Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have had C-9's for almost 2 years now and have put close to 2k rounds through each of them including a 4 day course at Front Sight. I finally decided to write a review on them since every website review I've seen seemed to lack any balance of pro's and con's. I also figure completing a handgun course with one gives an added perspective. Anyway, I just wanted to share it with the group here.

http://sites.google.com/site/inbox485/Home/firearms/hi-point-c-9

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i get ole Rons newsletters, how is that frontsite training?
Front Sight was great. I got two of the eBay certificates for about $90 each (they are going for a few hundred since the administration took office). My run down of the place is pretty much as follows:
- I would never consider paying full price for a training class. They are almost double what other schools charge. Buy an eBay cert to try it out, and if you have the time and money for training, get a membership. Right now, they have a membership that is about $500 less than a single 4 day course. I have neither cash nor time to spare right now, but I'd go for it if I did.

http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight.com/firearms65

- I haven't been to other schools, but I've watched about every video I can get my hands on, and while some of them also looked good, none of them have anything on Front Sight's training methods. The teaching methods they use are supportive and comforting to beginners while still benefiting long time experienced shooters. Unlike every other place I've seen, the attendance at Front Sight was about 40% female. Probably one of the best things about Front Sight was the consistency and repetition of the range commands. Nobody ever felt lost as to what was going on.
- For all the hype about the high pressure sales BS, the closest thing to a sales pitch was playing a promotional DVD and a brief Q&A session during lunch where you weren't even required to be in the room. To anybody who considers that high pressure, stay at home and unload your guns!
- Unlike a lot of other schools who would discourage or even prohibit Hi-Points, Front Sight welcomes any gun that functions safely and actually recommended we stick with our Hi-Points instead of renting one from them simply because they wanted us to train with what we would have at home. The only semi negative thing one of the instructors said was that he had never seen one make it to the end of the course until ours. He said either a spring or the extractor gives out. When I got home and disassembled mine for deep cleaning, the extractor looked good, but the recoil and firing pin springs looked like hell. They still work though. And in all fairness, they say about 10% of firearms fail during the 4 day courses. The four day courses are tough on any gun due to the high round count (800 in 4 days) and the desert environment. I'll take pictures if I get a chance, but I have marks on the inside of my slide where grit was eating into it.
- I only had a few issues with the C-9s during the training. I had a type 3 that of course had to be during a shoot house drill. That is the only malfunction I've had since polishing the internals when I first got the guns. I also had the rear site get wacked it somehow so I was shooting low during the single elimination shoot off (I hit the hostage in the shoulder and was disqualified) and the final evaluation (a lot of my head shoots were neck hits, and a lot of my COTC shoots were gut hits). So I have a new found distaste for adjustable sights, and would love to find fixed sights for my C-9. And the firing pin on my wife's C-9 has what look like tree rings from sloppy lathe work the make the trigger feel gritty. Up until the training she didn't have the sensitivity to notice it, but she does now.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
dang I wanted to read the review but my stupid firewall at work only let me read the first page. I am seriously considering getting a c-9 again.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
great review and thanks for the run-down of front-sight. i doubt i will ever make it out there, but its nice to hear good things about them from someone who has actually ever been there. i'm glad to hear someone say that they are not crooks

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know much about how the adjustable site is constructed, do you think it could be made fixed with epoxy?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know much about how the adjustable site is constructed, do you think it could be made fixed with epoxy?
I hadn't put much thought into it, but epoxy sounds like a great idea. I'll try it if I get a chance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts