Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meh. 4-5 out of 10. the premise was good, the acting above average, technical portrayal totally screwed up. i mean ive done some EOD work in the past (before teh days of robots, blast suits and fancy gear) and the protrayal of the "cowboy" mentatlity just doesnt fly in teh EOD world. everything is carefully done and handled with the utmost professionalism. i realize this isnt a good way to lay it out for a movie but for anyone thats had anything to do with explosives or EOD work it totally spoiled the film. for the average joe blow its probably fine.

now that said, the sniping scene in the middle of the movie where they are helping the brits is probably the best portrayal of combat sniping ive ever seen in a movie, bar none.

SW

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I saw it a couple of months back online. I really enjoyed it. I can see what you're saying with the whole live-fast-die-young attitude James had. At least it ended up costing something in the end; I think that was an important point. He got his man injured and James himself can't function outside of the military.

In all, I liked it for its portrayal of the grittiness and confusion of the war over there. Up there with Jarhead and The Kingdom as my sandbox favorites.

-'b

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the biggest thing with the sniper scene is they show several real world things that movies usually dont show. firstly, most shots at 850 meters missed. out of i think abotu a dozen rounds fired, only three were hits. also things like heat shimmer in the scope, blood on the ammo causing jams, sweat running in you eyes and things like that.

SW

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
The Kingdom is probably 1000 times better than Jarhead, that movie was a waste of time.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
could not stand jarhead. did anyone watch the series generation kill? that was one of the best portrayals of the military i have seen in awhile. especially the friggin officers!

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
The thing I liked about Jarhead wasn't the action (duh... there wasn't any) but the portrayal of the downtime and the frustration of there not being anything to do. Then you finally get your shot to get a verified kill and some REMF A-hole comes and mucks it up.

The scene with the .50 in Locker was just so other-worldly. You could feel the tension while they're trying to take out the bad guys and missing. And when it's all over, they pull out capri-sun juice packets. Insane.

-'b

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
The Kingdom is probably 1000 times better than Jarhead, that movie was a waste of time.
they aren't really comparable. they are both movies about war in the middle east, but thats pretty much where the similarities end. one is a personal story about one soldier, the other is a conspiracy type action film. there is almost no action in jarhead, which is part of the point of the film. in my opinion, jarhead was better written, better acted, and much more realistic (though i have little to go on from personal experience. but when Jamie foxx is taking cover behind a car door from AK-47 fire, i laughed out loud)

anyway, its not a good comparison, but i liked jarhead better.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I'll give it a 6 outta 10, but my rating scale is pretty lenient, for one I didn't try to slit my wrist with a popcorn kernel (Titanic = -1) nor did I give the person beside/in front of/behind me a concussion from laughing, jumping, punching at 3-D thingies flying at me, or screaming out expletives in a fit of joy.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
I'll give it a 6 outta 10, but my rating scale is pretty lenient, for one I didn't try to slit my wrist with a popcorn kernel (Titanic = -1) nor did I give the person beside/in front of/behind me a concussion from laughing, jumping, punching at 3-D thingies flying at me, or screaming out expletives in a fit of joy.
i should see a movie with you sometime. sounds like you resemble Kramer in a theater

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
they aren't really comparable. they are both movies about war in the middle east, but thats pretty much where the similarities end. one is a personal story about one soldier, the other is a conspiracy type action film. there is almost no action in jarhead, which is part of the point of the film. in my opinion, jarhead was better written, better acted, and much more realistic (though i have little to go on from personal experience. but when Jamie foxx is taking cover behind a car door from AK-47 fire, i laughed out loud)

To me Jarhead is anti military drivel so I don't like it.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts

To me Jarhead is anti military drivel so I don't like it.
well i'm not military so i don't have the same perspective as you. to me, it was anti-military so much as it was the frustration of a man trained to do something and then not allowed to do it for a multitude of reasons. i don't know, you and i are definitely gonna have different view fo sho.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
the whole time period for Desert Shield was just like Jarhead, after the Cav went over the berm all hell broke loose and it was very exciting, but the 3 month wait was excruciating...PT in MOPP gear was torture, that is a fact and the hydrating portion was correct, i peed so much it hurt! trying to keep entertained was semi fun we did have scorpion fights and tried to find kangaroo rats and camel spiders. yeah!

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Yeah MOPP gear still sucks...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
bro i got 4 2008 suits out in the garage and i cringe every time i see them. we use to strip down to nothing and then put them on, took them off and came out like..........i don't want to offend.....but quite black from the charcoal!!! took weeks to get that crap out of your skin. shudder :cantlook:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.