Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a stress test done 2 days ago. Just for a yearly physical. Because I had risk factors,. Getting older, diabetic, and overweight. I just found out that I had a heart attack. Not recently, but a long time ago. There is a section of my heart that is dead, scar tissue with no blood flow. I now have to add a cardiologist to the list of doctors I see regularly, family doctor, foot doctor, diabetes doctor, and now a heart doctor.

I was told it was nothing to worry about. That's good, but my question is just how in hell do you have a heart attack and don't know about it? The only thing I can think of is back in 2019 I hurt my leg which caused a trauma induced blood clot from the atrophy. The clot broke away and travelled to my lung causing a Pulmonary Embolism. Could a piece of that clot have travelled to my heart? The pain of a heart attack masked by the pain of the PE? But would not the tests they ran trying to find the problem have identified both the PE and the heart attack?

Just wanted to talk about it, plus I am actually drawing strength from @Rachgier . Haven't he had about 20 or so heart attacks? Just kidding Rach, but knowing how mean and ornery you are and are still among the living does give me strength!

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I now have to add a cardiologist to the list of doctors I see regularly, family doctor, foot doctor, diabetes doctor, and now a heart doctor.
Bummer!
Sorry to see hear that. Wish you all the best and hope you can cross the cardiologist off your list of doctors!

Reactions: greg_r

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
I was told it was nothing to worry about. That's good, but my question is just how in hell do you have a heart attack and don't know about it?
"Silent Heart Attacks" are actually pretty common. Turns out that tons of people have had heart attacks and not had any significant symptoms. Some sources say that something like 20% of all heart attacks are "silent."

Peace favor your your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Keystone and greg_r

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
@greg_r actually? All of my MI's (Myocardial Infarction) were considered "Widowmakers". I shouldn't have felt any of them, but I did. Every single time.

And yes, it is possible that a piece of your clot broke off and was small enough that a larger chunk caused the PE but the smaller one was completely undetected at the time. The clot busting meds they gave you would have broken up the smaller clot and your blood work would have looked the same. They tested you for elevated troponin levels and they came back elevated because you had a rather large PE and that caused ischemia in your right ventricle. They treated the PE while monitoring for MI's, because the treatments are identical. Pain meds, anticoagulants, nitro, and a possible angioplasty with or without stent placement.

Reactions: greg_r

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@greg_r actually? All of my MI's (Myocardial Infarction) were considered "Widowmakers". I shouldn't have felt any of them, but I did. Every single time.

And yes, it is possible that a piece of your clot broke off and was small enough that a larger chunk caused the PE but the smaller one was completely undetected at the time. The clot busting meds they gave you would have broken up the smaller clot and your blood work would have looked the same. They tested you for elevated troponin levels and they came back elevated because you had a rather large PE and that caused ischemia in your right ventricle. They treated the PE while monitoring for MI's, because the treatments are identical. Pain meds, anticoagulants, nitro, and a possible angioplasty with or without stent placement.
Thanks. I kind of think that's what happened.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
"Silent Heart Attacks" are actually pretty common. Turns out that tons of people have had heart attacks and not had any significant symptoms. Some sources say that something like 20% of all heart attacks are "silent."
As above.......
Had a physical 10 years ago which included an EKG. Tech asked me, "When did you have a heart attack?"
Me in near shock, "Whaaaat!!!"
Doctor said not to worry about it. So I didn't.
Hope that's the case for greg_r !

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As above.......
Had a physical 10 years ago which included an EKG. Tech asked me, "When did you have a heart attack?"
Me in near shock, "Whaaaat!!!"
Doctor said not to worry about it. So I didn't.
Hope that's the case for greg_r !
I have had a lot of EKG's because of my history of SVT. I wondered why it has not shown up. Because my heart beat is normal the doc says. It took the before and after pictures of the stress test to show the scar tissue.

Reactions: moona11

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
I have had a lot of EKG's because of my history of SVT. I wondered why it has not shown up. Because my heart beat is normal the doc says. It took the before and after pictures of the stress test to show the scar tissue.
Because the damage is so minimal that it won't show up on a regular test. As many as I've had, I'm still above 95% functionality.

Reactions: Keystone

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And I'm up to 9, for the record. 9 MI's, 3 angioplasties with 2 stents, and 2 clinical deaths while on the table.
I have had 7 cath's if memory serves. both through the groin and wrist. The last one was through the neck when they did the ablation which effectively stopped the SVT. No stints. Mostly to look at the holes in my heart. The ablation was 13 burns to plug those holes. That was a decade ago.

also had as many doses of some type of medicine that stops your heart and it restarts at a normal speed. That's some scary medicine. They did the ablation after the medicine quit working. Said my body had gotten used to it and it was not effective to treat the SVT anymore.

I thought my heart was strong though. That's what all the doctors said. I think Rach's explanation holds merit. I will ask the cardiologist when they set up my visit with him.

Reactions: moona11

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Because the damage is so minimal that it won't show up on a regular test. As many as I've had, I'm still above 95% functionality.
That makes me feel even better! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
And I'm up to 9, for the record. 9 MI's, 3 angioplasties with 2 stents, and 2 clinical deaths while on the table.
And a partridge in a pear tree...

