Kel Tec

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by moona11, Aug 13, 2015.

1. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

So I ordered a few parts by email from them the other day. Got a response today that said to just go online a oder from the store. What the hell is that. They have always just sent me the parts free now I have to pay for them or they said I could sent it in and they would work on both of my P11's. This is bull sh it. So I am not a happy camper. Kirk when did this change. I was going to get a new KT but if I have to buy the parts or send it in for a new firing pin or what ever no thank you. LEO prices are nice but SCCY is looking better. Very pissed off.

2. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

That sucks, but on the plus side, there is only one typo in that whole post. A definite improvement. Jk
    Didn't Hi Point just start doing the same thing? It seems like the more product these companies sell the worse their warranties become.

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have ordered firing pin assembly's, dolls heads & ejector kits for the JC & JF this past week. NO CHARGE for parts or shipping at either HP plants!

4. Dagwood

Thats good to hear Mel.

5. lsi1

lsi1 Member

as a side note to moonz's post they have stopped accepting phone orders for parts accessories also.

I polished the chamber on my ksg myself to fix the stuck shell issue because i wasn't willing to wait the 10-12 week turn around time.

I know they have a great ethic policy of never borrowing money but i think instead of expanding maybe they should improve their warranty service department.

my second sccy has been perfect with no issues or trouble of any kind but my first had some issues that they bent over backwards to fix and had back to me in a week. I'm not saying they are better than kt but i will commend their service/customer relations department to anyone.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Hadn't heard that one yet. If it were me, I'd be hot under the collar too. They've always sent me "fix it" parts for free. I think I'd probably have pressed the point with them, maybe upped to to a Super or something.

There has been rumblings in recent days of KT's service dept quality slipping.

I agree that if this is a new "official policy" that it will hurt them. Yes, it would be enough to drive some away.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. Dagwood

I like the SCCY, but it doesn't fit my hand well. I should clarify. It is the trigger guard that I dont care for. The long reset of the trigger means that my fat finger is up against the trigger guard. Just not enough room btwn the trigger and the guard for my fat finger.

8. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Gotta say that even though I own two Kel Tecs, I wasn't the happiest with them when new. The first one,PF9, had a big wad of nitrate cooked into the barrel rifling that I had to send back for replacement.

The second one, P11, had a measured trigger pull twice that listed in the specs. Sent it back in and the returned pistol still a trigger pull way out of spec. Finally did the work myself to get the trigger pull to a decent level.

At this point, I would pick another manufacturer over Kel Tec, unless there is something in their lineup worth the hassle of getting it tuned right myself.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

PMR30, PLR16/PLR22, or anything from their rifle/shotgun lineup?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. lsi1

lsi1 Member

like the ksg but needs serious work to design in my opinion to make it dependable to the quality of mossberg 500 remmington 870. chambers so tight that unfired shells need forced in, action bars that bend, and stocks that crack along slide rails. I didn't mention the lower rails breaking and the muzzle blast removing parts of hands simply because i think those were more user error due to using poorly mounted vertical grips.

they were decent to me when my stock cracked and sent me out a new one and an extractor but i've heard from a friend with one that they no longer send out those parts.

11. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The SU-16 is a pretty reliable rifle. It is rare to read complaints about it over on the KTOG, and it has done well for me.

The RFB and KSG seem to have some growing pains for new owners, but the SU is great, right out of the box. And if you don't like the rear sight, just get a Tech Sight.

12. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Maybe a PMR30....maybe.

I was contemplating a KSG until I picked up a MKA 1919. The MKA is a semi-auto, 10 round mag fed 12 Ga. developed for the Turkish army. M16 function and style. Not as fussy as the KSG.

I've also considered a P32 for the SO, but she is quite happy with her LCP.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  13. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

This is good to know as I am still really teetering between the PF 11 and eh SCCY as my new carry peace.

Might put me over the edge towards the SCCY

14. Dagwood

I gotta say, I like my SU-16. Now that its broke in with several hundred rounds, it is very reliable. Light weight, foldable, .223. Great Bug Out rifle.

Attached Files:

15. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

The SU-16 is a good rifle, but I wouldn't use it as my sole BUG. A standard AR-15 would be a better choice due to the wide spread availability of parts should you require them. Just my opinion. :)

16. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i have owned 2 sub 2000 rifles 1 .40 glock magazine and 1 9mm beretta flavor. the .40 was from around 2004 or so and was plagued with problems. the other was perfect never a problem. unfortunately I let it go on a trade and now am on the hunt for a glock 9mm version.

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

When I finally decided to get into center-fire rifles again, I seriously waffled between an SU-16 and an AR. I finally decided the AR for the reasons you mention. The ubiquity of the AR platform means that there's more parts, more accessories, and more available expertise on the platform.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I would certainly choose an AR or AK for a bugout rifle over the SU, but I have to say that when it comes to parts, the operating rod-carrier group is not likely to break. The only other thing that could need replacing is the bolt or its extractor, and it uses the same bolt and extractor as the AR.

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

A buddy of mine sold me his 9mm Sub2K in Glock for a reasonable price. I have the Glock brand 10-round flush fit mag and three of the KBI happy sticks for it. I intend to never let it go out of my collection.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

20. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

This change is going to hurt them. CS is what keeps you buying the product. I did switch the rear sights of mine to the SCCY sight when I got the guns the sights needed a little work to fit but they are nice. SCCY sent them to me free even knowing I didn't have their gun.