taurus Mfg. I have had to call upon them each at one time for a free lost part (my fault) and a 30 year old gun for a new gun for free exchange. Henry, like HP, is an all American gun, made it NJ by American workers, using parts made in America with American raw materials....right down to the ore mining. There too I have had personal contact with the President.

So, for me HP is a natural choice. Again, thanks everyone for all your assistance. BC

This always raises interesting conversation and conflicting opinions. I would fully expect the manufacturer to make such a statement for liability purposes. It would be interesting to know how Tom Deeb carries! I personally disagree and don't believe there is safety issue. I carry a revolver generally, and a d/a pistol occasionally, and there is always a round in the chamber on either. But, I can accept personal preference. Peace and Prosperity.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
You don't have to go through an FFL if you are shipping a firearm back to a manufacturer for service. You also are NOT required by law to notify UPS or Fed Ex when shipping a firearm. The COMPANY might require it, but failure to do so is NOT against the law, only against carrier policy.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/shipping.htm

Shirley at Beemiller explained to me that if a gun isn't functioning properly, it really is just a bunch of "machine parts", and that's what you write on the outside of the package (and that's what Beemiller recommends you do). If anyone asks you, just tell them the box contains machine parts as labeled. No one even asked me, though. Worked perfectly. Only cost me $8.79 to ship it back UPS, including $200 insurance.

But yes, you will need to call Beemiller beforehand with the serial no. of your gun and what specifically needs done, or, from what I understand, you can just ask them to go over it and make sure it is in safe condition. They'll update any obsolete, broken, or worn parts and ship it back to you.
Also see this thread http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,12976.0.html

You are NOT required to ship your handgun via OVERNIGHT shipping, but you ARE REQUIRED BY LAW TO DECLARE IT IS A FIREARM. This is expressly stated in the LAW. I do not like or agree with this LAW however that IS how it is written, and this law does nothing but allow the shipper to use this sentence to gouge US because you are not required to ship it overnight but by UPS and FedEx company policy they use the requirement to declare as a means to screw us. I just wanted to lay out the facts about the LAW. I am not saying what I or anyone else SHOULD or WILL do if I need to send my gun in. 8)

EDIT: I AM WRONG IF THIS BATF LETTER IS LEGITIMATE

Here is a letter from the BATF saying that you are not required by law to notify the common contract carrier (i.e. UPS or FedEX), therefore you would only be violating company policy.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/BATFE_shipping_letter.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...to any person ... other than a licensed manufacturer...

That little "other" makes all the difference! Pretty cool, huh?

·
Registered
128 Posts
They key words are 1. "HANDGUN", and "YOU". A long gun can be shipped by you directly to the manufacturer via USP, FedX or USPS and overnight is not required. I have personally shipped using the MFG's UPS pickup account for ground shipping and it was shipped back to my home via ground. However, when shipping a handgun back to the MFG, a FFL can ship it via USPS for about 10% of the UPS/FedX charges. I have also used this method and the pistol was then returned by the MFG directly to my home. Long guns OK, pistols are another matter entirely as are black powder weapons which are not controlled at all as far as shipping is concerned. So, returning directly to HP via USPS is OK. And, for prevention of theft by employees in route using any shipping method, do not identify the gun as such, use the words Machined Parts if asked...which technically it is. Mostly if you break it down into a shorter box, no one will question it. If you ship back yourself in the original long box with Brand names on it, be prepared to be questioned, especially by the uninformed personnel at the Post Office. They suggest NO marking on the box. I suggest taking a printout of their shipping rules with you just in case.

However, if you try to ship surreptitiously from one private individual to another...it IS a violation of Federal law and you can be jailed if you are caught.

3 good sights with an overview of all methods and the law. http://www.cgwgun.com/shipping/usps.aspx http://www.seark.net/~jlove/shipping.htm http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Buckeye...

Interesting...

The actual law doesn't distinguish between handgun and long gun in cases where you use a common carrier to ship a firearm back to the manufacturer. Here's what the law itself says...

"It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped..."

It says you have to give notice EXCEPT in cases where you are shipping to importers/manufacturers (for repair), to licensed dealers (an FFL holder) or a licensed collector (I guess this means a C&R holder). In which case, you do not have to tell UPS/FedEx what is in your box, whether it be handgun or rifle; the law above doesn't make the distinction. And Beemiller doesn't seem to make the distinction either, as I've heard of several people sending back pistols in this manner. I don't think it would be good business for Beemiller to tell their customers to break the law. Going to jail tends to curb your repeat business!

Anyway, just some food for thought. I'd say to everyone, handgun or long gun, call Beemiller, and with their experience, I am certain that they know the ins and outs of it and will advise correctly.

Regardless, congrats on the 995 and I hope you end up liking it as much as I do mine. They really are worth more than what they sell for, in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts