Largest ammo purchase to date

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by 4095fanatic, Feb 23, 2008.

1. 5,500 rounds of Federal .22 HP. Remember when this stuff was $5 for a box of 550... Now I consider myself lucky to get it for $12. Oh well, still not bad considering we're due for another price jump soon. I only wish I could have gotten more. Almost cleaned the walmart out. Largest centerfire purchase I've done is 500 rounds of .40.

I also bought 11 tv dinners and 2 bags of cookies lol.

2. .22 is great, I've been building my stores of .22 as well.
    This week I started on some AK ammo and went with the Winchester White Box instead of Wolf so that I can reload it.

You sharing those cookies? Double stuffed Oreos?

3. TexasD

TexasD Member

I too have been building my stock of 22 as well as the 9mm, .40 and other calibers. .22 is great for alot of things. In the rural area that I live when a cow gets hit by a car most of the time it is a 22 that puts it out of its misery. When SHTF 22s will put food on the table quietly

4. 22 to put it down? you shoot into it's eyeball?

5. TexasD

TexasD Member

They generally put one right between the eyes in the center of the flat spot, they drop like a rock. You are talking close range on a cow that has broken legs and other injuries so it cannot run, however most of the time you can walk up close to the cows running loose in the pasture. They will even come to you thinking you are there to feed them. An oil company that I used to work for also had cattle and land to diversify their investments. We could pull into the pasture in that old blue pickup and cows would come running from as far as you could see. The ones that could not see the truck because of trees or whatever would come if you started honking the horn. They would even get pushy if it was taking too long to get the hay in the feeder and start trying to take it from you.

6. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

I too buy the Federal ammo. I get the 550 round box from WalMart for around $12. Funny thing is that when I bought my Heritage .22 single action along with the NIB firearm they send you the empty shell casing of a round that was test fired in the weapon. They use Federal :)

7. Our cows are like that.I feed along a electric fence,it sure makes them alot easier to feed.1hits the fence all that are touching her get shocked.
    I feed grain in a place away from the hay feeder's makes for a easier time of it.

8. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

ive been in texasD's shoes. growing up on a farm there isnt much that needs done that a 22 cant handle. the only time i really needed something more was when a pack of feral dogs was running around the area and i carried my dads .243. Other than that a .22 did it all.

SW

9. 2000 rds of 8mm and 2000 rds of 7.62x54R

I dug my receipts out, and I got the milsurp 54R in sealed tins and wooden crates for .09 cents a round 10 months ago. Its all about .17 cents a round now for the same ammo now

The 8mm is in tins and wooden crates too

10. neothespian

neothespian Member

Man I feel like the spendthrift: only 330 rounds of 7.62x54r

11. GlockMan

GlockMan Member

Good lord if I posted what I buy and shoot over a year you all would call me a Fibber! Lets just say 7,000rds of Wolf 9mm was a start for me and the wife a few months ago and we are adding as sales occur.

12. Silicon Wolverine

biggest one time purcahse was 10,000 rounds of wolf 7.62x39mm when SG had a 79.95 per 1000 round sale. Dad asked me what country i was planning to invade after the UPS dropped it off.

SW

13. LOL I hear you SW. For quite a while the USP man would say more bullets huh every time he delivered ;)

As far as Im concerned, more ammo is better than running out and having a metal club that you payed a lot of money for

14. GlockMan

GlockMan Member

Thats one smart more considering todays prices.

15. I just wish I had the disposable income to make purchases like that.

Oh and a secure vault to store it in would be nice as well....

16. Silicon Wolverine

the sad part is i used it all up within a year.

SW

17. ToddGray

ToddGray Guest

You didn't shoot 1 and buy 2? For shame SW... for shame.

18. Biggest single purchase was at the gun show. 1000 rds of 7.62x39, 500 rds .380, 1000 rds of 9mm, and 300 rds 8mm on stripper clips.