Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by S.H. Blannelberry on April 29, 2021

Kentucky Ballistics (Scott) recounts his freak accident with his Serbu single-shot .50 BMG caliber on April 9th, 2021.
A hot round literally blew up the rifle in his face; the exploding debris lacerated his jugular vein, punctured his right lung, broke his orbital bone, and severely mangled his index finger.

Watch the video to see how Scott managed to survive. It’s a truly harrowing story, and a testament to his belief in God.

Reactions: yworrydog

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My preference now is no high pressure ammunition older than about the year 1960 in calibers larger than 30-06 for me after watching this video. It is amazing this man survived this tragic accident.

·
I Stand With Talon
6,459 Posts
He was shooting M903 SLAP rounds in a civilian grade 50 bolt action.
Most SLAP rounds are not compatible with civilian rifles due to them having a greater length then a standard 50 BMG and the round may not fit the chamber properly. They also were not typically fired in bolt action sniper rifles, and were specifically banned by the military for use in the M107. The M903 SLAP was used almost exclusively in the M2 MG and on tank mounted weapons.

Neither the round or the weapon caused this, he did.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the military ammo was not designed to be fired in a .50 BMG bolt action rifle. Lesson here is if you own a .50 BMG rifle use non-military ammo that was manufactured in the 1980s or more recently?

·
I Stand With Talon
6,459 Posts
So the military ammo was not designed to be fired in a .50 BMG bolt action rifle. Lesson here is if you own a .50 BMG rifle use non-military ammo that was manufactured in the 1980s or more recently?
The SLAP rounds weren't, they were designed to be used in the M2 and heavy armor mounted weapons. They weren't even used in miitary bolt actions because of the high pressure needed to move them at over 4000fps.

·
Premium Member
35,671 Posts
He wasn’t shooting M903 SLAP rounds.
He was shooting a civilian manufactured version of that round, which wasn’t made exactly to spec. Different shape of sabot, probably different plastic with different properties, and who knows what powder.

Real SLAP.

Fake SLAP that he’s been using.

Reactions: perotter

·
Premium Member
8,483 Posts
He wasn’t shooting M903 SLAP rounds.
He was shooting a civilian manufactured version of that round, which wasn’t made exactly to spec. Different shape of sabot, probably different plastic with different properties, and who knows what powder.

Real SLAP.

Fake SLAP that he’s been using.

Whichever brand he was shooting, his common sense alarm was turned off!

The size of the muzzleflash on the shot prior to the explosion would have had me discontinue using that ammunition.

eldar

·
Premium Member
35,671 Posts
He didn’t notice it being “that” bad. It’s always a big bad concussion, a little more than normal isn’t that noticeable, and he didn’t see the flash, I’d bet. That gun doesn’t just sit and let you track the bullet in the scope. His dad probably didn’t either, looking through the camera.

·
Super Moderator
28,370 Posts
Whether or not it was his fault, the gun, the ammo, or pixies, it was still horrible and I pray he recovers quickly.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,804 Posts
Whether or not it was his fault, the gun, the ammo, or pixies, it was still horrible and I pray he recovers quickly.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Lucky to be alive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts