Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is eight, has shown ability with an air rifle, so I'm thinking of moving her up to a rimfire. I have a 10/22 and a savage bolt action .22 in the house, but those might be a little bit big for her. Not sure one of the .22 crickets is a good solution either, as they already look like they may be too small, or will be within a few years..

Also, I remember getting an afternoon of instruction with a .22 bolt action, being handed a brick of ammo, and being turned loose on a few hundred acres to practice on gophers. I don't think I want that loose of an approach to teaching her, but I need a way to make this fun too...

Any of you that have taught your kids have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
My daughter got a crickett when she was eight, fit her perfectly, shes graduated to her own youth/compact model 10/22 now though. you might look into getting one of the youth stocks for the 10/22 for her, but itll prolly still be a bit big.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The cricket is a good choice. It has an overall length of 30" and weighs all of 2.5 pounds. Marlin makes the 915Y, a .22 LR that is 33/5 overall length and weighs 4.25 lbs. If you think it is something she is going to get into, you might consider one of those Rossi trifecta packages -- a youth model that has three interchangable barrels: .22 LR, 20 gauge, and .243 with a weight of 6.3 lbs and an overall length of 31.5" to 35" depending on barrel. All of the above are single shot, which I would recommend for a beginner, and any of them would be a good choice.

Henry makes a youth model lever action that uses a tubular magazine that holds 12 rounds, grooved receiver for scope mounting, an overall length of 33" and weighs 4.5 lbs, and it is a sweet little rifle for about $250, if you want to go that route, though.

For targets, you might consider getting one of those World of Targets swingers, like a prairie chuck or chicken target. My niece started with one of those and she had a ball shooting the woodchuck silhouette, making it ring and spin around.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I started my son with a Savage Stevens Favorite single shot. We used clay pigeons as training targets. You may want to look at a Ruger 10/22 Compact, they are about 1.25 inches shorter in LOP and have a 16.5 inch barrel. I got one for my wife with a pink laminate stock, she loves it. The big advantage of the 10/22 is you can get any type and size stock you want.

Ron M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.