Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hard drive thingy inside started making this weird clicking noise, then just shut down. A quick search on Google with my home PC, and apparently this is common. Something to do with the massive heat the video card creates. When the fan on it kicks on it blows the heat onto the hard drive, then through the vents or something. I was playing a game so this makes sense. I called the Geeksquad people at the Best Buy I got it from, they told me to bring it in and they would give it a gander. Apparently, it's fried. And they don't carry this brand anymore(what they had left is all they would ever have) so they can't just exchange it. So they downgraded me to the next best thing.

Performance wise, it's better in every way but the video card...or so people have told me, I still don't know what any of that means. The video card on the Alienware is 2gigs dedicated? And this one has only 1gig dedicate.
This is the one they replaced it with (put $800 back into my mum's pocket, and installed the student shit for me too)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9375865&type=product&id=1218094582785

Now, that's great an all. My question is, will it play this game...
http://na.square-enix.com/remnant/pc.html

If you scroll about half way down it will show the specs, everything on my new lappy is better. BUT; at the "graphics" section, there is a *3 at the end. If you scroll down to the bottom, it starts talking about laptops. I don't know what any of that means.

Can I play it?

·
Registered
476 Posts
you have over double the re comended specs on that .. You should have no problem .. Heck you could even play world of warcraft with little lag at all ..

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heck you could even play world of warcraft with little lag at all ..
This piece of shit PC I have now plays that game just fine..I would never play that game though.

Good to know.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Masso,

The more memory is only an issue if you are using large or multiple monitors of 1920 x 1200 or larger with all the graphics settings set to maximum on very new games. You can always drop the resolution or graphics detail levels to get a better frame rate.

Yea, I built custom computers also. But my personal resources have been shifted back to firearms since late 2008. :grinwink:

Still build for friends though. Unlike computers most guns don't depreciate substantially in 6 months. :yes:

Walt

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
I dunno I think it depends on the computer, mine is awesome yet it can't play company of heroes for crap, it plays Crysis better... which is horrible considering the requirements for Crysis go through the roof...

http://games.ea.com/crysis/index.jsp

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
That laptop should run that game just fine. Laptops are fairly notorious for hard drive problems (I've replaced at least 30 that I can think of for customers of mine). The laptop you have now has a fairly slow hard drive (5400 RPM) but that is a good thing with laptops, especially if you are moving around a lot. I would still recommend getting a good high capacity flash drive or a USB hard drive to backup any important documents and such to on at least a monthly basis. I currently have 4 laptops and I've replaced the hard drive on 2 of the 4 (one of them is a SSD drive so I don't have to worry about that one :D)

I'd say the laptop that you have now should be fine for what you're going to be doing with it. If cooling becomes an issue with your laptop I can clean off and replace the thermal paste on the CPU and/or GPU. HP laptops are usually pretty easy to take apart. Most likely you won't have any issues with that one though.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I dunno I think it depends on the computer, mine is awesome yet it can't play company of heroes for crap, it plays Crysis better... which is horrible considering the requirements for Crysis go through the roof...

The question posed by Masso was what affect less video memory would have. All other things being equal or better. And that was my answer.

As far as your question.

Ah, Crysis. The newer version is highly configurable. Better frame rates for lesser systems. It knows what you got and scales accordingly. And the Video card company's have since written optimized drivers for Crysis to help also. They had to otherwise it was a total slide show at high graphic settings.

Don't know your system specs and have not played Company of Hero's. Would need to know your specs / game settings, OS, etc to give advice. However, it is both a graphics and strategy game. So it uses many more of your systems resources than a FPS.

Any system can work better if optimized correctly. I have older games coded for XP that ran half as fast on Vista. And were not recoded. So they run on an old XP system.

Walt

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Company of Heroes was a pretty crappy game IMO. I wouldn't say that you could really classify which games use more resources by the genre though. I mean, the AI used in strategy games is really not that different from FPS games that actually have AI and not just scripted movements, which basically any FPS in the last 5 years at least has some sort of AI. A lot of the newer racing games have a lot more physics and AI built into them than strategy games, but racing games generally have a lot less environment to render than FPS and such (other than the free roam type racing games such as Burnout Paradise, NFS Most Wanted, etc.).

Regardless though, PC gaming is very much one of those "catch the dragon" type scenarios where you can never quite get to the top. Even if you go out and spend $50,000 on a PC, the next week there will be something slightly better. The PC I'm using now is almost 2 years old and still holds up well against modern hardware, but some of the newest games I have a hard time holding a constant 60FPS on max settings. I don't do near as much PC gaming as I used to though for that reason. I like gaming on the PC better. IMO FPS was made for the PC, but it's much easier to spend $400 (well about $200 now) for a 360 that will keep playing new games for years and years than it is to spend $2500ish for a gaming desktop, then dumping another 2 or 3 hundred dollars per year into it after that to keep it up to date.

</hijack>

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This new laptop is awesome compared to the AW. It's faster, the screen is bigger(it's a windscreen) bigger keyboard, the battery last longer. And it doesn't heat up as much in my lap.

And so far, it hasn't crashed by me playing Oblivion. It don't look as good as the AW, but runs smoother. It's not all laggy when there are lot's of people around in the cities.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts

The question posed by Masso was what affect less video memory would have. All other things being equal or better. And that was my answer.

As far as your question.

Ah, Crysis. The newer version is highly configurable. Better frame rates for lesser systems. It knows what you got and scales accordingly. And the Video card company's have since written optimized drivers for Crysis to help also. They had to otherwise it was a total slide show at high graphic settings.

Don't know your system specs and have not played Company of Hero's. Would need to know your specs / game settings, OS, etc to give advice. However, it is both a graphics and strategy game. So it uses many more of your systems resources than a FPS.

Any system can work better if optimized correctly. I have older games coded for XP that ran half as fast on Vista. And were not recoded. So they run on an old XP system.

Walt
Intel Pentium quadcore 2.67 ghz per core, 4 gigs of ram, nvidia 8600 gt 512mb, vista 64 bit.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a demo to download on that link to be able to play the game, I downloaded the demo(2.4gigs) to see how it would run on my computer before I dropped the $20 on the game.

About half way through the install I get a message that says "1628: Failed To Complete Installation"

I Googled it, and it says there is already a setup.ixe or something running, and I had to CTR+ALT+Delete to find it and stop it. There is no other setup.exe things running, so I have no idea what any of this means. You guys have any idea?

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
If you go to control panel and click the users link like 934091230949012003210912034032 times, you'll get to the user manager screen and it'll show you the user accounts that are on the laptop. Find the one that you login with and it'll say beside the the type of user you are (generally either administrator or user). If you are an administrator that's good, if you're a user you'll have to install the demo as an administrator.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, it says I'm an admin(see, I got experience...I should be HPFF admin) It still won't let me run the demo though. I think I might just buy the damn game. Then make those Geeksquad assholes install it and make it worl.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
lol well that's one way to do it. Before you go out and buy the game you could try running Windows updates to get Vista up to SP2 (if it isn't already) and I'm sure there are more updates after that. MS patched their installer a while back and it may need updating before that game will install correctly. We've ran into a couple of problems at work that were solved by bumping Vista up to SP2.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just did that, there were 12 updates I had to download. And then it made me reset my computer, which sucked because I finally got motivated enough to write my essay. Now I don't even want to open my damn text book.

Still no go with the game. I'm not complaining yet though, I've been playing some SNES games via an emulator. Zelda > other games.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts