kerosene questions

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by izzymomak1938, May 11, 2014.

1. izzymomak1938

izzymomak1938 Member

So i have a reproduction wick kerosene lantern for a rainy day and i put the kerosene in an old jager bottle. i adore obscure items and the bottle reminds me of an old apothacary bottle. well after a couple weeks of the kerosene being in the bottle its now separating. and merky as all heck. is this normal? If the liquid is light sensitive wouldnt the green tinted glass offer some protection? What is goiing on with this?

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It's not normal, was there water or anything in the bottle? Or was it really humid when you filled the bottle?

3. izzymomak1938

izzymomak1938 Member

I washed out the bottle and let it dry. it was right before a small rain fit. more like a sneeze. is this stuff safe to have now?

4. rickm

rickm Member

This has nothing to do with the ? asked but just a helpful tip when u fill the lamp and u are going to have it sitting around waiting for when needed run the wick all the way up and unscrew the top off lamp off and put a peice of plastic wrap over the top then screw the top back on it will help with evaporation of the fluid in the lamp.

5. izzymomak1938

izzymomak1938 Member

That's a really good idea thank you for the tip

6. I think you got some water in your kero.

More importantly, your story reminds me of when I was about 5 years old and our family was packed to go camping. My father had done the same thing as you and put kerosene in a liquor bottle. Me being the adventurous kid I was, took a great big swig. Needless to say instead of camping I was in the hospital getting a charcoal cocktail followed by a sound stomach pumping. We went camping a day late, but I burped the taste of kerosene for about a week and puked daily until it went away.

Moral of the story is DON'T DO THAT!!! There are laws now about putting fuels in improperly color coded containers for a reason. A VERY good reason.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yeoldetool is right. The laws don't apply to you, only to commercial sales folk, but it can be dangerous regardless of the laws.