Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
28,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like Navaja knives. I have a buddy who teaches Navaja (James) but for me it just kind of fits like a "folding bowie knife."

For years I have been carrying a Cold Steel Voyager X2 as a "modern Navaja" but recently another buddy (Tommy) put me on to the new Kershaw Strata XL. It's a "modern Navaja." I missed a good sale on them but it turns out to have been providential because a 3rd buddy (Randal) had decided gift one to me so it showed up somewhat unexpectedly last Wednesday (a week ago).

Slimmer, svelt, and sitting deeper in the pocket for better concealment, the Strata uses a "frame lock" unlike the Voyagers lockback mechanism. While I could flick or "brownie pop" the Voyager, the Strata insists that I use the open assist on the base hinge of the blade. All that together means that I have to learn a new draw and deploy for the Strata then I've been using with the Voyager. Physically, the blade on the Strata is 1/2" shorter than the Voyager. While bigger is usually better, I don't think that the 1/2" will make much difference in this case. All that said, I truly like the Strata and it has replaced the Voyager in my pocket.

One of the most visually striking features of the Strata is the black scale on one side with metal-gray scale on the other, all set with copper accents. It's a very attractive knife.

Wouldn't be complete without some standard marketing photos (in other words, these are marketing pics, not ones I took).

Tableware Kitchen utensil Office supplies Cutlery Eyewear

Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Composite material Font

Sunglasses Tool Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: moona11 and Rerun

·
Super Moderator
9,676 Posts
Not a bad looking folder. Kind of reminds me of my Opinel Slimline knives.

Reactions: moona11

·
Administrator
28,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a bad looking folder. Kind of reminds me of my Opinel Slimline knives.
The shape of those are similar. Closer to the laguiole but still.

I have (have had) something like 4 other Navaja knives. Besides the Colt Steel Voyager X2, I have a 4.5" Kudu, the 6" Kudu, a Spanish made 3.5" (forget the manufacturer but the blade is stainless), and a 6" Okapi which I wore out the lock.

I still haven't talked myself into buying a classic ratchet style "carraka" Navaja.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: moona11

·
Registered
813 Posts
I am a Kershaw knives fan. 95% of the time I my edc is either a Kershaw or a Zero Tolerance ( made by Kershaw ). The knife in my pocket right now is a ZT770cf.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts