Knuckle conditioning?

Discussion in 'Training' started by eauphalant, Jul 24, 2015.

1. eauphalant

eauphalant Member

Anyone know of any good techniques to condition knuckles? I'm looking to condition my knuckles because I know if something happened I'd be more likely to go hand to hand or run (only 19 so can't conceal carry yet).

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Hand wraps and a heavy bag worked for me when I wasn't bar fighting in the Corps.

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    When I was Your age, I would repeatedly punch cinder block walls, starting out very lightly, until I could eventually hit them hard enough to hear the thud echo inside of the hollow interior. It took quite a bit of time to build up to that, though.

The only problem is that my right hand now has a middle knuckle that is bigger than the rest by enough to make people ask about it, sometimes. My method was not something that I read about, per se. I just started doing it after getting into Tae Kwon Do and watching our instructor do a bunch of bouncing push ups on his knuckles.

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I still do that with my left!.....

5. eauphalant

eauphalant Member

I'll have to try that out, would that be able to be used to condition other parts of the body also?

6. Think1st

Florida
    I never tried it with any other parts, but it might work. You should exercise extreme caution with your shins and feet. It's too easy to break a toe. Of course, as sensitive as the shins are, you won't start out too hard, anyhow.

Seriously, though, I would recommend going to a martial arts school. They can at least teach you good mechanics so that you don't develop bad habits while you do your conditioning. Most schools are more oriented to tournament sparring, but the mechanical skills are still worth learning.

7. eauphalant

eauphalant Member

Would you recommend doing something like knuckle pushups meanwhile to prevent building bad habits with form then?

8. Bull

If only you were an Ohioan, we could recommend the guy Hanging up in Chuck Norris' locker!

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

Try it with your head. Post the video.

10. Think1st

Florida
    That would certainly help.

11. eauphalant

eauphalant Member

What you mean? Lol

12. Bull

Kirk is our resident martial arts guru.... But he's in Ohio...

13. eauphalant

eauphalant Member

I see, I wish there were more jkd schools

14. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Do some breathing exercises and run head first into a wall. You will be a ninja.

15. eauphalant

eauphalant Member

Lol found a Christian taekwondo association nearby that I'm gonna check out next week and see if it'd be worth doing though it's free

16. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

If you do it it will be worth it.

17. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

Are we talking about knuckle conditioning or are we talking about causing future problems with the use of your hands?

18. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

You need to look at Martial Arts "Iron fist"
    Training techniques.
    Lotsa videos on YouTube and lot of books available.
    To train your whole body takes a lifetime.
    http://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/showthread.php?3969-Iron-Fist-chi-kung-training-variation
    I'll see if I can find it but there is a video out there of an old wiry Chinese guy beating some Western guy.
    He trains by punching buckets filled with pebbles and sticking his hands in cooking woks filled with hot sand.

Start out by doing push-ups on your knuckles. That's already painful enough lol

19. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I was into southern Japanese and Korean martial arts for many years. When in the military you travel a lot and pick up many styles. We would condition our knuckles and shins using some of the methods previously mentioned. While practicing in Thailand we also worked out with professional Thai Kickboxers. Take a good look at their knuckles, forearms, elbows and shins and then ask yourself where in your training you should stop "hardening" things. These guys were like walking bricks and there were very few places you could strike them and actually hurt them. Most all their take-down blows during their fights were seriously powerful head or rib shots using their elbows or shins. However (there's always an however) after 15 years of various styles of martial arts , my knees, back and hands aren't what they used to be. Some mornings I hurt all over. I can imagine how those boxers feel right about this age. I've considered myself pretty athletic all my life up until the 60's. Just be sure this is what you want before you undertake it. It is going to be painful. Yes, the no pain, no gain theory is alive and well in that lifestyle. The rewards are great, but can sometimes be costly. My advise, join a good martial arts class with a good sensei (instructor). MMA is o.k. but I would advise a very good Japanese or Korean martial arts class that teaches the discipline, style and history of the art. I did and it was well worth it. One last thing; when you do and if you get good at it, don't become a bully or a$$hole like I have seen so many do. I've also seen a few of those types totally get their a$$ whooped by a good ole boy who can take a lickin and keep on tickin.;)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  20. eauphalant

eauphalant Member

Last time I've been punched I was in a fight when I was 15 that was stacked against me being 5'3" and 103 pounds against the kid that picked it being 6'4" and 190 at the time and I remember it all until the point when he landed a right hook and woke up in my car lol