Just got my anniversary present!

Discussion in 'Welcome Aboard' started by wmwid, Jul 18, 2015.

1. wmwid

wmwid Member

And it is a Hi Point C9.

I am very new to guns. Started shooting on a .410 about a year and a half ago and bought my own 20 gauge about 6 months after that. I had not handled a pistol until today.

A few days ago my husband told me that he wanted to get me a pistol for our 1st anniversary. He had a Hi Point in mind, showed me what it was all about on the internet ... read the good, bad and ugly, and I decided that this would be a good first handgun for me. I will be getting my CCP in the near future, but this is for home protection first and foremost. We live out in the country, and you never know who or what may show up on the property. I also do a bit of traveling by myself with my dogs to go to dog events, and my husband doesn't usually come with me. So this is an added level of comfort for both of us.

So I purchased it on Tuesday, picked it up today, and went out and put 150 rounds through it today. Not a single hiccup. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I am very happy with my gift! I have a lot to learn and need to get more comfortable with it, but I know I will and am very excited to learn more and shoot more. I'm hyper safety conscious, which I know is certainly not a bad thing. I did not grow up around guns, so this is all still pretty new to me.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am sure I will have a lot of questions.

And a quick story ... My husband and I went to look at the gun on a Monday. The salesperson was very helpful and knowledgeable about the C9. He also told us that a sale was starting the next day. I went back the next day to make the purchase, and there was a different salesman there. A young guy who I found out pretty quickly was a gun snob. I walked up and told him that I wanted to purchase the C9. He looked at me and said "Really? Are you sure? Have you read about it? Done any research??" Of course I said yes, and told him that THAT was the gun I wanted. Period.

Throughout the background check and checkout and what not, he kept saying things like "you know it's a disposable gun, so blah blah blah." "Well, we don't really have any accessories for it because nobody buys them because they aren't really a good gun." Etc., etc.

When I went back today to pick it up, the guy I first talked to (who was really knowledgeable and helpful) was there and he is who I dealt with to finish the transaction. I was glad it wasn't the gun snob. Funny thing is, Mr. Gun Snob just made me want the C9 even more than when I walked in knowing exactly what I was going to purchase. :rofl:

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

congrats on your new toy and welcome

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Too bad, you shot the Hi Point FIRST. You may not like "better guns" :D
    The Hi Points tend to shoot softer than nearly ALL Polymer handguns, due
    to the design. Extra weight has it's advantages in a handgun! :cool:

He's a d!ck, simple as that! I guarantee he never shot one...
    or is even worse, a LYING D!ck! :D I have "better handguns" and rifles, but
    these little jewels are so smooth and inexpensive I will not let them go! :splits:

Welcome to HPFF, and buy some more! ;)

4. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Welcome from the great southwest!

Glad to have you as part of the hpff family. There are only a few women on this forum. They'll be happy to have you here as well.

Fun fun fun!

5. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

Get used to this, it happens. I have personally changed the minds of several people who were on the "hipoint's suck bandwagon". Almost always once somebody gets their hands on one and actually sees them function, they realize they're not disposable and tend to work.

Best thing to do when you run across somebody like this is to ask them questions. When they tell you they're disposable, ask them "have you owned one or shot one"? Then ask what they mean by disposable. Then when they say "well my friend shot one and the slide blew apart and took a chunk out of his head". Ask them when this happened, where, and who their friend is. Lol, i've heard that same thing said so many times it's a wonder a journalist or reporter hasn't found one of these instances.

6. undeRGRound

INDY
    The only part of "disposable" I subscribe to is "easily replaced". Good reason
    to own at least ONE for that aspect, alone. Good 'truck gun' for SD, etc...
    Among all the other reasons!

7. histed

histed Supporting Member

Welcome to the zoo! Told a lot of newbies - the C9 was my wife's first choice for her first gun. Underground hit it - you'll go a long way to find a softer shooting 9mm and it gives up nothing in accuracy. Lots of snobs and haters (I used to be one), but I'd bet few of them actually shot a HP. Get some good hollow points for "social issues" - otherwise it should eat what you feed it. Also, pick up a couple of 10 round mags - only $15 from MOM

8. wmwid

wmwid Member

Thanks everyone. Very glad I found this forum. Looking forward to learning and getting back out tomorrow to feed her a few more rounds. If anyone has a Gander Mountain near them, they have some good deals on ammo this week. I'm going to need to go back and get more at the rate I'm going!

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    Gouger Mountain is the highest place around here, but I have been picking up
    their "special" on WWB (Winchester White Box) NATO 9mm :D I can get 300 rounds
    for $100.xx which is 2 boxes of 150. I would not feed a Hi Point a steady diet
    of this, however... AOOA had a carbine he had to send back to MOM
    after 500 rounds of NATO ran thru it. It was a 995... :eek:

WalMart is usually lots cheaper! perFecta is CHEAP, but so is the WWB standard ammo.

10. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Welcome! I too am a new HP C9 owner and new to the forum. Have already made some minor cosmetic modifications on mine:

:)

Attached Files:

11. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Welcome to both of you from sunny (well, sort of) Colorado. You'll like the C9. Just give it a mixed diet of food so you'll know what runs best in it, and make dang sure you keep what runs best in it, in it, so when you need it, it's in it. Damn, what did I just say? :foilhat:

12. From one newbie to Hi-Points to another, great story! Love my C9 too and it's so accurate. Glad you ignored the gun snob.

13. wmwid

wmwid Member

I like what you've done with it sarahsmom! I have a grip mod in mind for the future ... just a matter of time :)

14. histed

histed Supporting Member

wmwid - if you have a Wally World nearby, they often have sales, especially on "off" brands. But, yeah, find out what it likes than keep a good supply close to hand.

15. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Glad your C9 is running strong for you OP! I have two of those, and they both run great. Oh, the "junior" at the gun store? Probably got most of his "gun knowledge" from Call Of Duty. :rolleyes:

16. wmwid

wmwid Member

Definitely sounds like I need to feed her a few different things and see what she likes. I fed her some remington UMC ammo and a few winchester hollow points today just to see what they felt like. I'm assuming it will take a while to see what she likes?

17. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

typically you find out during breakin what it doesn't like. my hi point gave me some issues during break in. 10 or so. after that i haven't found one that it won't eat. remington center fire ammo has been less than successful in a number of firearms for me. same with winchester white box.....the federal aluminum, perfecta, and american eagle as well as blazer brass and geco have worked flawless

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

Dude...you do know that

A- WWB "NATO" 124 grain is actually too slow for NATO, at about 1130-1180 fps.

B- WWB "NATO" 124 grain is not even +P.

C- Despite what you read on the 'net...typical M882 NATO 124 grain 9 mm ammo runs about 1260 fps and 27,000 PSI. That's normal 9 mm.

D- you are paying over $15 a box for basic 9 mm ammo with a fake NATO name on it.;)

19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Leave him alone it makes him happy :-D

20. Just bought 100RD "Federal Bulk Pack" at walmart for $25.00
    cheaper than WWB. First time i ever saw federal bulk in anything but 22LR
    But it is packed the same way Just 100rds dumped in a box hah