Just joined the carbine club.

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Need4speed, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Need4speed

Need4speed Member

The wife let me buy my own b-day present this year. Got me the 4595 carbine. Got a change to shoot it a few weekends ago. Very fun. Next to nothing for recoil and noise. Very accurate, at 25 yards I was shooting the same groups as my kids shooting the AK and SKS.

Thinking about using this bad boy for deer hunting season in the fall. I will be hunting with a group of guys in an area mostly flat with a few rolling hills, would be nice to shoot a round that I don't have to worry about it going too far in the open, so a 45ACP would be perfect for that. Looking at shots of between 50-100 yards.

So....I have a few boxes of Underwood 255GR hard cast flat nose ammo. It's split between 45 ACP +P and 45 Super. I know it would not be a good idea feeding this thing a steady diet of 45 Super, but I'm thinking that a few rounds of this stuff here and there......

Anybody been shooting 45 Super out of their carbine??

2. Congrats on the new carbine and happy birthday. I really enjoy my 9mm carbine I wouldn't trade it for anything, I want to but a 45 carbine this summer.

3. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    I gotta say that I do not think I would take a 100 yard shot on a deer with a 45 acp or a 45 super. It's just not enough power for a ethical kill on a deer at that range.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Since the .45 Super is rated at 28,000 psi, and .40 S&W is 35,000 psi, and the 4595 and 4095 are the same actions...I see no issues at all.

But I'm not a gunsmith, scientist, or lawyer...you break it, don't come crying to me!:p

Sure it is. It's nearly identical to 10 mm or .357 mag ballistics in the heavier weights, which are both considered a pistol hunting round. Now put that through a 16 inch barrel...it will work great.;)

Edit...I'm talking the.45 Super here...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  5. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Welcome to the club!!

What is next for the 4595, a .460 Rowland conversion?

6. Need4speed

Need4speed Member

I already have a 460 Rowland, in the Glock 30 flavor. A lot of snap to it, would be more fun to shoot out of a carbine.

The 255gr/45 Super from Underwood is rated at 1075fps/654, the same slug in the Rowland is 1300/957. I can already see the jerky in the smoker.

7. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Send it off to rowland for conversion and a brake installed!! Fun, fun!

Do you reload it? Any issues?

8. Need4speed

Need4speed Member

Don't reload, stuck paying about a buck a round for underwood. Georgia arms makes Rowland ammo too, that's a little more affordable. Needless to say, I don't squeeze off too many rounds of that stuff for what it costs.

I wonder if Rowland would do that for me. That would be sweet.

9. I would bet 45 super would be fine for the few sight in. And deer shooting rounds you would go through.
    Remember it's all your discretion
    But I do remember duster had a big thread on shooting 45 super from his JHP. He had a lot of do and do not suggestions.