Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
28,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As is being reported several places, and being picked up on by forums across the universe... Kel Tec is finally giving out some details about a new gun. I'm guessing it is the "something way better" (than a striker-fired P11 upgrade) that George Kelgren talks about in his interview. It's a 15-round, striker fired, 9mm.

Two off-site links:

Obligatory pics (computer rendering):
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Notable points: KT has already discontinued the P11 and this indicates that they will also be discontinuing the PF9 and the P3AT, though the way the blog post is written, the PF9 statement is either a mistake or letting is slip early because the PF9 in not "already" discontinued. I think they meant the P11. But maybe not.

A 15-round "patent pending" magazine and a claim that it is the "lightest and thinnest of its kind." Judging by the pics, there's no way it's a size competitor for the P11 or the P365 and it's competitors.

At first I thought, "great. KT finally comes out with a competitor to the G19. Whooptidoo." But the more I like at it and the phrase "lightest and thinnest of its kind," the more I think it is intended as a competitor for the P365XL and the G43X, two very popular CC guns and, as far as I can tell, really the only competitors in that size/capacity class. The P365XL comes with stock 15-round mags and the G43X can take the 15-round Shield Arms mags. If this is, indeed, their target market (and they achieved a similar size), then KT may have a winner here after all. But we don't have any real dimensions to make comparisons against.

While it does seem to have an accessory rail, I don't see an optics cut. I think that's a mistake.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
36,332 Posts
"Also slated for retirement due to P15 innovation is the P3AT™. "
NOOOO!!!!!!!!
THAT'S A DIFFERENT CATEGORY OF GUN!!!!!
Tha's like Ford getting rid of the Fiesta line, because we DO make F150's, Mustangs and the Taurus after all.
And two years later, the Fiesta is back. Duh.

Grip safety? Really? THAT is how they got an "ambi" safety?

No way does that thing compete with the smaller "Micro" 9 mm 10-12 round guns in size. Kirk may be right, it might be closer to the 365XL size.....but the SIg 15 rounds sticks out a lot further than that drawing shows the P15 doing, so....is it a longer grip?

Should be interesting....assuming they actually produce enough to see any on shelves in my AO, and assuming they are actually not harsh shooters like the PF9, and assumiing they come in at $250 or so...

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,018 Posts
Looks like maybe the optics cut you don't see could be under this oddly shaped hood-like attachment hiding the dovetail of the rear sight? The screws on each side suggest maybe this cover comes off?

I poorly traced it but that's what it looks like to me, is this a standard KT "non-feature" on other guns?
Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Administrator
28,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like maybe the optics cut you don't see could be under this oddly shaped hood-like attachment hiding the dovetail of the rear sight? The screws on each side suggest maybe this cover comes off?

I poorly traced it but that's what it looks like to me, is this a standard KT "non-feature" on other guns?
It looks a bit like the PMR-30 and the p 17.

peace favor your sword (mobile)

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Registered
438 Posts
Should be interesting. KT has long been overdue for a 9mm.
If it comes with all the features & number of mags the P17 does at a decent price. It’ll be a bargain. One thing KT is very good at is making a lightweight pistol with a nice single action trigger pull. If that carries over to this, it’ll sell. I kept saying I was gonna grab a PF9 when they went out of production but never came across one, it’s light & thin with a nice trigger but not much fun as a range gun, later I found a good deal on a gen 1 Shield 9 and forgot about it. The p11s had heavy 10lb DAO triggers, not much fun, but a good reliable carry.

·
Premium Member
36,332 Posts
Should be interesting. KT has long been overdue for a 9mm.
If it comes with all the features & number of mags the P17 does at a decent price. It’ll be a bargain. One thing KT is very good at is making a lightweight pistol with a nice single action trigger pull. If that carries over to this, it’ll sell. I kept saying I was gonna grab a PF9 when they went out of production but never came across one, it’s light & thin with a nice trigger but not much fun as a range gun, later I found a good deal on a gen 1 Shield 9 and forgot about it. The p11s had heavy 10lb DAO triggers, not much fun, but a good reliable carry.
I have a P3AT, PF9 and a P11. I never shoot them. Instead, I carry the Taurus TCP, and/or a Sig P365. Nothing really takes the place of the PF9, because nothing is as thin as a PF9. But....nothing has to BE that thin, I’ll gladly add the 0.2 inches of width to get the more comfortable but shorter grip of a double stack.

At one point in time, the KelTec pistols offered things others didn’t, at prices they couldn’t match even if they copied the design....like Ruger did, or didn’t, do.

But the other folks got their prices down, they started offering things KelTec didn’t, and right now, there are a LOT of better options than the old KelTecs that are being phased out. Smart move, really.

So the question will be...how good is the P15, exactly where does it fit in the carry gun hierarchy, and what does it cost?

Reactions: moona11

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,345 Posts
I have a P3AT, PF9 and a P11. I never shoot them. Instead, I carry the Taurus TCP, and/or a Sig P365. Nothing really takes the place of the PF9, because nothing is as thin as a PF9. But....nothing has to BE that thin, I’ll gladly add the 0.2 inches of width to get the more comfortable but shorter grip of a double stack.

At one point in time, the KelTec pistols offered things others didn’t, at prices they couldn’t match even if they copied the design....like Ruger did, or didn’t, do.

But the other folks got their prices down, they started offering things KelTec didn’t, and right now, there are a LOT of better options than the old KelTecs that are being phased out. Smart move, really.

So the question will be...how good is the P15, exactly where does it fit in the carry gun hierarchy, and what does it cost?
My P11 is in AZ so I have one while down there. Saves me the hassle to fly with one. My PMR is a fun gun. Its nice to toss in a back pack for some plinking or small game while out in nature. KT carry guns at this point are outdated. If they come out with something really special maybe. Their 22 pistol versions are cool guns. But I still think their rifles are garbage. I honestly would take a HP carbine over one. Because if I drop it I'm not worried it would fall apart. KT designs are cool just not robust enough for my liking.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,018 Posts
...so the question will be...how good is the P15, exactly where does it fit in the carry gun hierarchy, and what does it cost?
And can Kel-Tec fill the demand?

I just hope the gun has some featuresets that push the envelope and kick the rest of the mfgs in the arse again...

·
Super Moderator
9,676 Posts
You folks know I am not a fan of the KelTec. That said, I do like my PMR30. I also like the P17, and while I will not order one, I will likely purchase one if I find it on the shelf at my LGS.

The P15….Meh. I need to see one in real life. Not in the market for another 9, but if the price is right, and especially if it comes with 3 magazines as was mentioned earlier…maybe. I would rather it had the paddle magazine release like the P17.

And just maybe they will come out with a P18 version chambered in .30 Super Carry…..that would make it interesting!

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,018 Posts
You folks know I am not a fan of the KelTec. That said, I do like my PMR30. I also like the P17, and while I will not order one, I will likely purchase one if I find it on the shelf at my LGS.

The P15….Meh. I need to see one in real life. Not in the market for another 9, but if the price is right, and especially if it comes with 3 magazines as was mentioned earlier…maybe. I would rather it had the paddle magazine release like the P17.

And just maybe they will come out with a P18 version chambered in .30 Super Carry…..that would make it interesting!
U should be the product development lead man... but I suspect that's Kelgren's job :rotfl:

·
Super Moderator
9,676 Posts
It’s on their web page now. MSRP $425

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,345 Posts

·
Administrator
28,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup. A competitor to the Sig P365XL and the Glock 43X.

"5 inches tall, 7.4 inches long and 7/8ths inches wide"

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,018 Posts
Thats at least $125 over priced.
But, even you know, msrp vs. Street price is WAY HIGH
125 over is about right, except the middle man will demand MSRP

stupid Bastards

·
Administrator
28,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup. A competitor to the Sig P365XL and the Glock 43X.

"5 inches tall, 7.4 inches long and 7/8ths inches wide"
KT is also listing 6.6" length, apparently it will come in two different configurations, a "long slide" and a "CC" or something.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
28,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats at least $125 over priced.
The MSRP is hundreds less than the current street price of both the Sig and the Glock. Street will be less, of course.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,345 Posts
The MSRP is hundreds less than the current street price of both the Sig and the Glock. Street will be less, of course.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
And yet it will probably be a less than stellar gun. Better options for less are still out there. The ultra slim doesn't matter to people serious about carrying a grown up gun. And it adds to the hand getting beat up shooting it. KT makes some cool guns but the never evolved or learned from theirs and others mistakes. Just look at how late to the party this gun is.

·
Administrator
28,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And yet it will probably be a less than stellar gun. Better options for less are still out there. The ultra slim doesn't matter to people serious about carrying a grown up gun. And it adds to the hand getting beat up shooting it. KT makes some cool guns but the never evolved or learned from theirs and others mistakes. Just look at how late to the party this gun is.
I guess we will just have to wait and see.

That said I think that even if it is a great gun, it's too late for me. I already bought a competitor. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts