Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that own a KT PF-9...

What ammo works best in your pistol for range use and self defense carry?

Just got my PF-9 this past week and looking for carry ammo options to test based on other PF-9 owners expierences.

G

·
No pun intended rimfire, but that's kind of a loaded question. lol
Mine eats almost anything I feed it. But they can be somewhat finicky about the ammo they'll eat.
However sometimes ammo or the gun is blamed for problematic cycling of these small light wieght and powerful
guns. When in reality many times it's the grip. Like HP's the KT's are sesitive to limp wristing, or what I like to cal "strong elbowing". You need a good push pull grip and both elbows bent to keep the energy of the slide moving horizontally rather than vertically. ;-)

That being that, I mainly use WWB and Blazer 115gr. for my range ammo. And SXZ 124 or 115gr. JHP for my defense loads. The only thing I've found that my PF9 doesn't like much is 147gr. ammo.

Oh ya, and a laser for these guys can go a long way towards helping you learn to control that long DAO trigger. ;-)
Armalaser RSS on mine.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I've pretty much only shot WWB through mine. FMJ for range time, HP for carry.
So far, so good. I have to be up near 1000 total through her.

PS: congrats on the new purchase, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got in two range sessions with the PF-9 so far using the following ammo...

124gr LRN Reloads (my own)
124gr JHP Reloads (my own)
WWB 147gr JHP
Hornady 115gr XTP

Both of my reloads ran great but accuracy was not as good as I would like, course these loads were tailored to hit POA from my S&W 9VE Sigma and HP C9, both having a bit longer barrel than the PF-9.

The 147gr WWB's.... lets just say they produce as much recoil in the little PF-9 as some of my .44 Special loads do in my Taurus 441 4" revolver. Accuracy was so-so but still in the black on a B27 at 12 yards.

The Hornady 115gr loads turned in better accuracy than any of the heavier bullets did, recoil was very manageable for rapid fire.

Based on the two range sessions I have had so far I may lean towards the lighter 115gr bullet in this pistol because it seems to put em where they belong a more consistantly than it did with the heavier bullets. This is the beauty of reloading.... matching up bullet/powder/charge to what a particular gun likes!! Fun Fun Fun.

G

·
Sounds like you've got a good handle on figuring out what your gun will like. ;-)
Just remember that running any +P ammo through it is a no no with these light weight guns.
So keep those loads reasonable. ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.