Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if adding a laser to my 995 carbine is worth the expense.

Any input from forum members would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I prefer a red dot sight, I can line up on a target faster than with a laser. I've seen a few carbines on this sight with both, that may be the way to go. I would suggest you try each way and see what way works best for you.

Ron M.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was asking about the laser, not the red dot. If I hear something go bump in the night, I want to be able to confront it. Of course, my hands will probably shake so much that the BG will get dizzy from the spinning red light!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dealer called last night and said that mine is coming with a laser. It seems that it was the only 995 he could get.

Does the laser come sighted in, like my Walther P22, or will I need to shoot more rounds to sight it in? It sounds like a real chore, but someone has to do it :D

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
You will have to sight it in. You can get a rough sight in by setting the laser dot on the same point as your iron sights at 10 yards. You of course may need to adjust the iron sights first, that just means MORE RANGE TIME!!! :D

Ron M.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was asking about the laser, not the red dot. If I hear something go bump in the night, I want to be able to confront it. Of course, my hands will probably shake so much that the BG will get dizzy from the spinning red light!
Not sure what you mean by that, if you have a reddot you can confront a BG too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just one guy's opinion, but handgun or carbine, some point and shoot practice at targets a mere 5-7 yards away is time well spent at the range.

In home confrontations are NOT going to be at 25 yards, maybe not even 25 feet? I suspect that sights are rarely actually important in most SD scenarios?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree. I like to practice at 7 yds when I practice defensive shooting, although I never have shot a carbine at that range. I makes a lot of sense, though.

Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You never know what tactical situation could be presented. A red dot sight requires that you have your eye level with the sight, thus shouldering the carbine in the standard fashion. A laser only requires that you point the barrel toward the threat and have a finger on the trigger - this can be performed from the hip, while lying on the ground with the weapon across your chest, or in any number of physical contortions.

I have both, replace batteries before they wear out, and keep spares on hand. Semper paratus.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
you can ALLWAYS do away with the useless laser and put a mimimag in the holder That way you will have some light to ID your target the laser is only good for letting the target know where you are.

I also got another Breach cover [or what ever you call I forgot the name of it] 1 has a red dot and the other has Iron sights

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought mine this week and it came with the laser. I did not plan on the laser but was not going to be picky. They are hard to come by these days as it is. I did not figure out how to do the sighting of the laser yet. Anyway the use I see for the laser is for long range, and maybe as an option to acquire target without having to use sights at all, even from waist. However, it can not come instead of a good scope which I plan to mount as well.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
The laser is a cool idea for longer distances, but for HD, I'd go with the flashlight suggestion.

My personal opinion is if it is something you want and you got the bucks for it, go for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am in the process of mounting one on my 995, it is being mounted on the side of the scope mount!!

Lasers are good, but it depends on what you plan on using the gun for. If nothing it will be Tacicool!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you think you will be using the 995 for HD, laser is optional, a tac flashlight is a must. After all, most times u have a HD situation it's dark and there's usually no time to hit the light switch. With a tac light on the gun, preferrably in a spot where u can push the remote switch when your hand is at it's natural position for holding the gun, you always see what u are aiming at BEFORE u shoot it. I'd hate to think someone shot in the dark and didn't see who it was before shooting a family member or someone else besides a "bad guy"

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got mine last Thurs. NIB. put the laser on, and there was 2 dots, 1 good dot, the other I call a phantom, I called the laser co. 6 times fri. to talk to customer service, and they would not put me through, (machine). So I called again today, and they still would not hook me up to customer service. So I called Hi-Point, and they said, not their problem and to take it up with the supplier, as the supplier adds the laser to the box. I have a laserlite, that I will mount to my 995, and figure that the laser that comes with the 995 is a waste. By the way, Hi Point has the laser and mount on their website under accessories. There is another new owner on this forum that has the same problem. Jim <><

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.