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And a partridge in a pear tree...
We are all out of partridges in pear trees. We do, however, have chickens in palm trees.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
I have had 7 cath's if memory serves. both through the groin and wrist. The last one was through the neck when they did the ablation which effectively stopped the SVT. No stints. Mostly to look at the holes in my heart. The ablation was 13 burns to plug those holes. That was a decade ago.

also had as many doses of some type of medicine that stops your heart and it restarts at a normal speed. That's some scary medicine. They did the ablation after the medicine quit working. Said my body had gotten used to it and it was not effective to treat the SVT anymore.

I thought my heart was strong though. That's what all the doctors said. I think Rach's explanation holds merit. I will ask the cardiologist when they set up my visit with him.
My last one was bad. Both wrists and my groin with 2 cardiologists working and a cardiothoracic surgeon scrubbed in. My original stent clotted over and the couldn't get the new one in without the second cath. If they weren't able to get the stent placed, they were prepared to crack my chest. I kept waking up for that one. They had to get permission to administer what would normally be considered an overdose of fentanyl, because I kept trying to sit up and watch the monitors. Despite the fact that I had enough fentanyl and other sedatives on board that they expected me to need to spend another day in the ICU. I woke up 30 minutes after they were done, got dressed, and called my ride.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Had a stress test done 2 days ago. Just for a yearly physical. Because I had risk factors,. Getting older, diabetic, and overweight. I just found out that I had a heart attack. Not recently, but a long time ago. There is a section of my heart that is dead, scar tissue with no blood flow. I now have to add a cardiologist to the list of doctors I see regularly, family doctor, foot doctor, diabetes doctor, and now a heart doctor.

I was told it was nothing to worry about. That's good, but my question is just how in hell do you have a heart attack and don't know about it? The only thing I can think of is back in 2019 I hurt my leg which caused a trauma induced blood clot from the atrophy. The clot broke away and travelled to my lung causing a Pulmonary Embolism. Could a piece of that clot have travelled to my heart? The pain of a heart attack masked by the pain of the PE? But would not the tests they ran trying to find the problem have identified both the PE and the heart attack?

Just wanted to talk about it, plus I am actually drawing strength from @Rachgier . Haven't he had about 20 or so heart attacks? Just kidding Rach, but knowing how mean and ornery you are and are still among the living does give me strength!
Jesus are you trying to give me that gun sooner rather than later. I'd prefer you alive.

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jesus are you trying to give me that gun sooner rather than later. I'd prefer you alive.
I think I will keep it a little while longer.

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
What hospital was this at?
Be good to know.
Parkview in Pueblo, Colorado. As soon as they caught me up and walking, I was read the riot act, called a dumbass, and sent back to bed. At which point in time all the people involved in my angioplasty flooded my room and regaled me with all the shit I had pulled during the procedure.

I have bad reactions to anesthesia, so they tried fentanyl this time. I tend to come up angry and swinging. A larger individual, such as myself, in a drug induced fog and pain rage aren't the safest thing ever.

When I had my tonsils and adenoids removed, ear drum replaced, and pulverized mastoid bone that had become infected removed from my skull; unconscious me decided to start a brawl by ripping out my breathing tube and trying to throw it at a nurse. Then I fought them when they tried to put it back in and sent two nurses, an orderly, and a security guard to the ER. I ended up strapped down with a separated shoulder because they had to pin my arms behind me and strap me down. They re intubated me and I gagged it out using my throat muscles. They were going to try again when my surgeon walked in and explained that if I had done all that damage and removed my own tube, I was obviously breathing just fine without the machine.

I was unconscious the whole time. I heard it. I felt the pain. I remember it all like I was doing it. But I wasn't in control. As far as I can remember, my eyes were closed because I never saw anything.

The man in the box came out to play while Bob was away.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Parkview in Pueblo, Colorado. As soon as they caught me up and walking, I was read the riot act, called a dumbass, and sent back to bed. At which point in time all the people involved in my angioplasty flooded my room and regaled me with all the shit I had pulled during the procedure.

I have bad reactions to anesthesia, so they tried fentanyl this time. I tend to come up angry and swinging. A larger individual, such as myself, in a drug induced fog and pain rage aren't the safest thing ever.

When I had my tonsils and adenoids removed, ear drum replaced, and pulverized mastoid bone that had become infected removed from my skull; unconscious me decided to start a brawl by ripping out my breathing tube and trying to throw it at a nurse. Then I fought them when they tried to put it back in and sent two nurses, an orderly, and a security guard to the ER. I ended up strapped down with a separated shoulder because they had to pin my arms behind me and strap me down. They re intubated me and I gagged it out using my throat muscles. They were going to try again when my surgeon walked in and explained that if I had done all that damage and removed my own tube, I was obviously breathing just fine without the machine.

I was unconscious the whole time. I heard it. I felt the pain. I remember it all like I was doing it. But I wasn't in control. As far as I can remember, my eyes were closed because I never saw anything.

The man in the box came out to play while Bob was away.
Had a similar experience when I came out of stomach surgery. My records state that when I was waking up from the anesthesia that I was "in great pain, violent, and combative". They had to sedate me. I don't remember any of it though. My next memory was being in my hospital room.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts