Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
28,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and bought the MC2sc as a replacement for my trusty, but venerable, P11. One of the big reasons is because the P11 is now discontinued. I was also looking forward to a better trigger and optics capability (my eyes are old enough to need corrective lenses now).

As you can see the Mossy is just a tad longer. I don't think it will make a difference in the holster. Despite the published width specs, where the P11 beats the Mossy, the grip width on the P11 is, in fact, just a little bit more. I'd have to put calipers on it to know how much but it is noticeable.

These are the upgrades I've done to the P11:
  • Twisted Industries FO sights
  • M*CARBO trigger spring kit and emery paper smoothing the trigger surfaces to a 5.5 lb trigger pull
  • RTK Short Stroke Trigger with pre/over-travel adjustments
  • "Innertube style" grip sleeve
Altogether, these upgrades do improve the comfort, accuracy, and shootability of the P11. But, despite being easier and more comfortable to shoot, I never could run the NRA Pistol Instructor qual with it. That's sort of my current "standard" for how well I can shoot a handgun.

I took both the P11 and the Mossy to the range together and, well, the Mossy will most certainly earn the replacement spot. While I couldn't quite run the Instructor qual with it, I was close. I think with practice (or the red dot) I'll be able to do so. And, yes, the trigger on the Mossy is also 5.5 lbs, like my P11. But it is a shorter and crisper Striker type trigger (think "glock" but better than a stock glock because the trigger face is wider and much more comfortable). Despite the trigger upgrades to my P11, it still has that long revolver-like DA trigger pull, even if it is lighter and smoother now.

The only place where the Mossy, and indeed any of the new crop of entries into the P11 size/capacity space, fails against the P11 is in capacity. The stock P11 mag is 10 rounds, matched by the stock MC2sc mag, but KT offers a 12-round flush fit mag as well (which is what I use). The extended MC2sc mag is 14 rounds, one shy of the S&W 15-round mag with the sleeve for the KT. So it's close here but the P11 just barely edges out the Mossberg (and pretty much all the new crop). But the S&W 15-round mag is significantly longer than the MC2sc 14-round mag; not that that is a big deal because I carry it as the on-belt reload.

Other than that, the MC2sc is an upgrade and is pretty close do what KT should have done years ago but didn't. On a related note, I have also shot the Sig P365 side-by-side with the P11 and had exactly the same impression. Between the MC2sc and the P365, I don't think I could find a razor's worth of difference in how the shoot or feel. As far as I could tell, they were basically identical.

I've also ordered the Taurus GX4 TORO (I'll explain if you force me to) but I expect to get exactly the same results as the above. I expect it to shoot and feel pretty much exactly like the MC2sc and the P365, but we'll see when it actually comes in.

Pics:
Trigger Gun accessory Air gun Gun barrel Wood

Air gun Trigger Wood Line Gun barrel

Automotive lighting Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior Font

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
9,699 Posts
Based on my experience with KelTec the greatest upgrade is that the Mossy likely works.

I just have no love for KelTec

At least my 22 magnum KelTec works most of the time. It’s still only a range toy though.

·
Administrator
28,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on my experience with KelTec the greatest upgrade is that the Mossy likely works.

I just have no love for KelTec

At least my 22 magnum KelTec works most of the time. It’s still only a range toy though.
I'm sorry that you haven't had a good experience with KT. FWIW, my P11 has been utterly reliable and, I guess, that's the important part.

I had 2 feed malfunctions with the Mossy in the very first magazine (using steel cased ammo) and after that it feed and fired everything perfectly.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Visper

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
My Keltec P32 is one of the most unleliable firearms I've owned. I sure wouldn't trust my life to it. I had a Grendel too that was worse. I know .32 acp is part of the problem, but personally I've been soured to Keltec. My SU16 wasn't terrible once I broke it in though.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,000 Posts
With some of these brands out there it really can be a crap shoot. I have had some friends and acquaintances that sweared by SCCY or Kahr for their carry pistols, said they worked flawlessly. While others I know won't even touch those brands.

Yes, I have heard some good and bad about KT, but Kirk got "lucky" I guess is the best word for it? I have shot the RFB from KelTec - I liked it - I have a another friend who owned one, he couldn't sell it fast enough - was a jam-o-matic.

Even Hi-Point can be a crap shoot when it comes to the C9 especially.

Back on topic, Kirk you did put a lot of work into that KT, but the Mossy still beats it, that is great to hear.

Wait till you get the red dot, will take some getting use to but practice is fun!!

Reactions: lklawson

·
Super Moderator
9,699 Posts
I have the PMR 30. It has actually been fun but it is finicky. I bought an upgrade kit for it that replaces a lot of the plastic with steel. I hope it makes it run better. Just need to do it. It’s hard to make time for a handgun you are only lukewarm about.

I bought it instead of the Ruger 57. Kind of a poor man’s 5.7. I was at the LGS yesterday. That Ruger 57 is still in the display case. I recon I really should put it on layaway.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,364 Posts
My P11 is totally reliable if you hold it tight. But is harsh on the hand. It is what it is. Some many better choices out there now. This gun is just tossed in a glove box or like now its my AZ gun. I leave it at the in laws so when I fly down its there waiting for me.

My PMR30 works great. But I also only use CCI in it. That was my mail truck gun. I carried 4 mags. I could pop some critters in the ditch or a BG if it was needed. And with the bang and fire ball that comes out if that didn't kill em. It was easy to put 30rds in a small spot fast.

·
Super Moderator
9,699 Posts
My P11 is totally reliable if you hold it tight. But is harsh on the hand. It is what it is. Some many better choices out there now. This gun is just tossed in a glove box or like now its my AZ gun. I leave it at the in laws so when I fly down its there waiting for me.

My PMR30 works great. But I also only use CCI in it. That was my mail truck gun. I carried 4 mags. I could pop some critters in the ditch or a BG if it was needed. And with the bang and fire ball that comes out if that didn't kill em. It was easy to put 30rds in a small spot fast.
My PMR30 works great with Fiocchi. Which is good because my LGS always has it and it is priced better than CCI. I had Federal and it choked on it. And I had some CCI made for self defense. It not only choked on it, but threw up as well. To be fair KT says to use 40 grain, IIRC, the CCI was 30 grain, but still- it hung up with almost every round. It has never failed with Fioochi.

Reactions: moona11
1 - 9 of 9 Posts