Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another forum, "The Firing Line" a guy asked a question about what firearms needed logged into a C&R license holders bound book, with replies to the original poster that sure aren't what my understanding of the regulations are:

You need to enter any C&R firearms you acquire after obtaining the license and any C&R firearms you currently own should you sell/transfer one to someone else.

Just to clarify aliitle more. You must enter any Curio and Relic firearm in your bound book even if you didnt use your license to aquire it

Now my understanding was that the only ones you needed to log in were firearms bought using your C&R license, that any firearm owned prior to your license issue was considered to be in your private collection. Which is correct? What these guys are saying, or what I thought?

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
you must enter every gun that you purchase using your license into your bound book. any gun acquired before licensure is only to be entered when and if you use your license if selling or trading it. You can do a local(in state) transfer or purchase/trade without using your license and not have to enter it into you bound book. You can also take entered guns and "remove" them to your private collection by entering "private collection" into the disposition field of the bound book. If you use your license to sell or trade any gun then it must be entered and the transaction logged in.

A few instances- I buy a C&R gun at a local gun store, I don't use my C&R instead I use my CCW to skip the background process, that gun does not have to be entered until I sell or trade it away. And then you list it as coming from your "private collection"

You are at a local gun show, a guy wants to buy one of your C&R guns, he is a same state resident and legal to own a firearm, he also doesn't want a record of it, if the gun he purchases is in your book then transfer it to "private collection" and proceed with a private face to face transaction as you would have before the license.

I hope this answers your questions, if not then pm me and I will give you my number and we can talk further.

I have been through 3 seperate ATF audits and this is how the agents explained the rules to me every time.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have been through 3 seperate ATF audits and this is how the agents explained the rules to me every time.
3 AUDITS!? Why, do they think it's out of the norm to buy nagants by the case?
Lord knows if I had the $$ case lots would be coming from century all the time.
They really must not get us C&R people.

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
apparently, the ATF must recieve notification when an individual buys directly from the importer in quantities like I did last year. The one that put them over the top was the day when I purchased 2 crates of Mosins and 2 seperate Mausers from I.O. Inc on the same day. I had a phone call from an agent that next week. Never had any problems with the ATF, they found all of my record keeping in order and they came to the conclusion that I was just a collector taking advantage of great pricing and not preparing to arm a 3rd world country. The last audit came a few weeks ago, after the one year anniversary of my license, I guess buying 147 guns in a 365 day span threw up a few flags also. Now I don't have quite that number left as I have traded and sold a few but I did calm down my buying for a while to focus on bigger fish, i.e. Class 3 fully automatic. Probably looking at a few more visits from them pretty soon, hell I will eventually have my own ATF branch office at the house eventually. lol

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
you must enter every gun that you purchase using your license into your bound book. any gun acquired before licensure is only to be entered when and if you use your license if selling or trading it. You can do a local(in state) transfer or purchase/trade without using your license and not have to enter it into you bound book. You can also take entered guns and "remove" them to your private collection by entering "private collection" into the disposition field of the bound book. If you use your license to sell or trade any gun then it must be entered and the transaction logged in.

A few instances- I buy a C&R gun at a local gun store, I don't use my C&R instead I use my CCW to skip the background process, that gun does not have to be entered until I sell or trade it away. And then you list it as coming from your "private collection"

You are at a local gun show, a guy wants to buy one of your C&R guns, he is a same state resident and legal to own a firearm, he also doesn't want a record of it, if the gun he purchases is in your book then transfer it to "private collection" and proceed with a private face to face transaction as you would have before the license.

I hope this answers your questions, if not then pm me and I will give you my number and we can talk further.

Since, your license on only for collecting, how the heck do you sell"using your license"? If I can sell one of my C&Rs off the books to someone FTF as a non-licensee, why would I have to add it into the book in order to ship it to an FFL in another state? The same non-licensee rules should apply in that case as well. Also, how are the guns in your book not already part of your private collection since that is the whole purpose of the C&R license in the first place? I can see the distinction for an 01 dealer but not for an 03. I'm confused as ever.

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
Mike, I didn't make the rules nor can I explain why they are the way they are. The reason for entering into your book a gun you are selling interstate is if the buyer is using his license also, you cannot ship a rifle or handgun to anybody in another state unless they have a C&R or go through an 01 dealer. The private collection thing is really a loophole that hasn't needed to be addressed yet. It is to cover guns that were in your possession prior to licensure and after your license expires. It is best if you use your license for any purchase or transaction that you can but there are times when that might not be possible.

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Mike, I didn't make the rules nor can I explain why they are the way they are. The reason for entering into your book a gun you are selling interstate is if the buyer is using his license also, you cannot ship a rifle or handgun to anybody in another state unless they have a C&R or go through an 01 dealer. The private collection thing is really a loophole that hasn't needed to be addressed yet. It is to cover guns that were in your possession prior to licensure and after your license expires. It is best if you use your license for any purchase or transaction that you can but there are times when that might not be possible.
Thanks

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Here we go again....where's my popcorn? :dead:
Very useful and informative post. I'm glad you took the time to share your knowledge with the forum by answering some questions. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Just didn't want it to go in the "Any FFL's on this forum" thread. I have an 03 also. I don't enter guns that i buy locally since i did not use my license to acquire them. if i order online then it goes in the book. disposition for guns that i sell or whatever goes into a "gift" dispostion or "trade" as you can trade whatever you like.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Kripp, you pretty well answered my questions. One of the things that get under my skin is the extent of self-proclaimed experts found on-line explaining things, and giving opinions that clearly aren't truth. That's why I'm thankful you are around here to clarify issues, I only hope others here understand how blessed we are to have your experiences to lean on when we have questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.