Kel-Tec PF-9

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Glennfrank, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    So, I stopped at my favorite gunstore last night and they had NIB Keltec PF-9s on sale fore $249.

I've been looking for a small carry piece for summer & had been looking into Taurus Millenniums and 24/7 Pro Compacts but this seems like a great little pistol for pocket carry.

Anyone have one or have any experience with them?

Thanks!

2. Go to KTOG if you haven't already and spend a few hours reading. I don't own one - without spilling any beans or seeming to take an opinion, go read then decide.

3. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Can't really find anything there specifically about the PF-9 but from what I am reading it seems that there are quite a few lemons in the other batches of pistols but that when sent back they come back perfect.

Reading gave me pause but I'm still not completely turned off the idea of it.
    I've been contemplating the new Ruger as well, but I'd feel better carrying a 9mm over a .380 - unless the pistol that shot it wasn't as reliable.

I guess I will do some more research. If any members have any experience with the PF-9 and would like to chime in their thoughts and opinions are welcome.

4. DrpChvy

DrpChvy Member

I have a PF-9 good gun only put about 50 rounds threw it but had no problems with it at all.

5. http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=newpistol

Here's the KTOG link with quite a bit of info. If by new Ruger you mean the LCP, in .380........ it's quite a bit smaller than the P-9. At a show I held both today. The LCP is a knockoff basically of the smaller KT .380 model.

6. 45Man

45Man Member

Try this: PF-9

7. Go shoot it a bunch more! I bought one soon after they came out and put 200 rounds through it. It seemed fine but I don't trust carry guns until they've got about 500 rounds through them (I know it's expensive, but it's the only life I've got). It seemed like it would be okay to put it on my permit and shoot it more later so I'd feel safe with it.

In NV you have to qualify with the pistols on your permit (one revolver qualifies for all revolvers) so I had to shoot this. I began to get problems half way through my qualification. The hammer would drop but the pistol would not fire. I did manage to qualify, but the score was near the minimum acceptable. I took it apart and the ejector pin had moved to block the hammer from falling. Returned to factory (I think they put my serial number on a new pistol) and returned.

Over 1000 rounds since, no problem. I carry it without worry now.

Back to my main point--50 rounds is not enough, shoot it more before you trust your life-and those of your loved ones-to it. :shock:

8. Troller98

Troller98 Member

I have a P-11 as my daily carry now. The PF-9 will be the next gun I will purchase.

9. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Thanks for the links and responses guys, gonna do some thinking on this one.

10. Ari

Ari Guest

I like the P-11 but I would have to wait on the PF9

11. DrpChvy

DrpChvy Member

12. dang I wish I could find a pf-9 here for that price. Its 280 at my local shop for the blued version.

13. Call CDNN in Abilene and ask their current price on Kel-Tecs. If I remember right, it was $229 or $239 in their last catalog. I'm in Wisconsin right now and my printed catalog is in Nevada, so I can't check (the prices are not in the on-line catalog, but it's still a good download) Shipping is probably going to be about $25 on the pistol (last time I shipped 2 pistol--last December--it was $28 and change.) Then it's whatever your dealer charges you for paperwork, etc. My dealer charges a flat $20 per transfer plus Clark County background check ($25 dollars I don't have to pay due to CHL)

I'll probably be buying another PF-9 and a P3AT soon because my wife informed me yesterday she's getting her CHL when we return to Vegas. She's a bit uncomfortable here in Wisconsin without me carrying (so am I)
    :evil:

Let us know what you decide, and if you get one please post your experiences with it :wink:

14. GerbilWarrior...... you do great work. Thanks for the info.

15. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Thanks Gerbilwarrior, great info there!

Thanks to all that tried to help as well. I may go back in a couple days and pick one up. I have a lot to think about on this one.

16. thanks NDS. I actually saw their catalog today. They've got a killer deal on XD's as well. I'm gonna check with them later this week.