keeping my magazine loaded?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by boomer92266, Mar 7, 2008.

1. boomer92266

boomer92266 Member

i am new to hi point, and need to know if it weakins the mag springs if you keep it loaded all the time. i have a c9 and love it,it shoots great i'm on a fixed income so i could'nt afford a higher priced gun. after i got my hp i found i didn't need a higher priced gun, the high point shoots great even hollow points right off i love it. i use remington 115 grain hollow points in the green box from wal-mart $23.96 +tax for 100 rounds, this will be my home defense gun so i needed to know if i can keep it loaded in the mag so it will be ready if i need it.

2. unclerob

unclerob Member

3. Grassafrass

Grassafrass Guest

Keep it Loaded

I keep mine (mags) loaded at all times, and it seems to cause no harm to the spring.
    When you first get new mags, I've read it's actually good to keep them loaded... breaks in the springs apparently.

I say keep it loaded!
    If it does (eventually over a long, long time) ruin the spring, Hi-Point will replace the magazine... but how are you gonna defend yourself with an automatic handgun, and empty magazines?

4. boomer92266

boomer92266 Member

hey guys thanks for the quick response, i am glad to hear that it won't hurt my mags cause i need it loaded for self defense at home. i used to be a revolver fan but after shooting the hi point c9 i am now a auto fan as well,by the way i'm thinking of a bigger gun and can only afford one now which one to get the 40hp or 45.

5. Ari

Ari Guest

This is the question that has been asked more then a few times here.. The people that make springs wolff springs have something to say on the topic. Tale a look what they say

"5. Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds? How often should I change magazine springs?

Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and the subject of much debate and concern. Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as law enforcement applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs which are loaded up only when shooting. Magazine design and capacity also affect the longevity of the spring. Older designs where maximum capacity was not the goal such as the 7 round 1911 Colt magazines will last for years fully loaded. There was a lot of room for a lot of spring which reduced the overall stress on the spring. In recent hi-capacity magazines, the magazines were designed to hold more rounds with less spring material. This puts more stress on the spring and will cause fatigue at a faster rate. Unloading these magazines a round or two will help the life of the spring. Rotating fully loaded magazines will also help the problem somewhat but is not always practical. In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provide maximum life. Regular shooting will verify reliability and regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs. "

6. I rotate my mags every month at the beginning of the month... that doesn't mean that they won't get used and worn; it just means that their life will be prolonged. :)

7. does hipoint have anything to say about this?

8. 5kknives

5kknives Member

SE WI
    FWIW, this topic came up recently on another Forum.

The immediate answer from a couple of metallurgists and Mechanical engineers was that EXERCISING and FLEXING springs weakens them, not compressing them.

Surprising answer was that fully compressed was no more wear than fully decompressed.

Doesn't seem right intuitvely but I've heard that answer more than once, from people who should know.

I do know that I've had fully loaded 1911 magazines stored for as long as 9 years and when they were used they performed flawlessly.

Would be good to know if Hi-Point had any comments on the subject.

Regards,
    :)

9. elguapo

elguapo Guest

I keep a goodly number of 1911 magazines loaded, plus all 3 for my JHP. For my AR? I have 6 that are loaded, ready to go. The SKS relys on stripper clips,so thats not an issue (And no, I dont have it loaded all the time now)
    I just purchased a C9 recently, and have yet to do my method to it: I only have the factory mag. My plan, is to get more factory C9 ten rounders, have them loaded, and go from there.

10. I keep all my semiautomatic magazines loaded.

11. Kagern

Kagern Guest

Ask a mechanical engineer, and they'll tell you that a spring doesn't suffer any ill effects from being held in compression up to its design strength. And BTW, if anyone says something about 'creep', ask them why they are storing their magazines above 600 degrees F, because creep doesn't happen in steel until around those kinds of temps. It DOES happen in other materials at room temp (or lower), but nothing you're going to find in a gun.

I have read some stuff about M9 magazines that had been left loaded for long periods in military and police environments having lots of second round FTFs. However, this normally has nothing to do with the mag spring. With all the vibration and banging around as they are carried, the bullets bounce around in the mag and actually get grooves in the brass where they touch the magazine lips. The answer there is to just rotate the rounds in the magazine every few months.