Keeping wood factory grips on older handguns

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Browning 9 Guy, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

i do because I like their looks in most cases. My 1994 Taurus model 82 wears the original factory Walnut. They add to the iconic M&P appearance imo. Accuracy is a challenge but it's manageable. My North American Arms 22 LR (2002) still has the Rosewood grips that I'll never replace. Does anyone have an older handgun with wooden grips?

2. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Would love to find an affordable set of factory large wood grips for a S&W 'N' frame.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I don't have any older guns with wood grips, but if I did, I would keep the wood on them unless I needed some better ergonomics, or just wanted to preserve the wood for a high use gun.

4. rickm

rickm Member

Wood is what makes a gun look good i dont like all the plastic on a gun if i can help it. I have several pistols with wood grip and several rifles with wood stocks they will keep them as they are unless something happens and have to be changed out and i cant find anything else to replace them with.
    I have 1 nickle plated pistol with real mother of pearl grips i would like to find a set of wood grips for it just so i can preserve the pearl grip when i ever decide to shot the thing.

Hmmm i seen a nice set of N frame grips somewhere for sale but cant remember where, if i see them again will let you know, and yes they will have to be cheap or at a below average price.

5. tomtull

tomtull Member

Here's some antique lumber ;¬][​IMG]

6. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Thanks, would appreciate that!

7. My best wood! I will always prefer wood over plastic/rubber.

Attached Files:

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

My oldest Nagant.

Attached Files:

9. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

98 year old wood.

[​IMG]

With a little mystery.

[​IMG]

10. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Italian wood via Israel.

[​IMG]

11. My Browning wood: Hi-Power, BDA-380, and Challenger II.

Attached Files:

12. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

I do prefer ladies when they prefer "Old Wood" on a pistol.:D
    Sorry, this went to far along about wood and all....someone had to do it.
    Back to the show!

13. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I have few plastic guns. Here is some 117 year old wood.

Attached Files:

14. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

This thread really makes me miss my Winchester 30/30 and Stevens Model 30...... (kicking self in posterior area)

15. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Thanks for all the replies and photos. Some are heartwarming, others gorgeous!

16. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Don't quit. Last I looked, theres one down at Frank's right now, very pre-65 winnys are out there. He's always got something. Not sure what that gun is now, 32 x something. Before that there was some old Marlin in there. Save your pennies. Save them like your life depended on it. Then enjoy the hunt. That's how I have to do it. I ain't rich.

I don't know squat about money. I don't think what you pay for a gun is important. To me that I have what I want is all I care about. Pukes on the Web can trash me all they want for what I paid. I'm out on the range shooting the gun, I'm in the shop loading a killer round.

I decided some time ago. I don't care about your gold plated rocking chair. I'll happily rock away in my pine built trash, shoveling dog food if necessary. At least I ain't saying, "Woulda, coulda, shoulda."