Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be 21 soon and I'm considering what handgun to begin carrying when I get my concealment permit. While I'm not super thrilled about striker-fire handguns, I'm not opposed to them either. In fact, the idea of carrying a Glock 26 or 27 with a corresponding full-size or compact mag as my EDC rig has been growing on me. Because money is a little tight and the license is going to cost me over $200 before I even factor in the cost of the weapon, extra mags, and traing ammo, I'm also considering the Kel Tec P11. I've read that the P11 can take 15 round S&W 59 magazines. I also know that 59 mags work in handguns of the 5900 series (as well as multiple other S&W series). Finally, I've read (with a little skeptism) that Beretta 92 series mags work well in 5900 series guns with a little modification. Since I currently own none of these firearms, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it's possible and reliable to use modified or even unmodified Beretta 92 mags in a Kel Tec P11 for a small, light, relatively inexpensive EDC rig with 26 rounds?

·
I Stand With Talon
6,459 Posts
It is all personal choice. I often carry my Glock 27 in the summer. It is easy to conceal and a great all around firearm; made even better by my installing an external safety.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I haven't ever fired a P11, only read some good things. I was a 15 round magazine as my reload mag. I pray I never have to fire my weapon in defense, but if I do, I hope the first round is enough. If not, I take comfort in the fact that there are 10 more rounds in the magazine and even more comfort in the fact that there will be 15 more in reserve.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
gasman42 said:
justifiedfan, you been watching Raylen? I digg your screen name. My fav show
See the episode he blasted the fight with bean bags out the shotty? I really need some less lethal rounds.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Being from the south I always heard about people shooting folks with rock salt.. For stealing their water melons and what not..
That rubber slug seems to hurt but I didn't see much knock down power, but one hell of a bruise

·
Gun Fanatic
830 Posts
My P11 has a heavy long DA only trigger pull and you may want consider a Glock 19 for a bit more or and M&P series (my preference). Not knocking the KT, it conceals very well but a PITA to practice with.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
GrOuNd_ZeRo said:
My P11 has a heavy long DA only trigger pull and you may want consider a Glock 19 for a bit more or and M&P series (my preference). Not knocking the KT, it conceals very well but a PITA to practice with.
If hes going to cc a 9mm glock, id go with the 26 over the 19. 10 rounds stock but mine has a +2 baseplate so its 12+1 and the baseplate gives your pinky somewhere to go.

For a budget He could also go with a smith and wesson sd series (not sigma!!!) the 9mm holds 16 and the 40 holds 14. They can get up to 21 or 18 respectively.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
My P11 bites pretty good too! Put on a hogue grip and put in a Northwood trigger. Now it's not so bad.
Yeah, I've heard it's not a very nice range toy, but that if I put hogue or hogue-like grips, it gets better. I imagine that the extra inch or so a full size magazine allows one to grip would help. I don't know where to find a grip attachment for a S&W 59 or Beretta 92 mag in a P11, but I thought I could take a strip of kydex and wrap it around the exposed part of the mag a couple times.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
justifiedfan, you been watching Raylen? I digg your screen name. My fav show
Yep, I've seen every episode. It's probably my favorite show tying with "Dallas" and narrowly beating out "NCIS" "The Walking Dead" and "The West Wing" (even though it's very liberal and I'm not).

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
They do make magazine extenders for P11... I have two. And your right, the P11 is not a range toy, but the addons do help a lot. I recently got a laserlyte laser for mine, says it will fit the PF9, but works great on the P11.
I saw a 30 round magazine for the P11... Imagine trying to conceal that?? LOL

·
Lead Slinger
231 Posts
I have a P-11.

The main draw to the P-11 is concealability. I run the 12-round factory mags in mine with one in the chamber giving me 13 rounds. I carry a spare 12-round mag for back-up.

I have the Northwood trigger in mine to make it a little friendlier to shoot. However, as already stated, these are not "range" guns. The long heavy trigger pull makes them unpleasant to shoot after about 30-40 rounds.

They are what they are. A reliable short-range self defense weapon that is lightweight and relatively easy to conceal.

If there is a marksmanship component to your CCW qualification, I would recommend borrowing an easier to shoot firearm in DA/SA. The learning curve as far as accuracy would be much shorter than with the P-11.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts