Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
And it looks like you remove the rear sight to use an optic.
Yeah. I found that interesting. A unique choice.

They screwed up.
Why? A lot of pistol rds now now come with a rear sight notch built in (RomeoZero, for instance). And people are now really trusting rds much more than they used to. The idea of BUIS isn't as important, so it seems, as it used to be.

If I ever buy one of these (which I probably won't) I'd likely throw the RomeoZero (or it's successor) on it anyway.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,171 Posts
Yeah. I found that interesting. A unique choice.

Why? A lot of pistol rds now now come with a rear sight notch built in (RomeoZero, for instance). And people are now really trusting rds much more than they used to. The idea of BUIS isn't as important, so it seems, as it used to be.

If I ever buy one of these (which I probably won't) I'd likely throw the RomeoZero (or it's successor) on it anyway.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Why? Because they were lazy and did it like the PMR. CANIK did it also and realized it was stupid and changed the design.

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Why? Because they were lazy and did it like the PMR. CANIK did it also and realized it was stupid and changed the design.
I don't really agree. I think it's a clever way of addressing the lack of MRDS footprint standard. To me, it feels a little like being able to choose KeyMod or M-LOK, or to select which rail you want on your AR, Picatinny or Weaver.

But I understand your objection and respect it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: bumthum

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Apparently Kel-Tec has clarified the OAL on the gun. The 7.4 length originally found on their web page was some sort of typo. The length is 6.6".

Like I thought; a direct competitor to the P365XL and the G43X with Shield Arms mags. Almost exactly the same height and length, but much thinner.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't really agree. I think it's a clever way of addressing the lack of MRDS footprint standard. To me, it feels a little like being able to choose KeyMod or M-LOK, or to select which rail you want on your AR, Picatinny or Weaver.

But I understand your objection and respect it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I agree with this perspective. The lack of pistol RD base compatibility is annoying and it DOES force pistol manufacturers into design choices that aren't optimal. Why we can't settle on a standard for handguns, like we did years ago with Weaver and then later with Picatinny on longarns, is beyond me. I get it from the perspective of optics manufacturers, they want you to own a pistol that forces you to use their brand of glass, but the pistol manufacturers maybe need to assert themselves here a bit... or maybe the consumers do.

Long story short, Keltec is faced with a decision to design something that HAS to be less than great because of the optics plate situation. I think their decision is tolerable if the owner buys good glass. Red dots are very reliable these days and most people won't require a pistol BUIS equivalent for general use.

·
Premium Member
36,857 Posts
Apparently Kel-Tec has clarified the OAL on the gun. The 7.4 length originally found on their web page was some sort of typo. The length is 6.6".

Like I thought; a direct competitor to the P365XL and the G43X with Shield Arms mags. Almost exactly the same height and length, but much thinner.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
You're right, they are supposed to be competitors. But I wonder if that extra thin design, while being nice to carry, won't be a problem for shooting, the PF9 was harsh, I think because it was so thin. Not that it's a deal killer...carry guns don't have to be comfy for 200 rounds a weekend.

And I'd love to have a chance to try the KelTec trigger; can't imagine how they will do a single action.

Reactions: moona11

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
You're right, they are supposed to be competitors. But I wonder if that extra thin design, while being nice to carry, won't be a problem for shooting, the PF9 was harsh, I think because it was so thin.
That is a common concern that I keep hearing. No one knows but everyone is thinking about it.

And I'd love to have a chance to try the KelTec trigger; can't imagine how they will do a single action.
Apparently they didn't have a sample at the range day at SHOT. A few commenters stopped by the booth and played with the booth sample and said varying things about the trigger, from it's fine to it's terrible, but I don't know that you can actually judge it by what they put at the booth.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Reactions: ajole and Rerun

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
For example, this attendee claims that it is a very nice trigger. One of the best.

And, apparently, adjustable back strap.

Off site yootoob link:

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,880 Posts
Is it just me or does the aluminum frame version have kinda a Hi Power vibe going on?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I see it too!

...big news, it IS optics ready, both poly and aluminum.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Even a Blind Mole could see that :rotfl:
Line Tool Auto part Bumper Metal

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Apparently the original P11 mags, both 10 and 12-round, will fit the P15, as reported by TFB.

It's being reported that the MSRP on the aluminum frame version will by $799. Street price will probably be a little lower.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
OK - somebody's got some great crack, right there. $800 for a KT! Das like asking $500 for a C9.
According to a new post over on TheKTOG, price for the aluminum frame version is "~$550-650" and the poly is "$320-350"

That's WAY more doable and, if true, has certainly caught my attention.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
29,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
41 - 52 of 52 Posts