Kerosine heaters

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by SharpsShtr, Jan 19, 2008.

1. SharpsShtr

SharpsShtr Member

For those who need one, I was in the local Home Depot yesterday and they had their big 23,000 BTU kerosine heaters on sale for 87 dollars (30% off). Must be clearing them out to make room for springtime items.

Matt

2. kerosene heaters are great for an emergency heating source when the power goes out during a winter storm, but I would not want to use one on a full time basis. Think I paid over a hundred for mine back in 2000 so the ones on sale at Home Depot are a good deal.

One thing about kerosene, and I found this out the hard way one year, is to rotate it each year or it will go bad. I use up my winter stock during the summer in our yard torches, this keeps my winter stocks fresh and ready for use in the event we need emergency heating.

3. Just remember to have adequate ventilation. Otherwise you can go to sleep and not wake back up. :shock:

4. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

YUP!! And also move it AWAY from walls and everything else [give em some space]

5. joebob88

joebob88 Guest

I had on catch fire while I was sleeping. I got lucky, it was on top of a table and didn't catch anything on fire. It had a leak where the sight glass is mounted. It burned completely up. When I woke there was just a small flame going. I could not see two foot in front of me from the smoke. I had to take breathing treatments for about 2 weeks. I'll never buy another one.

6. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Use it only during daytime not when you go to bed you really don't need it while your sleeping. if you do get up in the middle of the night and run it for about 30 min. or till warm and shut it off and go back to bed. But i sleep better in a cooler room and feel better in the morning

7. joebob's post is a very good reason why you do not go to sleep with a kero heater running. When we have to use the for emergency heat somone stays up with the heater during the night, usually me, or it gets turned off. Too many house fires, and lives lost, as a result of unattended kero heaters for me to trust them while my family and I are asleep.

Glad you brought this up joebob and glad you are with us today. Count your blessings and give thanks where thanks is due for waking up in time.

8. SharpsShtr

SharpsShtr Member

Will the sealed 5 gallon cans experience the same shelf life? On a similar note, if you know, does the oil for oil lamps have similar life if unopened? I would think storing the above in my unattached, unheated garage would be okay, yes/no? I'm reluctant to keep it in the basement. Thanks for the good information and comments.

Matt