Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here in Louisiana. Can't wait! I haven't purchased a pistol yet. Anyone have any good suggestions for a good CC pistol? Hopefully something not too expensive either. And don't mention a Ruger LCP, I can't find these suckers anywhere!

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
A "good cc pistol" should have the following qualities:
1: absolutely reliable
2: small/light enough you will actually carry it
3: accurate enough you can hit what you are aiming at
4: large enough caliber it will get the job done
5 it "fits" you so you can shoot well with it

Taking your personal preferences out of it (2&5) you are left with criteria that cover probably 90% of the handguns out there. Most people consider the .380/.38 special/9mm Para/9mm MAK power range as the minimum to get the job done assuming a center torso hit. Accuracy and reliabilty are an individual trait of each firearm ever made, you can get a gem or a lemon from every maker out there.

I have my own preferences and so will everybody else. Find a range that rents handguns and try them out for feel. The ones that seem like a good fit should be rented and fired on the range. Choose what you like and can afford.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
forget the LCP, Get the gun that the design was stolen from The keltec P3AT. 1oz lighter and 100 bucks cheaper as well. the rugers LCp according to my gun guy was rushed into mass prduction too fast, thus the recall. plus the kel tec has a lifetime warranty. I am buying one next week.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
+1 on Slimshady. You can have what you thought your dream gun was, only to find out you're not interested in lugging it around if it's too big/heavy/uncomfortable to wear/etc. You may want to realistically consider the best way for YOU to carry...if you've got an active job requiring a lot of reaching and stretching, for example, carrying IWB might end up being exposed.

Once you have an idea of how you'd like to carry, and with Slimshady's list of criteria, you'll probably have a much shorter list.

I went through this moving from a PT-145 to a P11, to a PF-9, and finally for every day, the elusive LCP (which...not 100% sure on this and would appreciate any additional info...I believe was recalled for a problem which could also be encountered in a P3AT, they just chose to recall while Kel-Tec hasn't).

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Glock 30 or 36 in 45ACP or a Springfield XD40 Subcompact. These are the best pistols for the money.

The thing is about 45cal is that FMJ becomes a SD round. I carry a Springfield XD45 but some would find it too large though i can stay in the black at 50 feet with only about a four inch group on a good day. 25 feet just proved too easy with that cannon.

Seriously find a way to rent several models at a range and try them out. Fit and feel are important. Stay with the 45ACP round if at all possible and if not only fall back to 40SW.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Pistols I'd recommend:

Kel-Tec P3AT (.380 ACP)
Kel-Tec PF9 (9x19mm)
Glock 19 (9x19mm)
Glock 36 (.45 ACP)
FEG PA-63 (9x18mm)

I prefer to carry a full size pistol myself (My normal CCWs are Glock 17, Springfield 1911, Ruger P345) but in cases where I have to wear a tighter shirt or dress nicer I carry my PA-63 or P3AT for concealability.

Your preferences may vary, overall just get a pistol you are comfortable with and can hit with.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Just curious... Why haven't I heard any Hi-Point suggestions? Are Hi-Points not prime material for CCW since they're bigger than they have to be due to the direct-blowback system?

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The thing is about 45cal is that FMJ becomes a SD round.
Uhh no!!!! You should never use FMJ or ball in a SD weapon. You want a round that is going to penatrate and stop. Say your at a gas station. you shoot bad guy, and bullet kills bad guy, but passes through and hits little susie standing in front of the slurpee machine. You are justified in killing bad guy, your not going to jail, but little susies parents are going to sue you out of existence. They will win too. You are responsible for callateral damage. You do not want to take that chance. What is a bullet worth???? Possibly millions of dollars. the chance of this scenario might be slim, but it is on hell of a gamble just to save a few dollars on ammo.
Just curious... Why haven't I heard any Hi-Point suggestions? Are Hi-Points not prime material for CCW since they're bigger than they have to be due to the direct-blowback system?
Size and weight become the big factors here. It is harder to conceal a full frame pistol, without "printing".Weight is a big deal. Carrying concealed will wear you out. Lightweight is the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts