Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
Just look at how late to the party this gun is.
Agreed. And that's a bit surprising to me because I've always felt Kelgren was an innovator, not a follower.

While I'm at it, I'm also surprised that Kel-Tec innovators didn't come out with their own LCP Max version ahead of Ruger. My hunch is KT won't bother to now the cat is out and about; but S&W and Taurus definitely will.

Reactions: moona11

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,171 Posts
I guess we will just have to wait and see.

That said I think that even if it is a great gun, it's too late for me. I already bought a competitor. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)
We all have that liked KTs

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Apparently they have both a poly frame version AND an aluminum frame version.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Embedded yootoob video of SHOT show discussion. Shows hands-on (at SHOT) with both poly and aluminum version.

Big news, it IS optics ready, both poly and aluminum.

Based on this new info, I think I have to revise my opinion. This seems pretty cool. I wish they'd have said it was optics ready in their initial press leak, or at least on their freaking web page. Optics ready is a big deal now.

Of course, I sill am unlikely to buy one because I've already invested in a competitor. They just took too long. I'm guessing they took so long because 1) "patent pending" magazine and 2) dual poly and aluminum release.

Here's the vid:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Super Moderator
10,063 Posts
Aluminum frame? It just got interesting!

Big news, it IS optics ready, both poly and aluminum.
You know my thoughts about optics, but it would be a mistake to introduce a semiautomatic handgun today that was not optics ready,

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Aluminum frame? It just got interesting!
Is it just me or does the aluminum frame version have kinda a Hi Power vibe going on?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
10,063 Posts
Is it just me or does the aluminum frame version have kinda a Hi Power vibe going on?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I was trying to think what it reminded me of. By golly, I think you got it!

I want to hold one in my hand. We all know what happens when you kick the tires though.

·
Premium Member
36,857 Posts

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
For sure, first thing I thought as well.
It's the arched rear strap and flat front strap, with wood, at that grip angle.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Apparently the original P11 mags, both 10 and 12-round, will fit the P15, as reported by TFB.

It's being reported that the MSRP on the aluminum frame version will by $799. Street price will probably be a little lower.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Apparently the original P11 mags, both 10 and 12-round, will fit the P15, as reported by TFB.

It's being reported that the MSRP on the aluminum frame version will by $799. Street price will probably be a little lower.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
OK - somebody's got some great crack, right there. $800 for a KT! Das like asking $500 for a C9.

·
Super Moderator
10,063 Posts

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I just lost interest

·
Premium Member
36,857 Posts
I’m still interested in whether the aluminum gun is in two halves that are held together by those Allen screws.

But that’s about it. When a Ruger Mark IV with ALL the bells and whistles is less than a KT pistol....well, it’s time to check the sanity of someone at KT.

Reactions: histed

·
Registered
234 Posts
1. I'm not a fan of grip safeties, they seem a tad archaic at this point in handgun development.
2. Does the polymer framed version do anything a Ruger Security 9 won't do at a lower price point?
3. The the alloy frame version do anything that guns like the CZ-75 won't do at a lower price point?

I feel like this is late to the game and still manages to swing and miss.

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
1. I'm not a fan of grip safeties, they seem a tad archaic at this point in handgun development.
Well, grip safeties have a 150 year history of success starting with the "Lemon Squeezer" and are still commonly used yet today on firearms ranging from the venerated 1911 to the XD series and the S&W EZ series. If you don't like grip safeties, that's fine. A lot of people don't. But there's no denying that grip safeties have a proven track record, many people like them, and they're still in use.

2. Does the polymer framed version do anything a Ruger Security 9 won't do at a lower price point?
Yes. It's smaller, thinner, and lighter, while being optics ready out of the box with "hoods" for pretty much any optics cut you want (according to Chad at KT anyway).

3. The the alloy frame version do anything that guns like the CZ-75 won't do at a lower price point?
Yes. It's smaller, thinner, and lighter, while being optics ready out of the box with "hoods" for pretty much any optics cut you want.

I feel like this is late to the game and still manages to swing and miss.
That's fair. I also feel like they're really late to the game.

I'm not saying that any of these reasons should make you go put an order in, but I am saying that, yes, there is a place in the market I think. No a grip safety isn't a horrible negative point and no, the Ruger Security 9 and CZ-75 are not what it is competing against. Based on the dimensions and capacity, it is competing against the Sig P365XL and the Glock G43X with Shield Arms mags.

Can it compete against the Sig and the Glock? I don't know. But comparing the P15 to a Security 9 is like comparing a motocycle to a delivery van; they're not intended for the same purpose. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
OK - somebody's got some great crack, right there. $800 for a KT! Das like asking $500 for a C9.
The price should be linked to the quality, not the brand name.

Maye the quality isn't there to justify an $800 MSRP. I don't know. But maybe it is. But I know what guns that I buy and what the price ranges are. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Y'all know I am a fan of the CZ-52, partially because it's a neat gun and a lot because I like the ballistics of the 7.62x25. If KT decides to come out with a .30 Super Carry version of this gun, I'm almost certainly a buyer of the poly version.

If it stays in 9mm only, I probably won't.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Registered
234 Posts
Y'all know I am a fan of the CZ-52, partially because it's a neat gun and a lot because I like the ballistics of the 7.62x25. If KT decides to come out with a .30 Super Carry version of this gun, I'm almost certainly a buyer of the poly version.

If it stays in 9mm only, I probably won't.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I'll concede your earlier points, I guess the sweet spot in between the Hellcat, Max 9, 365 and Glock 19 sized pistols (like the Security 9) isn't a selling point for me, but I could see the market for it. I will say that your points kind of gave me the mental image of a niche product, but KT is good at bringing those to market (if not always in quantities to satisfy demand). I'll accept that my opinions are just that, my opinions. My crypto portfolio is proof that I'm not great at judging the market.

Either way, yes, .30 Super Carry could be a game changer for people wanting a decent carry round, in higher capacities, with less recoil, in these smaller packages. It will be interesting to see how it does in the long term.

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'll concede your earlier points, I guess the sweet spot in between the Hellcat, Max 9, 365 and Glock 19 sized pistols (like the Security 9) isn't a selling point for me, but I could see the market for it.
I agree. There's a reason that I didn't buy the P365XL or the G43X. :)

Apparently you can deactivate the grip safety if you want. Remove the slide and twiddle something.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
36,857 Posts
I agree. There's a reason that I didn't buy the P365XL or the G43X. :)

Apparently you can deactivate the grip safety if you want. Remove the slide and twiddle something.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I bought the XL "housing" for the P365....for $50, how do you NOT?
But it basically turns the P365 into a much lighter slightly shorter CZ75 Compact, or a G43X with a great trigger and 30% more capacity with OEM mags. Which has a place, I suppose, but....meh.

On the other hand, if I had large hands and just WANTED a lighter 15 round gun...the XL is a good one. As are several other guns...

21 - 40 of 52 Posts