Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally it came. I ordered a mid-grade RC K98 from SOG ($249) and was pleasantly suprised at what I got. A nice 1942 byf flat plate lammie stocked rifle. The bolt had been painted black, but the rest of it is nice. Dual eagles with "markings"; not peened. It's a total mismatch tho, which was to be expected. Bore is a tad pitted but the rifling is very strong. The pitting might be old carbon tho and hopefully it'll clean up after an afternoon of booming thru it.
Stock is good, no cracks but plenty of personality.
Some concerns tho; The bolt is a bit gritty and not as smooth and graceful as my M24/47's. Also, the floorplate hangs the bolt up when empty, another thing I don't see on my Yugo's. Any idea what this might be caused by or is it just the nature of the K98 beast?

Also, I ordered a good amount of ammo. 900 rounds of Yugo 8mm which is from 12/1953 and is immaculate. Now the kicker: I thought I ordered 880 rnds of Bulgarian 54r but what I got was RUSSIAN!!! 8) 8) ^-^ ^-^ According to 7.62x54R.net, The headstamp reads as 60 over 84 which means its made in Lugansk/Frunze in 1984. LPS is light steel core 147 gr. brass cased heaven....Oh, and I only paid $145 for 880 rnds....in a few days, the M/N sniper comes in...oh, this is gonna be a good summer......

The Mauser is torn down and is getting a DA bath and scrub, then BLO. I'll post pics when done.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The floor plate hanging the bolt is normal. That let them know for sure it was empty. I have another mauser that someone ground a slight ramp to prevent it.

As for the gritty bolt, when I bought mine, it was a tad 'gritty', and painted as well. I polished it back down to the white, re-blue'd, and polished some more. Smooth as glass now.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. After getting the paint off the bolt and giving the chamber and bore a good cleaning, the grit has all but vanished.
Here it is after a good heating, cosmo wipe-off, DA scrub, and two coats of BLO.

And a pic of the Russian 7.62 ammo! W00T!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.