Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went hunting for the first time today and got myself a rabbit. Too bat the little guy had to die in vain. When I cut its belly open I found a large tapeworm so he never made it to the dinner table.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Don't worry...he didn't die in vain...you might not be able to eat him safely due to the tapeworm and the associated risk of disease, but if you leave the carcass in an area away from people and domestic animals, I'm certain a scavenger or two can make a meal out of this...just be sure to BURN the gutpile so that those dang tapeworms don't spread any further! In other words, dig a quick pit, dump in the guts/innards, throw some brush and gasoline in, and then light that sucker up so you kill anything in the guts that might potentially spread the parasite. Of course, standby with a fire extinguisher/water bucket to ensure the safe progression of the fire! Don't let it get out of hand!

Just a thought or two...and when you're done burning the guts, take the rest of the carcass out to a remote area and leave it for the coyotes/buzzards, etc...Hey, they gotta eat, too, and your kill could provide a meal for 'em...plus, you could always check back at the carcass later to see if there are some coyotes around...makes for some good predator hunting!

Later!

Jag 8)

·
Banned
19,446 Posts
we have tons of those and cottontails around the farm shelter belts. i shoot em' and leave em' all the time. helps keep the fox and coyotes out of teh sheep herd. dont feel bad about leaving it for a predator. thats natures way, you're just helping out a bit *WINK*

SW

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we have tons of those and cottontails around the farm shelter belts. i shoot em' and leave em' all the time. helps keep the fox and coyotes out of teh sheep herd. dont feel bad about leaving it for a predator. thats natures way, you're just helping out a bit *WINK*

SW
Yah, I just left it. I didn't have the gas to burn it anyway.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Around here we never hunt rabbits until after the first frost, but beings we are in the middle of winter in Montana and it was about 8 degrees last night, I am sure I could have taken out a couple of snowshoes I saw today!..man them little buggers and the grouse are all over this year! Means we should have some good coyote hunting this summer!

ye Ha..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts